MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
jgarcia
On the road to being a farker

Default PBC and Lighter Fluid

I have two questions for the brethren

1 - Does lighter fluid ever go bad? I have some that is at least 10 years old since I do not use it anymore.

2 -for those that have a PBC, it says to use lighter fluid. Can I just fill the basket with unlit coals and dump 1/2 chimney of lit coals on top of it. Looking to see if any PBC owners have different methods for lighting their fuel.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
midwestsmokeboy
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah I dont see why. It might take a little longer on cooking times. Basically you are doing the minion method and will take longer to get up to temp. Go for it.
midwestsmokeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
el_matt
Babbling Farker

I doubt it goes bad, there's just no reason to use it. Fill your basket, then toss about 15 coals into your chimney, and get it going. As soon as the chimney is ready, dump it into your basket, and you're golden.

Matt

Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
I have two questions for the brethren

1 - Does lighter fluid ever go bad? I have some that is at least 10 years old since I do not use it anymore.
It's basically kerosene, so I don't see how it could go bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
2 -for those that have a PBC, it says to use lighter fluid. Can I just fill the basket with unlit coals and dump 1/2 chimney of lit coals on top of it. Looking to see if any PBC owners have different methods for lighting their fuel.
I've used both the lighter fluid and partial chimney method (about 1/4 of the PBC basket worth) and both work. However, I've abandoned the chimney and just use fluid now (even in competition).

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

nothing wrong with using a little lighter fluid.. when im on my small grill.. i use a little to get my fire started... burn it off for about 45 minutes to an hour before i put my meat on the lil cooker... food taste just fine...
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
I doubt it goes bad, there's just no reason to use it. Fill your basket, then toss about 15 coals into your chimney, and get it going. As soon as the chimney is ready, dump it into your basket, and you're golden.

Matt
This is what I do but I may take a leap of faith and start using lighter fluid.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I just fill the basket and then light up 10-15 briquettes in the chimney. Dump them on the basket 10 minutes later, place it in the bottom of the barrel, wait 20 minutes to let the cooker heat up, and then throw the meat on
Overall, takes 30 minutes for me to be hot and cooking'.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
jgarcia
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll try the lighter fluid, and if time allows this weekend try without also.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I used some old lighter fluid one time and got the worst, nastiest, stanky smoke you ever smelled or saw. I asked a friend what he thought happened and his best guess was that water over time built up in the container (cold weather) which caused the lighter fluid to become diluted and not burn as efficiently. The fire taking longer to get going caused more smoke than normal.

I smelled that nasty smell in my smoker for weeks.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

lighter fluid.. just follow direction and it will be fine.. I have never tasted in any of the cooks that I have done with the PBC
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

While I use a BDS (pretty much the same thing as the PBC) I use a weed burner to light mine then let it come up to temp w/ lid off but like others have said I'd assume the lighter fluid would be good unless water has leaked into somehow.
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ever try match light and regular Briquettes mixed?