MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Weber Performer Restore- Help

Brethren,

Just scored (I use that term loosley) a weber performer date code DI in dark green. When I got it home and started cheking it out I noticed the igniter was not working and the flame was more orange than blue. Took it apart this morning and got the igniter working but the flame is still the same.. more orange than blue. I would like to clean the end of the gas line that connects to the grill but wanted some advice as to what others have done to clean it out? I was thinking of soaking the end of the gas line in vinegar.

The second issue, there is a hole in the bottom of the bowl, right where one of the legs would attach to the bottom. The hole is about the size of a dime and the rust is isolated to one area. I somewhat fixed it buy putting a stainless bolt w washer on each side and a lock nut to cover the hole. Worked ok but after I got the ignition system working I noticed that the washer was not covering the entire hole. Had some plyers laying nearby so I tried to move the washer by force instead of loosing it and repositioning it (lazy mod). Well wouldn't you know it I knocked another small hole in it abouth the size of the end of a bic pen. Probably just end up putting another smaller stainess screw through that one as well but wanted to see if any other options were available. I do not have a welder but had considered JB Weld.

Any other repair tips for a rusted out kettle bowl?

Thanks for your help,

HOPTOAD
HOPTOAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

The more orange than blue problem is caused by lack of air, It needs more air. I can't remember if the Performer had air adjustment or not, maybe somebody else will know.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There's a ton of great info in this thread by Q-Dat. Good luck! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108452

Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

When I bought a used SS Performer last year it had a small, yellow flame.

Got a piece of wire and snaked it in there and out came a dime-sized spider!

Good blue flame ever since.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I took the igniter off the stainless tube, and took the tube off the rubber line then took it inside and washed it out in the sink. It mostly had dirt or wasp mud or something in there, but when I got it cleaned and put back together, it has worked like a champ.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Maybe you could replace the bowl with another one. If it's rusted out there's really no good fix for it.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Maybe you could replace the bowl with another one. If it's rusted out there's really no good fix for it.

I think I looked into this when I restored my redhead ss performer. The bowl was going to be $90 or so, but it wouldn't be red since it was discontinued. If I ever find a redhead performer with a decent bowl, I may replace it.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I got so frustrated with that propane starter I don't even use it anymore. Seemed I was cleaning it every third cook or so. I use a chimney and the paraffin wax cubes. They are dirt cheap and work like a champ for me.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I spent about 3 hours last night giving the grill a interior deep clean w oven cleaner, a razor scraper and some brillo.. still have about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to go. Could have gotten it done last night but I broke the scraper. Getting that replaced today then going to try to finish it up tonight. I have never seen so much gunk built up on a grill I am talking a good quarter inch on the rim and a eigth of an inch on the top of the bowl. Fired her up this morning just to make sure the ignitor was still working.. started on the third click w a blue flame..nice. I think tonight before I start cleaning I will get the grill good and warm then start again w the oven cleaner/ razor scraper. One thing I didnt think of til this morning is that I have a weed burner, that would have made quick work of the project if I had some propane...no such luck. Thinking I might have to get that filled when I pick up the scraper. One other good thing. The hole I knocked in the bottom is a little tiny thing maybe the size of the tip of a bic pin.. Think I will leave that be.
HOPTOAD is offline   Reply With Quote