• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Royal Oak Lump in a PBC

O

Oldbob

I was just wondering if anyone has tried Royal Oak Lump in their Pit Barrel Cooker?...I checked my stash... I have 7 bags in the garage I would Like to use before I buy anymore...I assume it would burn Hotter and Not as Long? Thanks in advance !!

I haven't tried it, heck I haven't even tried out my PBC yet, just got it last week.

I would think your assumptions are correct tho. That being said, I know there have been a couple other posts from those who have used alternative fuels from the KBB in their PBC's with good results.

Probably a few practice cooks to get time and temps where you lik'em and your good to go.

I use it in my.... UDS..... Never used it solely though, but mixed with briq's. Works fine for me like that.

I did lump in mine once. Didn't really care for it. Burned too hot too quick.

I did a half and half of RO Briquettes and RO lump one time also and it was a little better.

You could use lump but like already stated you will have to adjust cook times because of the temp increase. Also don't be surprised if you had to add some fuel. Try it out and see :thumb:

On a side note: I burn Stubb's Briquettes in mine regularly and have great results. Never actually used KBB in it so can't speculate on a comparison between the two.

Last edited:
i tried it..

would recommend sticking with kingsford. The lump burned hot, and uneven, and it went out on one side from the drippings of the meat.

try it.. your mileage may vary.

I'm guessing some high quality charcoal like Stubb's is probably the best one to use in it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input!! My PBC is still in the box in the garage...but when I get it ready for the maiden voyage I will report back !!

I'm new to the PBC, and had problems regulating the temps with the recommended Kingsford. The PBC help line told me that Kingsford had recently changed their composition, and that I should give Royal Oak a try. Although I had a brisket in the fridge, I did a test with a chicken, and the results were perfection!
Looking forward to the weekend for the brisket!

I've used it plenty. It works just fine. RO burns hotter than other lump but it lasts through a whole cook in the PBC so it doesn't really matter. On my kamado it's a whole another story.

I use 80% KBB and 20% lump mixed together.

Back