MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone else pre order the new Salt Lick (Famous Texas BBQ) Cookbook ?

Ordered mine a month ago and it came in yesterday. 330 pages, hardback, lots of color pictures for about every recipie, some history and info (like on the weekend they serve over 3000 people) lots of recipies from A-Z (some are step by step with pictures) , some real good BBQ info (wish there was a little more on Texas sausage). Have not had a chance to really go through it all in detail yet but several recipies caught my eye.

The Saltlick..

Blackberry Cobbler and Pecan Pie...both look very good and there are several other fine looking desert recipies.

Chicken Fried Venison...looks mouthwatering

Jalapeno Tomitillo Horshradish Sauce...very nice looking side for ribeye

Potato Salad..(no mayo, mustard etc. - uses salt lick bbq sauce)

Smoked Brisket Hash...looks 2 good

Smoked Turkey Enchiladas...looks outstanding

and so many more Texas Chimichanga, Brisket and Egg Tacos, Orange Rum Cake, Baked Sweet Onions <---says it will blow a gals skirt up

If your like me and have several cookbooks you would trade back in, this one you would not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Salt Lick Cookbook.jpg (45.4 KB, 227 views)
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good! I've had Salt Lick BBQ but didn't know they wrote a cookbook. I will have to look it up!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

i live 30 min from the mothership and go there all the time. sausage is awesome and so are the ribs. brisket.................well, we'll leave that to Aaron and Mueller's. They have a huge building with gas fired steam smokers for brisket so I'm not a huge fan there. I'm sure they don't care because they probably serve 5000+ people every friday, saturday and Sunday. Great place and BYOB too!
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
caseydog

I also like the ribs and sausage at The Salt Lick, but there are other Hill Country BBQ joints that easily beat their brisket.

They have some unique sauces, that I personally like, although I am not a big sauce guy. Their rub recipe is common knowledge -- equal parts k-salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. It is a simple rub that I use from time-to-time.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexsmoker View Post
i live 30 min from the mothership and go there all the time. sausage is awesome and so are the ribs. brisket.................well, we'll leave that to Aaron and Mueller's. They have a huge building with gas fired steam smokers for brisket so I'm not a huge fan there. I'm sure they don't care because they probably serve 5000+ people every friday, saturday and Sunday. Great place and BYOB too!
The Salt Lick is using gas cookers? Wow, that sucks! Such sacrilege going on in the name of the all mighty dollar!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
The Salt Lick is using gas cookers? Wow, that sucks! Such sacrilege going on in the name of the all mighty dollar!
it does suck but you should see the freaking crowds on the weekends. no way they could do it legit. they probably do 700 briskets a day on most weekends. it's such a cool place I'm not even mad at them. I never order brisket there though.

It's an awesome place so I don't want to tell anyone it's not. It's just not a place that's known for killer brisket. I mean, I'm a total brisket snob and i go there on my birthday almost every year. Great place, serviceable food.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Boshizzle

I thought the brisket was way too smokey but whatever. Snow's, kreutz, smiteys and Franklin was much better.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

From what i could tell, the big open pit you see on the cover and as you walk in is basically a show pit where they reheat the previously cooked and cooled meat.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I thought the brisket was way too smokey but whatever. Snow's, kreutz, smiteys and Franklin was much better.
Kreutz and Smitty's do brisket on wood burring pits but they go very hot and fast. I'm not a huge fan of their briskets but I love them all for different reasons. Franklin, Mueller's, and Snows are the real freakin deal when it comes to Cen-Tex Brisket. Kreutz and smitty's are really sausage houses and I'll put their sausage up against anybody anywhere

Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mmmm, Franklin.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
BBQMaverick

Quote:
^ They may do the gas fired steam smokers for brisket becasue of the masses ?

However in the the book, pages 188-200 there is a lot on brisket, brisket 101 including a lot of detailed informion and pictures. Seaoning. cutting , etc..When it comes to cooking the brisket they show what looks like a offset (can's see the whole thing), starting out searing at 225 F and then working down to 195 and finishing off ar 185 F cooking a total of roughly 75 minutes per pound through the process = 17 1/2 hours for 14 lb brisket.

Your lucky to live where you do for access to great Texas BBQ. I live in Western Kentucky and we have some very good BBQ joints (but no sausage) and no place like this that feeds that many people on a weekend.

Anytime I can get a nice hardback cookbook from a famous place like this with this much info and unique recipes (A-Z including but other than just BBQ) for under $50, it's a no brainer for me.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
BBQMaverick

Quote:
Kreutz and Smitty's do brisket on wood burring pits but they go very hot and fast. I'm not a huge fan of their briskets but I love them all for different reasons. Franklin, Mueller's, and Snows are the real freakin deal when it comes to Cen-Tex Brisket. Kreutz and smitty's are really sausage houses and I'll put their sausage up against anybody anywhere

I have got to get to Lockhart and try some sausage. I can't for the life of me figure out why BBQ joints up this way don't do a Texas style sausage.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
From what i could tell, the big open pit you see on the cover and as you walk in is basically a show pit where they reheat the previously cooked and cooled meat.
That is correct

Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMaverick View Post
^ They may do the gas fired steam smokers for brisket becasue of the masses ?

However in the the book, pages 188-200 there is a lot on brisket, brisket 101 including a lot of detailed informion and pictures. Seaoning. cutting , etc..When it comes to cooking the brisket they show what looks like a offset (can's see the whole thing), starting out searing at 225 F and then working down to 195 and finishing off ar 185 F cooking a total of roughly 75 minutes per pound through the process = 17 1/2 hours for 14 lb brisket.

Your lucky to live where you do for access to great Texas BBQ. I live in Western Kentucky and we have some very good BBQ joints (but no sausage) and no place like this that feeds that many people on a weekend.

Anytime I can get a nice hardback cookbook from a famous place like this with this much info and unique recipes (A-Z including but other than just BBQ) for under $50, it's a no brainer for me.
That is exactly why they do it. You should see this place on a weekend. Seriously, probably 5000-7000 people every nice Fri-Sat-Sunday. They have cops to direct traffic and this place is 20 miles form anything. It is out on an old country road 40 minutes outside Austin. Crazy.

I'm sure they know what they are doing when it comes to brisket and I would think their book would be more the way they learned to cook brisket. It just got so crazy that the business dictated they had to change their model to serve the masses. I would trust their book as a great place to start for TX Brisket. There is no more cool TX BBQ joint than Salt Lick. It's so cool I don't even mind that their brisket is only so-so. So many other great things there that it really doesn't matter. Plus it's byob so you just go out there and hang outside, listen to live music and toss a few back while you are waiting 2 hrs for your table (no reservations)

Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMaverick View Post
I have got to get to Lockhart and try some sausage. I can't for the life of me figure out why BBQ joints up this way don't do a Texas style sausage.
I'm pretty sure they ship it. you want Kreutz or Smitty's (they are the same). Kreutz would be more likely to ship than smitty's. Get some, it's awesome