• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Keeping Temp UP in my OTG

CPMatthew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greeting Brethren and Sistren,

A quick question for the masters of meat. How do you keep the temps UP on your OTG or similar cooker. I was doing a brisket last weekend and trying to go hot and fast. The OTG seemed to settle in at 340 or so, and I felt that was good. I added fuel every hour or so, but after about 4 hours, even with the vents open all the way the temp wouldn't come above 250 and was heading down pretty fast.

Some details on the set up. I fill two Weber char-baskets with unlit KB and added a starter cube to each with the lid off. After the started cubes were gone and the coals were going, I put the lid on with the vents open. I wasn't paying attention and didn't have the lid all the way on. So, my temps got away from me. I closed the vents to a sliver and waited for it to come down. Once it settled in around 340, I put the brisket on. I checked the temps each hour and added a few briquets to each side.

Sorry this is so long, I need to learn to take pictures.

Thanks,
Chris

Try lump, especially in winter. You probably got ash choked and cold wind can be a bugger, a wind block helps alot. Lump tastes better, burns way hotter meaning you can use less to get the same heat, and makes 1/4th of the ash. Once I got used to lump's personality, I fell in love and will never go back to briquettes. Just my $.02

I was afraid I was getting ash build. I tried banging on the legs of the kettle with the plastic handle of my grill brush. I read somewhere that you can do that to refresh your fire without getting ash on the food.

Aside from lump charcoal, are there any good methods for preventing/clearing ash build up.

Try using a set up like this it will run 12 hrs at 275 the only fire maintenance is to rotate the lid 90 deg after 4 hrs.
Pictures001.jpg

This is after 13 hrs if you look close you will see a wisp of smoke at about 10 o'clock the unburned coals go down to the 7 o'clock position.
DSCN0722.jpg

During a long cook just use the One Touch Lever on the bottom and move it from side to side to remove the ash, then put it back were it was and you should be good to go.

Back