Packer Time Question

gmag

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am cooking a 15lb packer this weekend. I cook at 275 and I need it done and rested by 2pm. Suggestions on what time I should it it on?

At 275, I would plan on about 1.5 hours/lb total (including hold time) to be safe.

I re-checked the weight. Its 13.6lbs. At 1.5 hrs/lb that's just over 20 hours. Does that sound right?

I re-checked the weight. Its 13.6lbs. At 1.5 hrs/lb that's just over 20 hours. Does that sound right?

Seems kinda long to me. I would start checking for probe tender at the thickest part of the flat at 12-14 hours with those temps.

you said it was 15 lb SO... At 275 deg without wrapping figure 1 hr lb after trimming + 2 hrs rest time. Now you have corrected yourself saying it is 13.6 lb in the package. Average trim is about 2 lbs so go long and figure it will be 12 lb. = 12 hrs Cook + 2 hrs rest 14 hrs, have it on by midnight you should be good.

It depends on the cooker, but at 275 and hour per pound is typical, plus two hours for resting plus an hour or two fudge factor.

I'm in a similar predicament. Does the 1 hr /lb @ 275 metric including foiling? I don't think it does.

I was not including foiling (I don't foil brisket) in my 1.5. That was including rest time though. The OP made it sound like it had to be done at a specific time, so I'd rather be safe. That being said, foiling does make the time to finish safer. I might go that route and shorten the cook with a hard deadline.

Back