MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
BrandonBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brandon
Default KCBS Comp in town, do they allow spectators?

So I've been doing backyard stuff for about a year now and feel like I make some pretty good at pork shoulders (probably done 25 of them the past year with never any leftovers) but I still suck at chicken and haven't done much beef.

There is a KCBS comp in town this weekend (Warsaw, IN) and I was wondering if they allow spectators? I would love to meet some fellow Q'ers and sponge up some knowledge from the pros if I can.

Any of the fellow brethren competing? There is a steak cook-off on Saturday night too.

[B]On the 24' porch trailer:[/B]
Stumps XL Stretch

[B]On the patio:[/B]
BBQ Guru Shotgun - Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha - WSM 22 - Weber Q2200 - Masterbuilt MES 130B
BrandonBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can walk through the event on Friday, and should have a fair chance of visiting with some of the competitors. I usually break the ice by inquiring about or complementing their smokers and maybe asking to take a photo, then striking up a conversation, and wishing them the best of luck.

On Saturday, you can still walk around the event but it's crunch time for the teams.... they don't have any time to visit, so you sort of watch from afar. The last turn-in is 1:30 and results are announced by 3 or 4.

There may be food vendors, and some competitors will vend certain events, and sometimes on Friday there is a peoples choice where you can get small samples.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Depends on the event. Some comps are just a part of a larger festival, or celebration. City or sponsors may have retail BBQ and other vendors available, kid games, etc. on site. If it's more of a comp, then see Third Eye post.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
BrandonBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
You can walk through the event on Friday, and should have a fair chance of visiting with some of the competitors. I usually break the ice by inquiring about or complementing their smokers and maybe asking to take a photo, then striking up a conversation, and wishing them the best of luck.

On Saturday, you can still walk around the event but it's crunch time for the teams.... they don't have any time to visit, so you sort of watch from afar. The last turn-in is 1:30 and results are announced by 3 or 4.

There may be food vendors, and some competitors will vend certain events, and sometimes on Friday there is a peoples choice where you can get small samples.

So Friday would be the good day to go then? I definitely wouldn't mind sampling some of the country's finest Q.

Stumps XL Stretch

BBQ Guru Shotgun - Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha - WSM 22 - Weber Q2200 - Masterbuilt MES 130B

Old 05-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Hi Brandon! We'll be there! We're doing steak and KCBS.

Yes, Friday is much better for visiting, but unless I am in the middle of something I always try to talk to folks at any time. Even on Friday night we may be busy at certain times, especially with the steak cook off going on.

But, definitely take the time to walk around if you can! Most of the teams are glad to talk BBQ, but just understand if they are in the middle of something and don't be offended. Just stop by later.

Also, at most competitions the teams aren't allowed to give out samples to the public. We are not health department certified, and also we don't want to take business away from the vendors (if there are any). BUT... We can give out samples to our friends (hint hint ), but as mentioned, we are usually sequestered in our trailer from about 11:45 to 1:30 in Saturday.

Please look for us on both days! Our team is Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que and we cook out of a Wolf Pack toy hauler with 4 Hunsaker drums (and a PK360 for steak). Once we turn in our steak we will be prepping our meats for the KCBS comp, but can still talk. Once that is done, we'll be out and about visiting our friends and neighbors and socializing until we run out of steam (usually about 11 since I am up at 5:30 to light the first two drums)

Here is our typical setup so you can find us easier.

Also, any tips for getting to the competition site? Construction to avoid, etc. This is our first time competing in Warsaw.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBBQ View Post
So Friday would be the good day to go then? I definitely wouldn't mind sampling some of the country's finest Q.
Yes, Friday afternoon if you are hoping to visit with some of the teams, and Saturday if there are other things to do or see, or if they will be having vendors selling BBQ. In my area one of my favorite competitions has a farmers market, beer garden, car show, peoples choice judging, food vendors, and 2 days of bluegrass.

I looked on the KCBS schedule, and it has a local website address for the event but I couldn't find anything about the BBQ competition. I did find some past years Facebook pages for the Rockin' BBQ but not a 2019 page. Maybe you will have better luck seeing what activities are available.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Friday is when the teams will be less busy. As far as sampling their bbq, that isnt a normal thing to do Friday. Some of them may cook things Friday, but not for competition. The real eating bbq, doesn't happen until the next day. After you get to know a team Friday, they may be willing to share some with you after all the turn ins are done? I have left the judges tent after everything was done and walked through the teams areas and had people offer me food. It depends on the team though. If they have public things, there could be a vendor cooking food?

Old 05-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
BrandonBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Hi Brandon! We'll be there! We're doing steak and KCBS.

Yes, Friday is much better for visiting, but unless I am in the middle of something I always try to talk to folks at any time. Even on Friday night we may be busy at certain times, especially with the steak cook off going on.

But, definitely take the time to walk around if you can! Most of the teams are glad to talk BBQ, but just understand if they are in the middle of something and don't be offended. Just stop by later.

Also, at most competitions the teams aren't allowed to give out samples to the public. We are not health department certified, and also we don't want to take business away from the vendors (if there are any). BUT... We can give out samples to our friends (hint hint ), but as mentioned, we are usually sequestered in our trailer from about 11:45 to 1:30 in Saturday.

Please look for us on both days! Our team is Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que and we cook out of a Wolf Pack toy hauler with 4 Hunsaker drums (and a PK360 for steak). Once we turn in our steak we will be prepping our meats for the KCBS comp, but can still talk. Once that is done, we'll be out and about visiting our friends and neighbors and socializing until we run out of steam (usually about 11 since I am up at 5:30 to light the first two drums)

Here is our typical setup so you can find us easier.

Also, any tips for getting to the competition site? Construction to avoid, etc. This is our first time competing in Warsaw.
That's awesome to hear! Let me know your favorite beverage and I would be glad to refuel the tanks and talk BBQ.

Coming in from US30 its actually pretty easy to get to. There is a little construction on the shoulder in town but you can't miss it without hitting a bunch of tiny side streets. The campground is only like 5 minutes away from US30 on the actual Lake Winona.

Let me know where you're coming from/what route you're taking and I'll highlight a map for you.

One tip of advice to pass to your fellow competitors... DO NOT SPEED AND DO NOT DRINK/DRIVE in Winona Lake or on US30 within 5 miles of the venue. They are probably the worst cops in the county and will drag you out of the car and search it for going 5mph over, so just be careful there.

I don't expect everyone to be friendly or give out stuff at all. I've been around various other comps (car stereo, strongman, etc..) and know when it's go time, it's no time.

Look forward to meeting you out there! DM me your number and we can link up!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stumps XL Stretch

Old 05-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #9
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I wouldn't expect to see much as the teams are in their trailers/tents during the times that you may get a glimpse of their food, but definitely strike up some convos outside of that window or on Friday. After turn ins would be good too. We are always happy to discuss our setups, competing in general, smokers, etc.

FWIW, what/how we cook in comps is much different than at home....

Old 05-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post

FWIW, what/how we cook in comps is much different than at home....

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 05-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBBQ View Post
That's awesome to hear! Let me know your favorite beverage and I would be glad to refuel the tanks and talk BBQ.

Coming in from US30 its actually pretty easy to get to. There is a little construction on the shoulder in town but you can't miss it without hitting a bunch of tiny side streets. The campground is only like 5 minutes away from US30 on the actual Lake Winona.

Let me know where you're coming from/what route you're taking and I'll highlight a map for you.

One tip of advice to pass to your fellow competitors... DO NOT SPEED AND DO NOT DRINK/DRIVE in Winona Lake or on US30 within 5 miles of the venue. They are probably the worst cops in the county and will drag you out of the car and search it for going 5mph over, so just be careful there.

I don't expect everyone to be friendly or give out stuff at all. I've been around various other comps (car stereo, strongman, etc..) and know when it's go time, it's no time.

Look forward to meeting you out there! DM me your number and we can link up!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Good advice on the police situation! Thanks!

We're coming from the western suburbs of Chicago. We'll be coming into Indiana on 80/94 and will cut down to 30 probably at Indiana rt. 49, but it depends on traffic. My parents and sister live in Valpo, so we're familiar with that area.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Tags
Competition, kcbs, kcbs competition