MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
tmarryot
Found some matches.

Default Finding a licensed commercial kitchen

Does anybody have any ideas on how to find a licensed commercial kitchen? HD says that I need one as a base of operations for food prep, storage, water and disposal of waste water. Looking into local restaurants, churches, VFWs but was wondering if anyone had any advice. Thanks!
tmarryot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

I shared kitchen space with a bakery for my first year of operation. The trick is scheduling your work around the owner's hours. The HD probably will want to see that you are washing & storing all your equipment in the licensed kitchen. Best of luck!!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
nitelightboy
Knows what a fatty is.

Some groups like the Elk's Lodge or the Free Masons often will rent out their kitchens to caterers.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
princess49615
Got Wood.

Check your local Flea Market. Our local flea market has a full service restaurant in it. But just a thought:)
princess49615 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Does Anne Arundel County want that for vending or catering?
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess49615 View Post
Check your local Flea Market. Our local flea market has a full service restaurant in it. But just a thought:)

I never knew that some cities have a local Flea Market
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
tmarryot
Found some matches.

Yes Anne Arundel County you need a base of operations (commercial kitchen), with a letter from the owner, before they will grant a license. Pain in the butt.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Anybody work with butcher shops? Seems like a match made in heaven (if they can match Costco's prices).

Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

churches, halls, all the service organizations. You'll need to keep a log of when you use it, etc plus of course receipts for rental to prove you used it. Now if you have a trailer with a waste water tank then you need a place to dump it. I use a local campground that has it's water tested 3 times per year and is licensed for waste water disposal. Can't just a hall for that. I'd start by asking the HD specific questions so you know exactly what you need.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarryot View Post
Yes Anne Arundel County you need a base of operations (commercial kitchen), with a letter from the owner, before they will grant a license. Pain in the butt.
Feel lucky up here in Carroll County they will not let you do that but in Baltimore County they will.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
tmarryot
Found some matches.

Great idea about using a campground for waste water dump!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
goodall
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hi everybody, I'm french, new and happy to meet all of you !!
My question is: I think that you can built your own kitchen base but do you know what would be the reglementation ?? Maybe in your garage with some transformation ???
goodall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Your local HD will give you guidelines but trust me, it will become cost prohibitive unless you do a lot of catering and have room for a separate building.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

In Kansas, you can get your R-V licensed as a commercial kitchen.
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

In Canada we have Sani dumps for R.V,s that I use as they are free the only thing they are becoming concerned about is bringing an out side hose inside my vehicle soI have a tap tofill my water tank outside and am able to switch it over to fill my coffee urns steam table etc with a system hose inside that doesn't go outside, this has been standard in California for quite a few years. Finding out what the HD wants and trying to improve on it goes a long way rather than trying to buck them

Thanks from:--->