MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
fatty
On the road to being a farker

Default Ham Brine

Hi folks,

I have a fresh 10 kilo pork leg and I want to make ham.
I was thinking a tasty Parisian ham or some kind of maple ham...I am in Quebec so I can get my hand on some sweet sweet maple syrup...
But is you have a tasty ham recipe just let me know!

I need recipe suggestions.

I want to wet brine for 10 days then smoke.

I have pure saltpeter as it was super hard to find insta cure or Prague powder here.

so if you can give me a good brine using saltpeter that would be awesome!

Thanks!
Fatty
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

a good maple ham will make a puppy pull a freight train......just sayin.

as for recipes..i have no experience doing a ham, so I can't offer any help there.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
rifraf

do a search at the bottom of the page i have found lots and lots of great recipes from there

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

From my experiences and from books that I have read, saltpeter is Nitrates not Nitrites and should not be used in place of cure#1....... Cure #1 should be clearly marked 6.25% sodium nitrite.

Cure #1, Prague Powder #1, Insta-cure #1 should be readily available. Meat markets, sausage maker supplier's, all sell some form of Cure#1. Even Morton makes Tender Quick or Sugar Cure. I have seen all of the above in cooking stores, butcher shops, and even on E-Bay and Amazon. http://sausagemaker.com in Buffalo, NY, and http://lemproducts.com all ship to Canada. Also try http://stuffers.com which is out of British Columbia, and http://www.canadacompound.com out of Toronto..

Even Williams Sonoma, and Carrefour have it in a little jar near the spices.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Wampus

I did this one last Christmas.
It was AWESOME!!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149228

Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I'm putting a few legs down now, my Brine from under here would be as useless to you as tits on a bull.
What I can say, use a recipe then change the sugar content One part Maple syrup to one part Sugar, to as much maple as you want.
I use the maple on our bacon and its dam fine.
Our Nitrite are 11.5 percent so grab cure one for a wet mix, cure 2 is for dry curing I believe.
just for interest sake I am using Maple and sumac in this lot.
The sumac should replace any Berry recipe.
Any river cottage recipe from Google will be pretty good, I love his work.

Whatever brine you use make it a day ahead then it will be at temperature as you put it all together

Last edited by Titch; 10-18-2013 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: Thought some more
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
fatty

got some cure today from my sausage maker...I did not think to ask him...gonna do something very simple, brine; salt sugar cure...his recomendaion was add some juniper berry jucie ( boil the berries then squeeze the juice into the brine...brine 5-6 days, then smoke, I will then start brushing it after about 5 hours in the smoker with a maple/spice mop and see what happens...
But lets here some more ideas...

Old 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Phrasty's brine is on post #13.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146985

If that's not enough to get your ham juices flowing here's more inspiration.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=151497

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

A ham is pretty thick.You should consider injecting.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
fatty

Oh boy I think I have problems...so I skinned the leg and put it in a brine with a few coriander seeds, all spice seeds, and a few juniper berrys...now for the i have problems part...I rendered all teh fat i could to make lard for fried chicken and then i processed all the skin and made pork rinds with it soooo good sooooo dirty.... I really used everything form teh leg i could I will make a pea soup with the bone...vegans should be proud of me using everything, hahahahaha.

Ok so I am going to smoke the leg using a mix of cherry and apple which i think will give it a nice taste i might use sugar maple only i have not decided yet...any thoughts...
still looking for a mop/glaze...any suggestions...maybe a apple juice/honey/vinegar concoction, or maple syrup/Dijon/apple juice, or apricot preserve and apple juice...
I did not inject the leg as it is sitting in brine for 8 days, I do not want to pull it out of the brine your thoughts...
also I am seeing reading that I should remove teh leg 24 hours before I smoke rnise it in fresh water and let it dry...your thoughts...maybe i wil inject it with some brine and then let it sit for 24 hours to dry...
any help will be welcome...
tanks
fatty

Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
fatty

found these...
Old Fashioned Glaze:
Combine 2 cups (500 mL) brown sugar with 2 Tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour, 2 Tbsp (25 mL) corn syrup, 2 tsp (10 mL) dry mustard, and 3 Tbsp (45 mL) white wine vinegar; mix well.
Canadian Maple Glaze:
Combine ¼ cup (50 mL) Dijon, mustard with ¼ cup (50 mL) maple syrup and ½ tsp (2mL) dried thyme; mix well.
Maple-Ginger Glaze for Ham:
Combine 1/4 cup (125mL) maple syrup, 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp (15 mL) each Dijon mustard and lemon juice and a dash of powdered ginger.
Honey-Orange Glaze for Ham:
Mix 1/2 cup (125 mL) each honey or corn syrup and orange juice with 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar.
Pineapple-Apricot Glaze for Ham:
Combine 1/2 cup (125mL) each apricot nectar and pineapple juice with 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar.
Red Currant Glaze for Ham:
Stir 1/2 tsp (2 mL) powdered mustard and 1 to 3 tbsp (15 to 50 mL) horseradish into 1 cup (250 mL) red currant jelly.

Preparation time. 15 minutes
Cooking time. 10 minutes Ingredients
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/8 teaspoon sage flakes
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves

Ingredients
3 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup prepared yellow ballpark mustard
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Southern Comfort
1 teaspoon salt

what you all think...

Old 10-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

10 days may not be long enough in the brine to fully cure it to the center. The temp should be kept around 36*F. It will not cure at 32 or below and there is a risk of spoilage above 40.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
10 days may not be long enough in the brine to fully cure it to the center. The temp should be kept around 36*F. It will not cure at 32 or below and there is a risk of spoilage above 40.
I agree, if you don't inject along the bone, ten days may not be long enough to fully cure the leg.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

^^^+1 If you don't inject you can expect a uneven saturation of the brine within the the meat also. At a minimum inject around the bone. Maybe passed that point now.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #15
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

didn't read all the other posts, I am sure they are fine, but it you don't inject and brine... you will be very sorry.