MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris
Default Bacon Question?

So I finally got my first pork belly. It came with the rind on still. I was thinking I needed to remove it before I cured and smoke the belly. We have a set of dull kitchen aid knives, and after about 10 min wrestling with this thing I decided to go look for a video of how to do this. Well what I learned is too just leave the skin on till after I smoke it. Is this correct? I went ahead and put my cure on it, so I hope it's okay to do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

YES!

When it's done smoking, carefully remove the skin, leaving as much fat as possible. Cut up the skin into small squares. They are delicious in salads, soups, etc.

And the good news is the skin comes off WAY easier after smoking!

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Thanks... I asked for some Victoronix knives for Christmas. I may have to go and buy a knife to help me with this belly. I asked for the Slicer, a 8inch Chef, and a pairing to get me started. I look forward to trying this bacon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Desert Hawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischandler71 View Post
I look forward to trying this bacon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Once you taste the home made bacon, you will never buy bacon from the store again.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I have to admit I have never hand-sliced home-smoked bacon. I bought a broken Globe slicer (old, very cheap) a few years ago, took it all apart, bought another junker for parts, put one together, sold off extra parts to recoup $$. Now I have a fully automatic Globe slicer I only have $100 or so into.

It does a really great job on bacon. Even better on home-smoked hams, which to me taste best sliced really thin.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischandler71 View Post
So I finally got my first pork belly. It came with the rind on still. I was thinking I needed to remove it before I cured and smoke the belly. We have a set of dull kitchen aid knives, and after about 10 min wrestling with this thing I decided to go look for a video of how to do this. Well what I learned is too just leave the skin on till after I smoke it. Is this correct? I went ahead and put my cure on it, so I hope it's okay to do it this way.

I leave the skin on and remove it before slicing ......

Next buy a boneless butt and cure it. Then roll, tie, and smoke it.... Makes great buckboard type bacon for sandwiches on bagels or rolls.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote