50 pound hog

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am cooking a 50 pound hog tomorrow for a party that starts at 3pm. How long will this little guy take? I have never smoked a pig before.:eek: I always do them cuban style in a box. :shock: PLease help with timing!!!!:icon_blush:

What are you cooking it in?
The Spicebox?

I've been wanting to do a whole hog in my large but I'm not sure how big of a hog
I can use and not sure about technique and timing as well.
Rub, inject, foiling diffent parts at different times ect.

I'll be watching this thread to learn more.

I have never smoked a pig before.:eek: I always do them cuban style in a box.

:confused:

Edit: sorry forgot to provide input from our whole hog at the Qlossal.

I assume you want the entire hog pullable/choppable? If so, plan on about 1.25-1.5 hours per 10 lbs @ 250*. So at 50 lbs - 6.25 to 7.5 hours and let it rest for about an hour in a cooler (if you have a 100 qt or larger). Holding longer should be OK, if you want to plan on a 7.5 hour cook and an hour hold - then if it's done a bit early no problem.

Last edited:
We did one about that size earlier this summer and cooked in on an above ground pit we built from directions Cowgirls gave us. We had a pretty constant temperature of about 225 to 250. We smoked it for 6 hours and then slid it off onto a sheet tray and wrapped it up in foil and put it back on the fire for a couple of hours, as you can see it was fall of the bone done and the best "pulled pork" I have ever had. It actually was done much sooner than I thought...........sure was good. Can't wait to see some pron.......

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 139
  • pig roast 020.jpg
    pig roast 020.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 141
  • pig roast 008.jpg
    pig roast 008.jpg