MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

TPP, thanks for that info and especially the pictures! Gotta be one of the most useful bits of info I've found here in a while!
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

First, thanks a bunch for the information.

How do you keep the parsley fresh and unwilted until turn-ins start? I suppose laying a couple damp paper towels on top would help, but is there a specific method?

Thanks again,
John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #18
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
First, thanks a bunch for the information.

How do you keep the parsley fresh and unwilted until turn-ins start? I suppose laying a couple damp paper towels on top would help, but is there a specific method?

Thanks again,
John

If you make the boxes the morning of, place the boxes in a cooler until turn-in. If made the night before, lay a damp paper towel on top of the parsley and then place in a cooler.

The box I pictured lasted for 6 days in my fridge without any wilting using a damp paper towel.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #19
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Priceless knowlege there Paul.

Major thanks!

Mods, I'm thinking this should be put in the Road Map section.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #20
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Great stuff...thanks for sharing :)
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #21
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
We have put parsley boxes together as early 9 or 10pm the night before turn-in. Unless you have really bad parsley, it won't noticably wilt.

Just to put it in perspective...A buddy of ours gets his parsley direct from a wholesaler (not the grocery store). He got a whole case and used 1/4 to 1/3 of it for one contest and put the rest in his fridge. He used the parsley from the same case 2 weeks later and said that it actually looked better the second time around. Now I think he said he picks up his cases a week early and let's them sit in the fridge. Just think how long it has been sitting in the cooler at the grocery store before it comes out to the front of the store.

So letting it sit in a cool box over night isn't going to hurt much.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #22
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Paul, thanks. We use that technique this weekend on our boxes and received 171 of the 180 appearance points possible, only one 7!
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #23
matthew burt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Paul, thanks. We use that technique this weekend on our boxes and received 171 of the 180 appearance points possible, only one 7!
way to go on your reserve this weekend, I see Rob (munchin hogs) finally got that grand for the year too.

2 Stumps Platinum 5 (husker red)
Backwoods Professionall
custom mobile pit
Traeger Jr, WSM
new custom built insulated firebox offset
matthew burt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #24
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Woo hoo! That is very impressive, my friend. Nice work.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #25
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Congrats! I'm surprised you even got a 7.....I know there are those that are not in favor of these types of presentations, and I myself wonder if the greenery is necessary, it should be a meat contest.
Now, with that said......in 2 contests this year, and 2 GCs, we have not received a presentation score below an 8, with an average of four 9's and two 8's per catagory. Part of those appearance scores is the product itself, I understand that, but the greenery sure isn't hurting the scores at all......

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #26
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBQ View Post
Priceless knowlege there Paul.

Major thanks!

Mods, I'm thinking this should be put in the Road Map section.
Are you planning to use this idea somewhere? Like Kettering maybe? Still haven't received your entry and don't want to see you miss this big show

Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

I've been practicing on this method for a couple of months now. I used it in Pine Bluff and got great appearance scores. Here is my chicken box that got my best overall score and appearance scores were 9 8 9 9 9 8

I also discovered in my practice cooks that you can see a lot of things in a picture that you don't notice with the naked eye. I took pics of all my boxes before I closed them and uploaded them to my laptop. On this pic I straightend the crooked breast slice and cleaned off some of the little black thingy's that were stuck on the meat before I turned it in.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #28
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Last season I had judged and noticed a couple boxes that had beds of Parsley and overly sauced thighs and the greenery stuck so much that it had to wiped off with napkin-I brought it to the attention of the table captain and was told not to judge it down.

But I too tried the "putting green" this weekend on my Chicken and got 165 and a Second Place prize, I'd like to think the judges that gave me a 6 & 7 for Appearance knew what they were looking at because they did score it high for T & T.

I snipped up 6 or 7 bunches of Parsley the day before and did a practice box so the next day it went real smooth.

Thanks for the tutorial Paul!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #29
T.K.
On the road to being a farker

I'm glad the Florida Barbeque Association doesn't allow garnish. It's saves time & money. But I need to practice since my first KCBS comp is coming up next month.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #30
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
I've been practicing on this method for a couple of months now. I used it in Pine Bluff and got great appearance scores. Here is my chicken box that got my best overall score and appearance scores were 9 8 9 9 9 8

I also discovered in my practice cooks that you can see a lot of things in a picture that you don't notice with the naked eye. I took pics of all my boxes before I closed them and uploaded them to my laptop. On this pic I straightend the crooked breast slice and cleaned off some of the little black thingy's that were stuck on the meat before I turned it in.
Best looking box I didn't see.
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
[URL="http://www.redlionspicyfoods.com"]www.bigchippersbbq.com[/URL]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote