MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEvoy AZ View Post
Not many people were doing peoples choice at this event because of some of the heath departments demands. At the last second we agreed to do it because we wanted to help the charity, since there was not much participation in pc at this event, It was otherwise a fun event. I guess next year it is unfortunate we probably will not be doing PC. By the way we did well in the health inspection, the inspector found no violations.
Sadly I heard from the original organizer of the event I am talking about(Storm Lake,Iowa) that because of the HD most teams refused to do PC that particular year. Teams that had already agreed to do it but then felt dealing with the HD wasnt worth it. And they, the organizers, had talked to several teams about the contest for the next year and was told by those teams that they would not be doing PC again. This organizer told me that they were counting on PC to bring in lots of the public to the event but without PC there was no reason to come out and then the sponsors decided no reason to sponsor without public etc etc. So the decision was to cancel the event and it probably wont be back because of HD...This venue was a great location and had a very good team numbers and had the big time sponsors but the HD being difficult is why this contest is no more according to the original organizer.

I know the HD has an important job and I am not anti HD and I know there is more to the story about why this contest is no more but I think it is funny how even the organizer blames the HD.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

In most States KCBS Requirements are stricter than the HD...

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
wags
Got Wood.

Sadly I think you'll see more of this creep into our lives as government feels empowered more and more to butt into our private business. A comp a is a PRIVATE event not to different than a company picnic. I fully support hd's for keeping restaurants safe, but butt out of my private life
wags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
That organizer isn't doing right by the cooks. If I ran an event where an HD inspector appeared I would personally sit chaperone them and run interference for the cook teams from 11:30-2:00.

Of course the proper thing to do is to prevent this from happening in the first place. There is absolutely no reason for a health inspector to be in a comp team's site unless that team is serving food to the public. Judges sign a waiver, they don't count as "public".
Well I don't think the organizer saw him as the judges tables were a long walk from the teams that day. Like I said I reluctantly did PC, although I only was going to do PC after the turn ins and technically I was not doing any PC when inspected.
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Sadly I heard from the original organizer of the event I am talking about(Storm Lake,Iowa) that because of the HD most teams refused to do PC that particular year. Teams that had already agreed to do it but then felt dealing with the HD wasnt worth it. And they, the organizers, had talked to several teams about the contest for the next year and was told by those teams that they would not be doing PC again. This organizer told me that they were counting on PC to bring in lots of the public to the event but without PC there was no reason to come out and then the sponsors decided no reason to sponsor without public etc etc. So the decision was to cancel the event and it probably wont be back because of HD...This venue was a great location and had a very good team numbers and had the big time sponsors but the HD being difficult is why this contest is no more according to the original organizer.

I know the HD has an important job and I am not anti HD and I know there is more to the story about why this contest is no more but I think it is funny how even the organizer blames the HD.
Well I do think I feel an obligation to contest sponsors and the charity which got me into this mess in the first place.
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Here if you enter the peoples choice then they check you but never for the KCBS judges. They have come around at several competitions and told us we could not give samples to the public without an inspection.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, if there was PC, and the OP was signed up for it, then the HD has the right to inspect anything he is serving. Isn't right and why I would never do PC. You can't expect the inspector to know the difference. It is up to the organizer to make sure it doesn't happen.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Sadly I think you'll see more of this creep into our lives as government feels empowered more and more to butt into our private business. A comp a is a PRIVATE event not to different than a company picnic. I fully support hd's for keeping restaurants safe, but butt out of my private life
Don't count on this to protect you. There was a comp near here a couple of years ago where the HD was out in full force inspecting the KCBS meats. Their justification for this was the event was charging admission thus it was a public event. The fact that judges didn't pay admission didn't matter.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Well, if there was PC, and the OP was signed up for it, then the HD has the right to inspect anything he is serving. Isn't right and why I would never do PC. You can't expect the inspector to know the difference. It is up to the organizer to make sure it doesn't happen.
I disagree, Bob. If the PC was pulled pork, for example, that's the only meat being served to the public, so to me that should be the only meat that they can inspect. Now my environment, three bin station, hand wash, etc. is fair game, but the other meats should be off limits.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
landarc

I assumed that PC was chicken, I didn't pay enough attention. Yes, it should be limited to the meat being served.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 09-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

It won't be long before some municipality comes up with a "Competitive food service" permit.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
It won't be long before some municipality comes up with a "Competitive food service" permit.
No doubt, if they can collect a fee, you can bet on it

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
wags
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I'd be out, and I'm guessing many other teams would be as well.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #29
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGirl14226 View Post
I think if someone from outside of our team came into our site and said they needed to temp our food during a turn-in while I was preparing a box, there would be some Jersey Girl action coming into play.
Don't mess with Jersey Girls, even ones that live in New York.

Only time I have seen the health department is at events with People's Choice or team vending. When we vend in Vermont we have to provide a "floor" under the prep areas, which in our case means foam matts. I don't see how it's a food safety issue. If something hits the ground or hits the matt, it's not getting served.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #30
swamprb

Its becoming all too common here in Washington State. I won't sample or vend at any contest that I am competing at.

There was an event that the HD shut down all sampling and vending for an organizers charity due to some teams not having food handlers cards and other violations. And another established event was killed by a $4000 HD fee for teams to sample for their charity.

Some events have even factored in Health Dept. fees in the registrations (waived upon early entry), but that should come out of the organizers pockets, wouldn't you think???
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote