MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #31
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
They both have their pros and cons.
Can you give more of your opinion on this?

It seems like both bbq guru and stoker's websites dont give alot of info about how there product works in detail.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #32
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

There was a team in Bardstown this year that walked a couple of times (don't remember their name) that was using a Pitmaker Sniper and had a Guru on it. I hadn't seen that before, so I asked him about it. He stated he used lump and could get a 6 or 7 hour burn out of 3/4 bag. I've been thinking about trying it with my Sniper, but since it is the long version, I'm not sure the heat would be enough with just charcoal and chunks. The Sniper is very easy to control temp wise........as long as you're awake

Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #33
ChickenWang
Full Fledged Farker

I have never tried to use one, but I would say do what works for you and your pit. Experiment with it and have fun doing so. Any reason to fire up the pit and pop a cold one, is a good reason
ChickenWang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #34
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMN View Post
Can you give more of your opinion on this?

It seems like both bbq guru and stoker's websites dont give alot of info about how there product works in detail.
I believe that the main difference between the two is that the Stoker can operate multiple pits at once and I've read that many users prefer the stoker's wifi software capabilities. In my studies on the subject it appears that the Gurus are less expensive and are the way to go for most.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #35
RX2006JE

i would tend to agree with oldbill. i got the stoker for the reason of using multiple probes(2meat probes) and 3 temp sensors(1 for pit control and 2 monitors for other zones), the fan, and initially the ability to control via the computer. I started out with the old stoker without wifi, i now have the blackbox wifi version. I dont use the computer anymore with the stoker just a prefrence not to but i do like that i can expand the system to as many probes and sensors that i want.
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I purchased a Stoker but not for its Fans or blow motors ... I have an insulated Firebox on an Offset Stick burner by R&O Smokers. I saw no reason what so ever to add a fan to that and even think it would be a set back. The reason I bought the Stoker though was to monitor my pit temps, which it does nicely.

I have 2 temp probes at each end of the pit and use 3 meat probes. The Stoker is wireless and I use a wireless AP with it. They both run off a battery pack. If my pit temps change up or down by more than 10 degrees I get an alert to my phone.

As for the fire - with a stick burner it comes down to fire management and knowing your wood and pit. Mine - about ever 50 minutes takes a new 12" long 3-4" split to maintain around 275.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #37
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2006JE View Post
i would tend to agree with oldbill. i got the stoker for the reason of using multiple probes(2meat probes) and 3 temp sensors(1 for pit control and 2 monitors for other zones), the fan, and initially the ability to control via the computer. I started out with the old stoker without wifi, i now have the blackbox wifi version. I dont use the computer anymore with the stoker just a prefrence not to but i do like that i can expand the system to as many probes and sensors that i want.

The ability to infinitely expand and the built in WiFi capability are the Stoker's main Pros. The Guru (DigiQ II) is cheaper than a Stoker. It also has a much simpler interface and occupies a much smaller footprint. They both control the fire well.

I use the Guru on my tailgate smoker. I prefer the simplicity and the smaller footprint since there are a lot of drunks around and the odds of them messing something up are less. It would be kind of nice to have WiFi so I don't have to get out of the camper to check the fire.

I use(d) the Stoker at home with my Klose. I liked being able to connect it to the network so I can run errands and still be able to monitor the fire. I also used Stokerlog which allowed me to graph and "save" my cooks for comparison purposes.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #38
NorthernMN

Is anyone using the CyberQ from bbq guru? Seems like that would be a better comparision to the stoker since it has wifi. Does the CyberQ let you log a cook process to compare with other cooks later on?
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote