MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Olde Party Palace View Post
I have tried both lump and briquettes, and I prefer lump. My reasoning is that lump gives me less ash, and a more consistent heat. When I have tried briquettes, the ash covered the briquettes and I ended up with less heat. With lump, I had a nice steady burn with a lot less ash.
Whole heartedly +1
I feel unburned briquettes give kind of a off flavor tha I don't care for, really noticeable in kingsford blue. With my vault preheated I can cook 8 hrs @300-325 and still have a little left over. Don't ever put my briskets on before 6 am and they are always done before noon. I have found the 10 lb bags of lump to be better than the 20 lb bags which get slung around and have lots of fines in them.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I am in no way an expert and I've never used briquettes so tread lightly. :) I would think that any smoker where the temperature is controlled via the flow of oxygen (e.g. UDS) could use lump or briquettes with equal heat results. The amount of heat generated corresponds directly with the number of O2 molecules converted to CO2 during the burning process. In a high-oxygen environment lump should be slightly hotter because it can burn faster (because it doesn't have filler), which uses more oxygen. However, in a low-oxygen environment like a UDS I would expect pretty much all the oxygen to be used regardless of lump or briquettes.
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Lump not burning evenly is a myth to me. In my WSM's or kamado's it burns even and steady all day.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
Snuzem
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Freddy,
Your exactly right, I'm fine with the way lump burns in the BGE, but thinking about trying some briquettes in my Backwoods
Snuzem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I use whicked good lump in my Egg and get really long burns and good flavor. You can now order through ACE Hardware and they will deliver to your store
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
I use whicked good lump in my Egg and get really long burns and good flavor. You can now order through ACE Hardware and they will deliver to your store
no, you cant. they stopped carrying it online
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

For high-temp grilling, when I'm lighting all my coal before cooking, I use briquettes. When I'm slow smoking, I want nothing to do with briquettes, I use lump. Briquettes contain coal dust and all kinds of other nasty crap, and the smoke coming off of them is acrid and smells and tastes like s**t. Until briquettes are fully lit and ashed over, you get the acrid, nasty flavor from them. Lump is pure wood, and has no nasty flavor when burning, it smells and tastes like wood. About 3# of lump will give me 10-12 hours of cooking time in my Akorn when partially lit.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
cricky101
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I prefer lump for grilling, but for smoking and long burns I prefer using briquettes.
I keep both on hand for the same purposes.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I thought briquettes were just for starting the lump...
I'm only serious

Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuzem View Post
Freddy,
Your exactly right, I'm fine with the way lump burns in the BGE, but thinking about trying some briquettes in my Backwoods
Ok cool. I'm with smooth smoke on the "not burning evenly" debate. I've joy used lump in my PBC (when I had it) and wsm 22 & mini and always get a good burn, consistent temp and great flavor.

Not sure why others get un even temp with lump, it's all about air flow control.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #26
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuzem View Post
Freddy,
Ok cool. I'm with smooth smoke on the "not burning evenly" debate. I've joy used lump in my PBC (when I had it) and wsm and always get a good burn, consistent temp and great flavor.

Not sure why others get n-even temp with lump, it's all about air flow control.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #27
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

I only burn lump in my BGE, other cookers I sometimes use briquettes. The reason I won't us it is the amount of ash it produces and can fill in places that you wouldn't want filled in for air flow on the BGE. Also, I don't want to risk binder resin to embed into my ceramic pores and become a permanent fixture if you know what I mean. Just like you never want to use lighter fluid.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #28
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dirty Smoke, More ash, Lower heat. The self proclaimed expert was probably sponsored by Kingsford . Switching from lump to briquettes is like trading in 2 20 yr old po0n Kittens for and 88 yr old Granny.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #29
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I think reverse flow verticals are more susceptible to the funky smoke from kbb because it doesn't just vent out like a more tradition design. Lump was a huge change in my bws but the odd sizes make my cooker way less stabile than kbb. I've found humphreys natural briquettes on firecrafts website with free shipping on 100 dollar orders. Going to give them a try next week
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Peter B
On the road to being a farker

I find that most briquettes imbue an unpleasant odor/flavor that a good lump like royal oak does not. There is less ash with lump as well.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote