MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
KingofTheCoals
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Smoke
Default St. Louis Pork Ribs - Pron

Picked up a pack of St. Louis ribs from Costco yesterday 2.59lb. Figured the sun is out, the beer is cold it's time to smoke. Rubbed with a home batch of Famous Daves rib rub.

Royal Oak Lump with a chunk (big ol chunk) of Hickory. Smoking at 265 till done. Might try no foil, it has been awhile since I tried that.

KingofTheCoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice!

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good :)

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
BobM
Babbling Farker

Looks good!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
KingofTheCoals

1.5hrs into it. Ribs 157, grill is sitting at 266. No foil today. Probably have another hour and they should be ready. Can't wait to chow down (skipped lunch on purpose).

Poor mans thermapen below

Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

ribs look good.

i ask only because i struggle sometimes with how much smoke flavor i think i get, albeit i do like a lot of smoke, but with a chunk that size, did you feel like you got a favorable amount of smoke, and how long did it smoke for?
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
KingofTheCoals

Pulled them off at 3.75 hrs. Could have waited a little longer, wifey was starving.

First time using the "famous daves rib rub" recipe. Not overly impressed. Kind of like my own rub better.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
KingofTheCoals

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydaZe View Post
ribs look good.

i ask only because i struggle sometimes with how much smoke flavor i think i get, albeit i do like a lot of smoke, but with a chunk that size, did you feel like you got a favorable amount of smoke, and how long did it smoke for?
I can put a couple big chunks of wood in and still be ok. Smoked for 3.75hrs. When smoking at 265-285 range, the meat gets up to temp a little faster than the traditional 225 low 'n slow. After 145 the meat doesn't take on anymore smoke flavor. So the amount of smoke infused is acceptable. I use a lot of fruit woods. Tonight was straight hickory and tasted great.