Need some advice on selling my Stumps

itschris

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, my wife and i are going our separate ways and she’s keeping the house. I’m not 100% sure where I’m going to live but my plan is to live simple for the next six months or year until I figure things out... where I want to live and how and all that. It’s looking like it’s time to let go of my Stumps Classic. I’ve made a ton great BBQ and it’s served me well and helped raise over $12K in charity bbqs for Wounded Warriors and Shriners Children’s Hospital.

I’m trying to gauge the value of it to sell. It’s fully optioned and has a custom rear smoke stack. I don’t want to give it away, but I also want to be realistic. I kept it on near perfect condition ... even waxed it regularly. I’m not sure where to post it ... I was thinking Craigslist but it seems it’s limited to just my local area. Any thoughts or ideas would really appreciated.

At some point when I get settled, I absolutely want to get another smoker... maybe something smaller ... maybe even ... dare I say... a pellet smoker or something small and easy. I’ll have to figure that out and will definitely be back when the time comes to query the hive and get the best advice on the planet for all thing BBQ.

Very sorry to hear that you and your wife are going separate ways. I wish both of you the best!

Regarding your Stumps, pics and a location would help quite a bit :)

Sorry to hear about your marriage, but I hope the future is bright for you going forward.

As far as selling the Stumps, start looking around as best as you can to see what similar cookers are selling for. The Sale section here is a good start. I recently sold my FEC 100 and FEC 120 and posting it on Facebook got the most traction, and there is Facebook Marketplace. Offer Up and those types of Apps work well too. The difficult thing is to find the price. Not many FEC's come up for sale and that is true for Stump's. So, find a price you are happy with and start there. I listed my 120 at 11 pm at night, and had 3 PM's with an offer to buy before the morning, so maybe I was not asking enough. lol But It was fair for me and the buyer was happy, so Win/Win.

PS - my stumps (I had a GF222 CM) is one of the cookers I wish I kept. Best of luck

I would list it on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and the classifieds here. I also wouldn't be afraid to ask what you think it's worth. People that know what they are looking for understand the value.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just have had a hard time figuring out what a fairly mint condition, fully optioned Classic would be worth. I was hoping to get some advice on that before I post. I'm afraid of both under and over pricing it.

Sorry you are having to go through this. I know the unsettledness of it is tough.

If you don't really need the cash, do you have a buddy you could trust to store it for a few months? If it is something you love it might be worth even paying to store it. If I was in the area I'd hold it for you. Even let you come over and cook on it at my place. Like a lot.

in any event, hope things proceed smoothly for you.

I know that at a time like what you are going through is tough with lots of questions about "whats next?" I have to agree if you could get a good friend to store it for you until you can get settled.
Facebook has a Florida BBQ Swap Shop if you have no choice but to sell. The Admin is a big member of Florida BBQ Association, I have seen some good smokers on there for sale; good source for both buying and selling.
Will be praying for you and the situation.

I am just across the state, straight on 70 in 772 area code.

I would take up Martys offer, ( stingerhook ) he really is a nice Guy.

Sorry about your Relationship woes, but life does go on

Maybe rent a storage locker for a year and let things settle down? Here Craigslist is dead-but it's still free to try. FB Marketplace does much better. Ebay could also be good, but the fees are high.

Did you make a decision? My husband and I are now snowbirds and aren’t planning on moving the smoker back and forth, and as you can see in my signature, I currently have a Stumps Classic in MD. If you have decided to store it, good for you and all the very best to you. Take the time to decide what is right for you. But if you decide to sell it, I may be interested. Take your time, no pressure and no rush.

We are in Bradenton, so not too far.

I don't have any advice on the smoker, other than I'm sure you love it and should keep it. But, I am thinking of you through this time. I'm sure it's tough because of memories, children, etc. Stay positive, and as hard as it is... find a way to still have love for the mother of your child. It's a different sort of love I'm sure.... but, it's love. Take care.

I'm sorry to hear of any couples breaking up. Especially if a child is involved.

As to the the Stumps, list it for $300 less than you paid and be willing to negotiate down from there to your satisfaction. If you have kept it mint you should be able to get a good price. Just from a business perspective.

Best of luck to you.

FB Market Place works quickly or at least it has for me.

Thanks a ton guys. I really appreciate. Unfortunately, it has to go. I’m going to spend some time just living low end... maybe rent a room from someone until I figure out what I want to do. I don’t want to buy a place now and paint myself into a corner. I may move away... I’m not sure. So as much I appreciate the offers, I 1) cannot commit to a timeframe and 2) it’s just better to let someone else enjoy it. One day I’ll get back to BBQ... it just won’t be for a few or maybe several months.

I’m going to list it here on our site in just a bit and in FB Marketplace. Apparently there’s a Stumps forum as well.

Thanks again guys

Brother ... I can’t thank you enough for the offer. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. It means a lot and reminds me that there are such great people here.

I really do need to get rid of it however. I’d love to keep it, but I have to be realistic about it and do what I really should. Thanks again.

Back