Need a good simple Beef Rib Recipe Please

gaspipe1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am having a party this weekend and one of the guests doesn't eat Pork :crazy:. Anyway I was looking to make him some beef ribs. I have made them once before and I was not crazy how they came out. Can someone please point me to a really good, simple recipe that I can make on my UDS along with the BB ribs I plan on maken for the day?

Thanks in advance
-Gaspare

Never cooked on an UDS but on my offset Texas Smokemaster, they come out real nice.
I usually just start with some worshey and rub on some of my brisket rub.
Into the pit at 250-275 for several hours, think like brisket on a stick, say at least 6hrs.
In the past I have both foiled and not foiled, doesn't really matter. A little mop of beef broth and a little aj doesn't hurt. There are several threads and links from lots of folks so you might try the "search" function for more ideas.
If I can find one of my earlier posts with pics, I will try and add it here.
Enjoy.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69466&highlight=beef+ribs

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46815&highlight=beef+ribs

Throw on a chuckie and make pulled beef. If you want to go crazy you can make the stout pepper beef.

Edit: Sorry for the random response. Somehow I missed "rib" and just saw beef. As others mentioned S&P is the way to go.

Last edited:
I'm with Cook & Lake Dogs on this. Sea salt (or kosher salt), cracked black pepper, cook till probe tender. Keep it simple & you'll be glad you did - beef ribs are fantastic & don't need much help. :thumb:

TY very much... Last time I made them I:
Ribs:
-Chuck Beef Ribs (not short)
-rub is a 75% pepper 25% salt mixture, sprinkle and rub on
-Grate Temp 300-325* with a pan of Sauce next to ribs
-cook Meet Side up and closer to the heat source
-after 1.5 hours wrap in Butchers Paper and smoke for 2 more hours

I was not that happy with the results to be honest. Seems that the meat reduced in size but did not "puff" up. Also some of the bones had like no meat on it. Seems I disintegrated it. :shocked:

Perhaps the 250-275* for 5-6 hours will do the trick... foil or no?

I haven't had much time to finalize my past threads... but I might as well tell ya how it went on my 4th of July Q party.

-The Brisket was almost over cooked, what saved me was that I never cleaned out the ash pan, and seems the fire was being smothered so the temp went from 300* to 200* when I woke up. Seems it's true.. I rather be lucky than good any day! Lesson 1 always start with a clean/ash free firebox
-On to the beef ribs. After I wrapped the ribs in butcher's paper it was fine. Until I grabbed them to unfoil... seems all the "liquid" dropped onto the bottom and caused a grease fire. Which in turn set the remaining wrapped ribs on fire.. Paper ash is now fly'n in the air, arm hairs are on fire and my neighbor is asking what smells so good. What did I learn from this lesson.. I bought gloves that can stand 500* plus and a pair of the black rubber insulated gloves that I saw posted on here.

Seems that no matter how far in advance I try to plan, I will mess something up. Ahhh the joy of smoking :becky:

You are making it too complicated. Just rub them with a 50/50 of salt and black pepper, or if you must get fancy, a 50/50 0f lemon pepper, garlic salt and then throw them on the cooker, 250F for 5 to 7 hours. The chuck ribs do drawback a lot. But, one full rib should still be enough for most folks.

I dunno, I prefer more of a 47/53 ratio of salt/pepper, but I agree that's all it really needs. Garlic and cayenne won't hurt either.

Keep it simple with beef ribs. Light sprinkle of Montreal Steak or just salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. 5 hours at 225. Spritz with water every hour. Ribs will be moist and tender but not fall off/mush.

I'm with bigabyte on this one, I did some w/ (s,p,g&c) a couple weeks ago. they were a big hit. I'm not usually a foiler but I've only done beef ribs a couple of times. This last time I did a high heat cook like 325°-350° 1½ on the grate, 1½ hrs foiled then sauced on the grill about 7-8 min. a side. Wrapped in plastic wrap & rested in cooler for 2 hrs,

OK, well the cook went well.. no fires and all my arm hairs are still where they belong :clap2:. I just want to thank everyone again for the help and info!!

I made 6 racks of BB ribs and 1 pack of boneless beef ribs which I bought them all at Costco. BB came out really good but what got me excited was the beef boneless ribs. They came out great, not juice so to say but moist with a great taste. I just sprinkled pepper and salt between 3 fingers over the top and on the grate they went.

Every hour I sprayed apple juice on both the beef and the BB and after the first 3 hours I foiled and switched grates from top to bottom. After an hour I unfoiled, and basted sauce on the BB ribs, Beef Ribs were left alone.

Sorry for the lack of pics but was chaotic due to all the people.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 23, 10 27 04 AM (HDR).jpg
    Photo Jul 23, 10 27 04 AM (HDR).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 131
  • Photo Jul 23, 10 27 19 AM (HDR).jpg
    Photo Jul 23, 10 27 19 AM (HDR).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Photo Jul 23, 10 29 05 AM (HDR).jpg
    Photo Jul 23, 10 29 05 AM (HDR).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 131
Glad it went well! I know what you mean about getting finished pron shots - when you have a house full of hungry people about the last thing you can do is say "hold on, let me get out my camera". It's crazy how just beef, salt, pepper & smoke taste so good, right?

Back