• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS - Any tips?

AlexC

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi - first off, this site is great! I have been BBQ'ing for a while but just getting into competing and found this site. The info and help on this site is fantastic - thank you!

I am building my first UDS (woo hoo :becky:) and had a few of quick questions. Is it better to burn the drum out or sandblast it? Any recommended readings/sites/posts? What is the recommended spacing between the grates?

Thanks for the help!
Alex

Yep...what he said^. Read the thread. It will take a while but there is a ton of information in there. I just finished my first UDS and that thread was invaluable. You can keep it simple or you can make it more complicated. Your choice. I have to say though, mine was a thing of beauty last Saturday smoking that butt for 16 hours. Never had to add any charcoal or wood. In fact I shut it down at 18 hours and there was probably enough charcoal left to go another 4 to 6 hours.

If you have access to a sand blaster I would do that for sure price permitting of course. Find one with no liner at all and skip the entire step if you can.

I put my first grate 22" above the fire and added one above it about 6" higher. The top one is not far from my flat lid so it is limited to what I can put on it like ribs or something thin.

I would also suggest putting a set of hardware below your cooking grate for an additional lower cooking grate in case you want to put something under your meat to keep the drippings off the fire. I prefer the taste without the drippings hitting the coals. I just throw a piece of foil on my lowest grate and poke some holes in it. It seems to stop enough of the juice falling on the fire.

Good luck, you will love your UDS.

Save yourself the hassle, start with a new, unlined drum.

For many people around the world, it's very difficult to find new, unlined drums. You are fortunate to have access to stockpiles of new drums. Many of us others aren't able to get 'em like that.

I attempted to burn my red liner out without much luck...thought I'd soften it up to hit it with the wire wheel on the grinder. It really sucked sticking my head into the drum trying to grind it out so I took mine and got it sandblasted for $20. lol It was worth it.

I attempted to burn my red liner out without much luck...thought I'd soften it up to hit it with the wire wheel on the grinder. It really sucked sticking my head into the drum trying to grind it out so I took mine and got it sandblasted for $20. lol It was worth it.

$20 is a no brainer for that. I spent that in gas hauling a stack of pallets home to light on fire :crazy:

As mentioned before,read the whole thread and remember, take notes,lots of notes. Anything of interest that you may be able to use on your first build.Hints, techniques,sizes, dimensions,etc. Post #,page #

Otherwise you will be back-peddling 100 pages or more to find what you're looking for.

Read the entire UDS thread. Seriously, read the whoel thread. That's my tip.

+1 on note taking. Its no fun having to re-read page after page of info to find something you can't remember. It takes long enough to read once.

It's all been said already. I farked with a liner for while. Got an new unlined drum from McMaster Car. READ EVERY POST, and take design notes.

Also take note of all the NEAT IDEAS that did NOT WORK WELL. KISS rules. Air flow controls heat. The less air leaks the better heat control!

Skip the burn and just get one of these:

DSCF5277.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist.......again.........

Paul B
SS UDS

And yes........I DID read the entire thread and still keep up :thumb::becky:

Back