MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #91
btcg
Babbling Farker

Infernooo,

Question: what are you doing with all of this sauce? You'll have a 5 year supply by the time you're done. ;)

Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #92
Phyphor
On the road to being a farker

Just a reminder on my sauce if you do decide to add some Blair's 2am or 3am use a drop at a time, I think they are rated between 600,000 to 900,000 for the 2am and between 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 for the 3am. It is some serious heat.
Phyphor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #93
infernooo

Next up, the THIRD entry!

Thanks to Lake Dogs for his entry.

#3 Lake Dogs (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1524697&postcount=11)

First, I've had many GREAT sauces, sauces that stand on their own, sauces that truly make cardboard taste great. To me, this sauce doesn't compliment BBQ but masks it.
Below is our sauce recipe that compliments the meats and our rubs. It is thin enough that if used in small amounts compliments the smokey meat flavors. And with that, IMHO, sauce should never have smoke flavor; that's what the meat is for, right?

Starters:

55oz+- Contadina Tomato Sauce

28oz Steens Pure Cane Syrup
18oz Bama Grape Jelly
3oz Lee & Perins Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder

Mix all of the above and warm.

We use this (above) on chicken.

For pork and beef:

1 part Blues Hog Original

1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
3 parts our sauce (above)

For ribs we'll mix:

2 parts Blues Hog Original

1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
2 parts our sauce

Recipe Review:

Notes: As specified by Lake Dogs, I ensured the brands used were the same as the recipe stated in order to get a proper approximation of his sauce. The Tomato sauce, cane syrup and grape jelly were all purchased from online grocery stores and forwarded to me via my mail forwarder. For the spices, I used Penzeys, and all other brands were as specified.

Ingredients: The ingredients hint at a very unique sauce, with the fruity combination of grape jelly, the lack of ketchup, the cane syrup with its ever-so-slight bitterness and a few spices to give the sauce a kick. Furthermore, the mix-ins at the end to customise it to various meats is a great idea.

Ease of preparation: Extremely easy to assemble - and the base can be kept and portioned out to be mixed with the appropriate sauces to customise it to various meats.

Modifications and variations tested: Tested both the ribs and pork+beef suggestions as per the recipe.

Taste/Texture: Whilst it does have a good dose of syrup and grape jelly, as the base is not ketchup but tomato sauce, it was not overly sweet. The Jelly and cane syrup gave it a really intriguing flavour that you could not put your finger on if you did not know they were there, and with the cayenne, chilli powder, black pepper and wooster sauce to give it a bit of a kick, the flavours blended beautifully. You can see from the recipe that there is no sour element (the wooster sauce is not included in a substantial enough amount to impart its slight sourness from the tamarind in it), but this comes in with the blues hog tennessee red. The beauty of this recipe is that it is not noticably sweet, not noticably sour, not overly salty or spicy - it is a great balance of flavours.

Recommendations: To be honest, I cannot think of how I would improve it. Some may like it with a bit more "kick" to it, by adding some chipotle hot sauce (to provide an extra dimension to the flavour - a smokey note) or smoked paprika instead of the regular paprika. You do have to be careful though, as it is a very well balanced sauce in terms of both flavours and ingredients (due to the grape jelly and cane syrup, some added flavours may not work well with it - e.g. I cannot see herbs working too well)

Ratings:

Appearance: 8/10 A very nice looking sauce - due to the grape jelly, cane syrup and wooster sauce, it has a beautiful dark, rich colour and a nice sticky consistency thanks to the jelly and syrup, but not cloyingly so.

Consistency: 8/10 Reasonably thick, but when mixed with the other sauces, the consistency is perfect for that meat (e.g. thicker for ribs, thinner for pulled pork)

Taste: 8/10 My comments above speak for themselves... this is an absolutely outstanding sauce, and I would definitely make it again and recommend it to others.

Versatility: 8/10 Whilst I am a purist when it comes to brisket, I couldn't help myself and actually ended up dipping some slices () in the sauce... as brisket has a pretty strong flavour, this sauce stood up beautifully to it and worked really well with the cherry, oak and pecan smoked brisket.
It was simply amazing on ribs, and for pulled pork, whilst I normally love just a simple moistening mix of sugar, salt, white + red + black pepper and cider vinegar, the fruitiness of the base and the tang from the added blueshog worked brilliantly.

Overall Rating: 8/10. A brilliant sauce. I can see why Lake Dogs would be successful at comps with this sauce and applaud him for divulging his recipe. I know I will be making this one again for sure - a good stock of the base and then adding in the other sauces depending on the BBQ I am serving if I am feeling like a sauce.

Photos of sauce construction:

1.) The ingredients:

Clockwise from left:
Wooster Sauce, Tomato Sauce, Grape Jelly, Golden Syrup (note: I took out the wrong syrup for the photo - I actually used Steens in the recipe), Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Blues Hog Original, Black Pepper, Cayenne, Paprika, Chilli Powder

2.)
Ingredients in the pot:

3.) Sauce after slight cooling:

Thank you again Lake Dogs for the recipe

Next up, Roxy's S.C mustard sauce!
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #94
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Why thank you sir, and I'm glad you liked it! You cooked/mixed it perfectly! That's
the colour we get. I like it; it's simple/easy to make, simple and easy to adjust as
you said if you want it with a little more kick. Yes, for more kick I'll sometimes add
a little more cayenne with a little ground chipotle or ground red jalapeno. I'm sure
the habanero fans would enjoy adding a little to make it a truly hot sauce...

I must admit, that it went well with brisket really surprised me and the whole team.
We had a sauce party about a year ago, started off with 16+- sauces. Going in to
this party we each had our suppositions. Afterwards, we talked about what we went
in to it thinking and how wrong we all were. More than anything else though, nobody
though this would work on brisket at all. We were very surprised.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #95
h00kemh0rns

I'm glad Infernooo has done this. This is an extremely interesting thread to follow. I plan to submit my all purpose sauce soon! Thanks Infernooo!
h00kemh0rns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #96
h00kemh0rns

Default Hooks Sweet n' spicy BBQ sauce

This makes a small batch of about 10 ounces or less total. Obviously, you can adjust if needed.

Hooks Sweet n' spicy BBQ sauce
  • 1 cup finished sweet and sour dressing (recipe below)
  • 1/3 cup prepared mustard
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbs Vizcaya brand Habanero sauce (red NOT the orange)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper (fresh cracked if possible)
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice
  • 1 Tbs Honey
  • 1 Tbs brown sugar

Place sweet and sour dressing, mustard, Worcestershire, and all spices (from salt to Chinese 5 spice) in pan and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

Take off of heat and add 1 Tbs of honey and 1 Tbs brown sugar. Mix until incorporated.

Next add ½ Tbs of the habanero sauce, taste and add the remaining ½ Tbs according to heat preference. The finished sauce should not be overwhelmingly hot.

Cool to room temperature then store in a squeeze bottle or any other container in the fridge. *

Bring to room temperature before use.

Sweet and sour dressing
  • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 6 oz Dole 100% pineapple juice
  • ¼ tsp ginger
  • ¼ tsp garlic
  • 1 Tbs cornstarch
  • 1 Tbs water
  • ¼ cup oil

Place all ingredients, except cornstarch and water, into a pan over medium heat.

Allow mixture to simmer about 10 minutes.

While this simmers mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl.

Add the cornstarch and water to the sweet and sour mixture. Bring to a boil for a minute.

Remove from heat and allow to come to room temp. *Put in sauce in blender and while running drizzle oil until dressing thickens.

Last edited by h00kemh0rns; 02-15-2011 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #97
h00kemh0rns

One thing to note is that I prefer the full tablespoon of habanero sauce. Also, take not not to simmer too long else it will get too dark (personal preference.)

Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #98
infernooo

Time for number four!

#4 Roxy's S.C Mustard Sauce (http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359)

My favorite sauce to add to pulled pork is a mustard vinager sauce. I add just a bit, maybe 1/2 a cup, to moisten the meat and add a bit of flavour after its been pulled.
When making a Sammich I add some more of the sauce with a shake or two of the rub I used to season the butt. To my taste this sauce is a perfect match with cole slaw and I dont be eatin me no pulled pork sammich without the slaw.
I dont hear any one mention using this sauce but I find it is the tastiest addition to pulled pork. From what I've read most of ya'll are stuck in north carolina, now theres nothing wrong with vinegar or piedmont sauce, I just find this sauce has more flavour and makes better pairing with pork butt.

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

Recipe Review:

Notes: This recipe has a large following on the smoke ring boards, so expectations were admittedly quit high. As no brands were specified, I used all-USA brands (penzeys spices, vinegar, french's mustard etc).

Ingredients: The ingredients are that of a "typical" mustard sauce - mustard,vinegar, sugar and some spices to give it a kick. Minimal ingredients required and all very easy to obtain.

Ease of preparation: Very simple! Mix, heat, blend and serve.

Modifications and variations tested: Tested on pulled pork, chicken and brisket.

Taste/Texture: For a mustard sauce, this was quite fresh, no doubt due to the relatively short cooking time and absence of dried/pre-cooked ingredients (ketchup, onion/garlic/paprika powder). Relatively thin, but thicker on blending and cooling. Definitely designed for pulled pork. It was not very spicy, with the slightest lingering background heat that tickles your throat.

Recommendations: Heat lovers may like to add some chipotle hot sauce to give it a bit more kick. For brisket, I would cook until a bit thicker and add in some of the brisket drippings and juices to round out the flavours and incorporate some of the spice rub used on the meat itself.

Ratings:

Appearance: 7/10 We know mustard sauces are not the prettiest looking sauces, and their viscosity doesn't help much with aesthetics either. The main benefit is keeping a bit more of the colour of the meat itself when incorporated into items such as pulled pork or chicken as you can still see the smoke rings remnants and various shades of pink and brown bark.

Consistency: 7/10 Reasonably thin, but perfect for pulled pork or mopping/brushing. If one were to dip or want to glaze, it would need to be reduced slightly.

Taste: 7/10 obviously, this sauce is designed for pulled pork, however, I could see it being used as a mustard based glaze for ribs, brushed on frequently at the end of cooking. Whilst the flavour was nice and went well with pulled pork, I feel it could have a bit more depth and flavour. However, having said that, to be fair, that does mean that it lets the meats flavour come through.

Versatility: 5/10 As the sauce stands, I would only recoomend it as a pulled pork, chicken, or mopping/glazing sauce. With some modifications, it could go well with pulled beef or even brisket.

Overall Rating: 7/10. Obviously this sauce is designed for pulled pork. It does a good job at that but definitely could do with a boost in flavour and does need a bit of tweaking if used on anything else.

Photos of sauce construction:

1.) The ingredients:

Clockwise from left:
Onion + Garlic, Brown Sugar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Cayenne, Salt, Wooster Sauce + Tabasco, Black Pepper, Mustard

2.)
Ingredients in the pot:

3.) Sauce after slight cooling:

Next up, RSoFlaQuers mustard sauce!

Last edited by infernooo; 02-17-2011 at 11:16 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #99
btcg
Babbling Farker

Roxy at 6.5? Just my .02, but I like the Rox... it's a 7.5, at least, in my book, and I think, I could be wrong, but the recipe is a very old recipe.

Bob's too, at least as much score wise. Interesting scoring system.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #100
infernooo

Well spotted, that should read 7, not 6.5.

Also keep in mind, 10 is "mind-blowing, best I could ever possibly imagine any sauce ever being, holy-grail sauce", and I am not one to give very high scores for the sake of it (similarly, I am not one to just give low scores as some critics do). I may be harsh, but I have tried a LOT of sauces (http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...841_resize.jpg), so my standards are pretty high ;)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #101
h00kemh0rns

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernooo View Post
....but I have tried a LOT of sauces (http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...841_resize.jpg), so my standards are pretty high ;)
Infernoo...out of all of those. What are your top 10 commercial sauces you've tried?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #102
NewEnglandQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernooo View Post
Well spotted, that should read 7, not 6.5.

Also keep in mind, 10 is "mind-blowing, best I could ever possibly imagine any sauce ever being, holy-grail sauce", and I am not one to give very high scores for the sake of it (similarly, I am not one to just give low scores as some critics do). I may be harsh, but I have tried a LOT of sauces (http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...841_resize.jpg), so my standards are pretty high ;)
Nice selection of sauces, you should probably get a big cabinet for those, gonna end up tripping on them.
Traeger 075
Jenn Air Gasser
Grand Hall Smoker
Smith & Wesson Pellet Bullet
Fire Magic Built-in Charcoal Grill
NewEnglandQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #103
h00kemh0rns

I have to admit Roxy's sauce is probably an 8.5 when used on pork and the 7 you have is quite accurate when taking into consideration it as a universal sauce.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #104
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey infernooo, to date what is the best sauce you have ever tried? Home made or store bought.... either one.

Thanks!
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #105
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Wow at the selection. I thought I'd tried a lot of over-the-counter sauces, but over
the years I'm not certain I've tried as many as you have in this one picture. WOW!

Interesting, 7/10 for a mustard sauce. That's pretty good ratings for a mustard
sauce. I have a good friend that is fond of them (mustards), I'll send this recipe
along to him.

Curious, any better mustard sauces (in your opinion)?

Good thread infernoooooo.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote