MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
BigHatBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default foil advantage

The big advantage to wrapping in foil or using a foil pan is to catch all the drippings. Makes a great starter for a sauce.

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Grills Gone Wild is right. Don't stop until the flat probes with little resistance. Then you're free to pull it off and let it rest. Sounds like your doing fine.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Ok the point is beyond butter feeling but the flat is still running a bit tougher and is at 180 to 185. Should I keep going or pull it and let it carry over?
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

The point is almost always going to be more tender. Keep going until the flat offers little resistance.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: First time brisket..

I took it off cause I got scared but I put it back on... its been going since 11 and its 640 now so i was worried I'd over do it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #21
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First time brisket..

Don't worry bout the IT. Usually around 190 I start checking a few different spots on the flat. You want to stick your thermometer in every 30-60 minutes until it feels like you're sticking it in a warm butter. If you pull it before this the flat will more than likely be tough. Don't sweat the point now. It has enough fat to keep it good until the flat is ready. Don't pull til it probes right!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: First time brisket..

Took it off around 8 pm. My wife was starving so we sliced off piece and I wrapped it back up tighg on the counter. I later sliced off a large section for us tomorrow then a piece for my buddy and I for lunch tomorrow..along with in laws.

This stuff doesn't last long

Best brisket I've had. Thanks a bunch

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

What a fantastic running commentary from the Brethren. End result looks terrific.
John

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds like it worked out good. One thing I started to do was log the times and temps of my cooks. It's not uncommon for my briskets to take over 12 hours, though I cook more in the 275°F range

Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like you did a good job! Looks nice and juicy. Always trust your probe. You can have two briskets, the same weight and grade, and both have completely different cook times. Once you get the HnF down you'll never look back.