MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #91
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Lies. All lies.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #92
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

The duck sure did look erect!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #93
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
The duck sure did look erect!
Good thing it wasn't a male chicken
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #94
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
The duck is pulled off and we just tasted some of that cracklin' skin . Fark, that's good chit. Crunchy. Mmmmmmm.
If you pulled your duck you may have a double entry in the pulled TD!
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #95
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
If you pulled your duck you may have a double entry in the pulled TD!
Now I'm really happy it wasn't a male chicken.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #96
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo
Talking Al's official Sweet and Spicy TD entry...

I've been home from work all week recuperating so I figured I should do something productive and get in on this TD... Without further ado, I present Al's Sweet and Spicy Beef Short Ribs.

First off, the sweet and spicy sauce. Here are the ingredients for my habanero pineapple sauce. The habs are from my garden, and all the rest of the goodies came from the store.

I removed the seeds and the spines from the peppers and combined them with the fresh cubed pineapple.

I blended this all up and made the mistake of tasting it before adding anything else... One word comes to mind... MOMMY!!! After chugging some milk, I added the rest of the ingedients and boiled and reduced for about half an hour. After that it was very tasty.

Now on to the beef short ribs... I picked up these beauties a while back and vacu-sucked and froze them for just such an occasion.

I seasoned them up with some Foil Hat (Biggie) and Parsley (Gore) and onto the Traeger they went with a hopper full of oak...

Here they are after about two hours at 275...

Once I took the pic above, I probed them and they were at about 160. I put a little beef consomme in the bottom of a foil pan, covered them and let them braise for another two hours. Here they are after the braise brushed with the habanero pineapple sauce. I let them go for about half an hour more to set the sauce.

And here (below) we have the finished plate/money shot. I left three of the ribs whole and sliced up the fourth and brushed it with more sauce. I also made up some sides of Asian/Thai inspired slaw, grilled pineapple slices and brown basmati rice. This was my first experience with the basmati rice and I really liked it. In the foregound are a couple habaneros to eat for dessert...

No TD entry is complete without a fork shot...

As usual, I feasted heavily on the meat and wasn't able to finish the sides. The sauce ended up having a very good balance of sweet and spicy and went very well with the beef. We have a bunch left over and will be trying it on chicken this weekend. This is the second time for me to do beef short ribs and they will definitely be back on the roatation soon.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #97
Happy Hapgood

^^^ He's Baaaack! Mighty Fine Al !!!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #98
caseydog

Nice food, Mongo, and I see you have good taste in beer glasses.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #99
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Those are some beautiful short ribs Al' but I'm a little bit confused here, this is the "Sweet and Spicy" TD right? Maybe you can help me wrap my head around this and I'll quote you here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
I seasoned them up with some Foil Hat (Biggie) and Parsley (Gore) and onto the Traeger they went with a hopper full of oak...
Are you implying that Biggie is Sweet and Gore is Spicy???

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #100
Al Czervik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Are you implying that Biggie is Sweet and Gore is Spicy???
Dang it Paul... I can't slip anything past you can I?
(")_(")
Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #101
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Beautiful Mongo

I love habanero I will gladly take the remaining sauce off your hands.

My first attempt for this TD was filed in the fail category. I've been retooling and actually had habaneros on my shopping list.

Hmmm what do I may have to change it up again.

Great to see you back brother.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #102
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Lookin' good Mongo! You gotta get me the recipe for that slaw, my wife's been asking for an Asian inspired slaw for some time now. It might make her think I actually listen to her once in a while. :)

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #103
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Made this a short while back...after this category was announced. Inspired by a couple year old post by bbqgrail...Sweet and Spicy Drumsticks ("chicken legs" in a red hot candy and cinnamon whiskey glaze).

Here's the thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=redhot+chix

Assembled our ingredients...

Gave the drumsticks a soak and a buttermilk/SM Sweet & Spicy (hey, what else do you use for a sweet and spicy throwdown) marinade...

Katie helped on this cook quite a bit...

Glaze consisted of red hots candy, apple juice, sugar, pectin and Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey ("tastes like heaven, burns like hell")

Used our fancy rack for the "chicken legs"

Once cooked we dunked them in the glaze, drizzled a bit more over the top and sprinkled on a few more red hots...

Here's our pic for the entry...

Was some good stuff! Kids loved it (big an little ones)!! Ate that stuff up!!

Will do this again, for sure. Was definitely a "sweet" glaze...may try to ramp up the spice just a bit. I'm thinkin' Hot Tamales...

Bonus: used some of the leftover glaze on some vanilla ice cream...

Added a little more of the whiskey and gave 'er a stir. A nice sweet and spicy shake...
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #104
Al Czervik

Great looking chicken FMBBQ! Love the use of the redhots, Fireball and your darling assistant...
(")_(")
Old 10-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #105
Al Czervik

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Lookin' good Mongo! You gotta get me the recipe for that slaw, my wife's been asking for an Asian inspired slaw for some time now. It might make her think I actually listen to her once in a while. :)

Here's the recipe Jason...

http://www.food.com/recipe/awesome-asian-slaw-61492

The only thing I changed was subbing two packages of broccoli slaw for the carrots and cabbage. Oh, and I also gave it a couple good squirts of Sriracha sauce for some kick.

Between the all the habanero, garlic, onion powder and Sriracha, my breath is no doubt a lot like my avatar's...
(")_(")