BBQ Brethren "Sweet and Spicy" Throwdown!

You mean your entry to my Fowl TD got froze? :tsk:

Awww, Shucks! :grin:

I was already froze when I bought it! Wait, IT was already...... honest! Even brought it home from the market in a cooler with ice! You should see your baby duck now, Toast, it's standing at attention in the fridge with a pottery cup my mother made shoved up it's... er, azzhat. Just took a picture of it doing everything but saluting in there. Stayed up late enough last night googling recipes to find out it needs time to dry out in the fridge to make that crackling crisp skin. Whew. Won't be a whole day or 3 whole days, but surely a little is better than nothing. :oops: I already had all the ingredients to make it at home so don't even have to run to town for them.

Kathy's smokin' Leg of Lamb and Orange Peking Duck for breakfast!!

Below see our private at attention in the cooler, well, the best he can stand at attention considering a larger pottery cup is inserted into his smaller orifice. Notice the row of magnetized steel spice containers on the right.

SIMG0033.jpg

Oh, looky, the stupid floating spice rack is empty.

SIMG0037_1.jpg

Now that's...... THAT'S a nice farkin' spice rack. Yes, Colonel, I have a beautiful, full rack..... now off to the Penalty Box with you.

SIMG0036_1.jpg

Time to get smokin'!

SIMG0041_1.jpg

Kathy is teasing us with her beautiful full rack? I have to check which tread I ended up clicking on.

Looking forward to the pron :oops:.

The duck is pulled off :shocked: and we just tasted some of that cracklin' skin :shocked::shocked: . Fark, that's good chit. Crunchy. Mmmmmmm.

Last edited:
Almost 5 hours later. Carol pulled the leg of lamb off the kamado while I was out picking up our new-to-us 2008 Rondo! The lamb is unbelievably good, holy cow. I mean holy ewe! Warming up the duck, lamb in the oven and sauteed diced red onions in butter and added the mashed, smoked sweet potato for a quick meal before night school. I tasted the reduced orange sauce and cannot believe I made something that delicious almost totally ignoring the recipe. Holy fark a duck -- tasting here and there says this is going to be some fantastic meal. :love:

Al's official Sweet and Spicy TD entry...

I've been home from work all week recuperating so I figured I should do something productive and get in on this TD... Without further ado, I present Al's Sweet and Spicy Beef Short Ribs. :becky:

First off, the sweet and spicy sauce. Here are the ingredients for my habanero pineapple sauce. The habs are from my garden, and all the rest of the goodies came from the store.

edit_preview.php

I removed the seeds and the spines from the peppers and combined them with the fresh cubed pineapple.
edit_preview.php

I blended this all up and made the mistake of tasting it before adding anything else... :shocked::flame:One word comes to mind... MOMMY!!! After chugging some milk, I added the rest of the ingedients and boiled and reduced for about half an hour. After that it was very tasty.
edit_preview.php

Now on to the beef short ribs... I picked up these beauties a while back and vacu-sucked and froze them for just such an occasion.:thumb:
edit_preview.php

I seasoned them up with some Foil Hat (Biggie) and Parsley (Gore) and onto the Traeger they went with a hopper full of oak...
edit_preview.php

Here they are after about two hours at 275...
edit_preview.php

Once I took the pic above, I probed them and they were at about 160. I put a little beef consomme in the bottom of a foil pan, covered them and let them braise for another two hours. Here they are after the braise brushed with the habanero pineapple sauce. I let them go for about half an hour more to set the sauce.
edit_preview.php

And here (below) we have the finished plate/money shot. I left three of the ribs whole and sliced up the fourth and brushed it with more sauce. I also made up some sides of Asian/Thai inspired slaw, grilled pineapple slices and brown basmati rice. This was my first experience with the basmati rice and I really liked it. In the foregound are a couple habaneros to eat for dessert... :crazy:
edit_preview.php

No TD entry is complete without a fork shot...:mrgreen:
edit_preview.php

As usual, I feasted heavily on the meat and wasn't able to finish the sides.:hand: The sauce ended up having a very good balance of sweet and spicy and went very well with the beef. We have a bunch left over and will be trying it on chicken this weekend. This is the second time for me to do beef short ribs and they will definitely be back on the roatation soon.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over. :biggrin1:

Nice food, Mongo, and I see you have good taste in beer glasses. :thumb:

CD

Those are some beautiful short ribs Al' but I'm a little bit confused here, this is the "Sweet and Spicy" TD right? Maybe you can help me wrap my head around this and I'll quote you here.
I seasoned them up with some Foil Hat (Biggie) and Parsley (Gore) and onto the Traeger they went with a hopper full of oak...:biggrin1:

Are you implying that Biggie is Sweet and Gore is Spicy??? :caked:

Back