Baby Backs (pr0n)

BobM

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I did a rack of baby backs on my 22 1/2" WSM.
I rubbed it with my standard pork rub (sucralose, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper).
I cooked it at 250F, unfoiled for 2 hours, then foiled it with brown sugar, honey and squeeze Parkay until toothpick tender, about another 1 hour.
I then slathered it with Sweet Baby Rays Vidalia Onion sauce, and put it back on, unfoiled, for about another 1/2 hour.
They came out great, juicy, tender and sweet!

Rubbed up and on the WSM.
babybacks0401.jpg

Ready to be foiled.
babybacks0403.jpg

Sauced up.
babybacks0404.jpg

Cut up.
babybacks0405.jpg

Beer o' the day.
babybacks0402.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Quick question:

I am wondering if foiling my ribs will help me overcome a problem that I've been having.

I've been cooking my baby back ribs at 250 for 2 hours and then back down the heat to 225 for another 2 hours or so. Generally I take them off when they are toothpick tender and do the "bend test" as well.

Usually I marinade them overnight and then put on a dry rub for an hour before smoking. I also glaze them with BBQ sauce 1/2 hour before taking them off the smoker.

The ribs turn out great but I have noticed that the smaller ribs have a drier, "stringy" quality. These smaller ribs taste more like a caramelized "pig candy/jerky" than the meatier, moister larger ribs.

Some have said that the issue is really that the heat is too low to tenderize the collagen in the rib meat, and suggest I ramp up the heat to 275/250, etc.

I am willing to try that but I am also wondering if I am just losing too much moisture over the cook? I realize that this is probably part of a "foil/no foil" debate but just want to explore my options. I have not used foil to date and don't have this problem with any of the other cuts of meat that I BBQ.

Quick question:

I am wondering if foiling my ribs will help me overcome a problem that I've been having.......... .

To an extent, yes, but simple thermal dynamics dictate that smaller parts/ends of the ribs will get cooked more than the larger ones if subjected to the same heat/time.

I will often times save those for the chef and eat them myself if I'm real concerned about it.

P.S. To the OP ....ribs look awesome. Nice smoker too! And good beer choice. :grin:

Thanks for the input. I think that I've narrowed down the problem: I've been using a smaller (imported) cut of babyback ribs that probably don't need the amount of time/heat that I've been giving them. Newbie mistake. I am not sure where they are "imported" from but this time around I'm using American St. Louis ribs.

OP - nice ribs and beer is always a plus.

Those look outstanding. I've never really been a BabyBack fan, but a few more pics like your's and I might need to reconsider.

Back