MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #76
kennedyb
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hey guy's, I'm a newbe to the kamado type grills. In fact i have not even opened the one I bought yesterday from Costco UK as I thought I'd gather as much info before I start it up.
I do have a 57cm Performer and WSM which I'm using currently and I must admit the rsults thus far has been pretty satisfying and continuously improving.
Though I have been eyeing up the BGE for sometime but have been slightly put of by'the price. However when this baby crossed my radar when I walked through Costco I thought it to good a deal at £443 sterling to pass.
Hence I am here now to soak up from those who have been and done!

I hope to share some great experiences with you guys once I unwrap and fire up!

Thanks for all the valueble info in advance!

Cheers,

"LovemyQ"
kennedyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #77
Ridgers

Just finished smoking some ribs on my Vision Grill with the Kamado Joe heat deflector. The ribs were really good.

Did them 2-2-1 and they where super tender.
Ridgers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #78
dmeggers
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hi everybody. What is there a difference between the KJ pizza stone and the KJ heat deflector? Do I need both?
Doing a butt for the fourth.
New at this, Thanks for the help.

Dave
dmeggers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #79
Scottydont81
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeggers View Post
Hi everybody. What is there a difference between the KJ pizza stone and the KJ heat deflector? Do I need both?

Dave
From what I have been able to find out is the KJ pizza stone and te heat deflector are the same minus the embossing on them
Scottydont81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #80
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeggers View Post

Dave
I have the KJ pizza stone and deflector. They are both identical except the embossing as mentioned above. For a butt you don't need both but just one to "deflect" the heat. For Pizza I do use both to keep the crust from burning. There are also other ways of doing pizza with one stone by placing it on the grill grates or the top rack to prevent burning the crust if you jut have one of the stones. I just chose to pick both of them up.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #81
chuckl
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjiveturkey View Post
I use a BGE plate setter (that's all I could find locally). The gap is wide enough to slide small chunks through, or use a rake to move a chunk that's already in the firebox over into the fire. If I have to remove the rack first I just set it on a pot to catch the drippings then lift up the plate setter.
How well does the BGE plate setter fit inside the Classic? Does it match up in diameter ok? Can you post a picture?

Chuck
chuckl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #82
george58
Found some matches.

Hi, I just picked up my Vision grill and need to know which Heat deflector for the Kamado joe you're talking about. I see Two of themthe one for the regular Joe which is the same size as the Vision grill and the Big Joe which is 15". It looks like you're using the one for the Big Joe. Can you please confirm is for me as I don't want to order the wrong one.

Thanks in advance,
George
george58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #83
bigbadwu
Got rid of the matchlight.

awesome thread! just purchased the vision from costco. any recommendations on cooking pork butts and briskets in a kamado? Thanks.
bigbadwu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #84
markdemich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I just ordered this "Kiln Shelf" from an online pottery store.

https://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-15roundx58.aspx

It is 15" and 5/8 thick. It is rated for cone 6 kilns (up to 2165 degrees, had to look that up)

I will let you know how it goes. Cost $17.95 plus shipping. I also got the half shelf since it only cost $10.95.
That's a great idea about the shelve. How did it work our? Could you have gone with the 16" version?
markdemich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #85
rossn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great thread!

I recently purchased a Vision Grill Classic B from CostCo. I would like to do both some smoking and pizza, and am trying to figure out a decent deflector plate setup.

I've read this thread about folks using the Kamado Joe deflector plate, and about the optional notching of the fire bowl that voids the warranty. I've also seen the ceramicgrillstore.com options.

Based on the comments here (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...kjclassic3.htm) it sounds like a smaller gap at the edge (15" stone versus 13" stone as a deflector) is preferable.
I was thinking of using:
- Deflector setup: ceramicgrillstore.com 2012 Vision Spider + 15" Kamado Joe pizza stone (I understand this is the same stone as the deflector, but with some extra embossing)
- Another Pizza stone 16-18" on the top grate that comes with the vision.

How well would this work? Would a 14" cast iron pan work better? If using a larger stone on-top than the deflector, will have a ring-shaped hot-spot at the perimeter?

I didn't see other folks talking about just setting the top/pizza stone on one of the upper grates, and am not sure why you would the jig that comes with the KJ deflector plate. if someone can enlighten me about this, that would be great.

Lastly, when cooking pizza, is there an ideal distance between the deflector plate and the pizza stone? I've heard you want the pizza as high as possible in the dome, and notice most of the deflector plates drop down.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
rossn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #86
Tom53

Default Grillgrates

One other accessory I found that "Works" is the Grillgrate.
http://www.grillgrate.com/

They make them for the Lrge Green Egg and it works perfectly on the Vision. Do a great job with lump charcoal on steaks. The crosshatch grill pattern on the meat impresses everyone. Might also work as deflector. I am going to experiment and let you know.
Tom53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #87
fredcook

I was able to purchase a Vision grill from Costco last week that was marked "Last One". I had looked at them every week since they put them out in the spring, but had not purchased one. This one was already on a cart and was marked down to $499.00. I looked it up on Costco.com and saw someone had bought one from a Costco in Chicago a few days earlier on clearance for $400.00. I mentioned that to the general manager and he marked it down to $399.00.

After seeing this thread I bought the Kamado Joe heat deflector, pizza stone, and chicken stand from a local Pike's Nursery.

Now that I have it, I have to learn how to cook with charcoal. Is there a place on this forum that shows step by step the different ways to cook on this type of grill?

Thanks for any advice you can provide to a BBQ lover and soon to be BBQ cook.
fredcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #88
Larry D

Default New Vision Grill

I picked up a Vison Gill at Cosco in N. Miami Last week for $399. So far i cooked in it twice and had great luck. The firt time i cooked w/o a deflector and had great results. Low and Slow. The next time I made a deflector out of a pizza stone I had around. The stone did a good job. I used the fire grate from my webber to hold it and put the grates on top of the stone. I had the stone too close to the lower grate so i got some charring i wan't expecting, but the meat came out great. Added some water Soaked Apple wood chunks to the Lup Charcoal.
Larry D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #89
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
I was able to purchase a Vision grill from Costco last week that was marked "Last One". I had looked at them every week since they put them out in the spring, but had not purchased one. This one was already on a cart and was marked down to $499.00. I looked it up on Costco.com and saw someone had bought one from a Costco in Chicago a few days earlier on clearance for $400.00. I mentioned that to the general manager and he marked it down to $399.00.

After seeing this thread I bought the Kamado Joe heat deflector, pizza stone, and chicken stand from a local Pike's Nursery.

Now that I have it, I have to learn how to cook with charcoal. Is there a place on this forum that shows step by step the different ways to cook on this type of grill?

Thanks for any advice you can provide to a BBQ lover and soon to be BBQ cook.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome. You'll love the Vision kamado. The following site is for kamado cooking http://www.kamadoguru.com/. (not sure if I can post it but...)

It's got a wealth of info on kamados and there is specifically a section for Vision kamados. It's a learning curve but you'll get the hang of it quick and you'll never want cook on anything else. Seems like you're geared up and ready as well with the accessories.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #90
jaktv
Found some matches.

Question for those who made the Kamado Joe deflector mod on the Vision Kamado. Will you be able to use the double rack with this mod? I am wondering if there is enough clearance to use the top rack...
jaktv is offline   Reply With Quote