• I do occasionally

Votes: 69 55.6%
  • No crutch for me

Votes: 44 35.5%

• Total voters

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'd love to do a poll on this but evidently i'm technologically challenged.

Ok I once was a 3-2-1 (er) but now i drop the 2 and drop the 1. Lots of reasons for this but primarily through experience I found that i can get as good or better quality with no braising. I'm sure there are exceptions but i'd guess the majority of folks that have bbq'd for a while no longer use the crutch....But i can't figure out the darn poll thing. ugh :frusty:

OBTW the reason i said (pork) is because i will foil beef.

No foil here. Just some sauce 10 minutes before they come off

I tried the 3-2-1....way too mushy...been backing off...now 2.5ish then 45 min in foil then 30 or so til done and pass the bend test

I wrap when the ribs a really thick just to help break down the fat a little more.

I used to foil but I like the flavor when no foil unles I am in a comp then I do foil with Parkay.

I don't use foil, but I will wrap in butcher paper to preserve color. Does that count?

Only foil when I want the sweet note of honey and brown sugar more pronounced.

I am not opposed to using foil. I prefer to go nekkid with the ribs, but sometimes the cook dictates if I have to foil. I only foil if the color starts getting to dark.

Now if I was doing competition ribs, I would definitely foil w/ butter, brown sugar, rub, and a liquid/hot sauce to impart even more flavor for 1 bite bbq.

I have tried it at home and the ribs are just too sweet/rich for my tastes and I can't eat anymore after a couple of bones even though I'm still hungry.

Too dark?
Preserve the color?

BBQ ain't supposed to be pretty!

Foil is for the competition section. :wink:

Last edited:
I am not opposed to using foil. I prefer to go nekkid with the ribs, but sometimes the cook dictates if I have to foil. I only foil if the color starts getting to dark.

Now if I was doing competition ribs, I would definitely foil w/ butter, brown sugar, rub, and a liquid/hot sauce to impart even more flavor for 1 bite bbq.

I have tried it at home and the ribs are just too sweet/rich for my tastes and I can't eat anymore after a couple of bones even though I'm still hungry.

:thumb:

I compete; I foil 100% of the time.

I cater; I foil 100% of the time.

I cook at home for family and friends; I foil 100% of the time.

Consistency.

Didnt answer your poll above, there is no entry for 100% of the time.

I forgot to add only foil to the poll...i guess i had no foil on the brain.

It sounds like there is a good mix of both...comps use foil and home is a blend leaning toward not? At least thats the jist i get.

Back