Boneless Pork Butt

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Quick question: Do you guys ever use boneless pork butt (as opposed to bone-in)? I only used it once and I didn't like it because it required the extra step of trussing it up and I still didn't care for the shape as much as bone-in, so it's been bone-in ever since. But I'm a Costco guy, and theirs are always boneless (at least around here), so I'm half tempted to give it another go and save some money. Any thoughts?

I've done a few - trussed some (really not a big pain to do) and cooked some "un-trussed/spread out /all relaxed like. Not sure where not liking the shape comes in-my pork ends up sliced, chunked or shredded before I eat it anyway.

If you like a lot of bark, then cooking it un-trussed works pretty well.

Quick question: Do you guys ever use boneless pork butt (as opposed to bone-in)? I only used it once and I didn't like it because it required the extra step of trussing it up and I still didn't care for the shape as much as bone-in, so it's been bone-in ever since. But I'm a Costco guy, and theirs are always boneless (at least around here), so I'm half tempted to give it another go and save some money. Any thoughts?

Do it. It doesn't make any difference as far as results go.

I get boneless butts from GFS. I like them actually. No real difference. I put them on like they were boned, meaning I make sure they're not spread out. Cooks amazing! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a rib rack that can fit the two Costco butts perfectly together. No trussing needed. It's a little tight at first, but they shrink up fine and I get bark all over.

Light it up and throw a pork butt on, the bone means nothing...

Back