• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Picanha...Performer...Pron!

Thanks everyone, this was farkin delicious, it will be in the regular rotation now for sure.

Not sure what to tell you guys looking for where to find this cut but I just asked the butcher at a local Mexican market chain "Cardenas", even with the language barrier he new what I was looking for. They did not have it in the case, he went in back and removed the cap for me.

Here is a thread where there was a discussion on the subject last week
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258969

Surprised you didn't enter this in the Kettle Cook-Off TD, Tom...

not sure what your talking about Moose, last entry on page 2, but you made me look...

I don't understand the fascination with picanhu. Isn't it sirloin with a fat cap? Someone enlighten me as to why I should care with all the other delicious cuts that are available.

Its a fad right now. It has nothing to do with the cut, and everything to do with how its cooked. Flap or skirt rolled up would be 10x better then this cut.

Usually these fads start with cheap cuts, but word gets around and these cuts become expensive. Its like Short Ribs, they were a hard to cook cheapcut until they became a fad, now they go for $6-$10/lb for choice.

Any butcher that breaks down cows should be able to get it for you...the NAMP cut is "NAMP 184D", though it goes by many names such as coulotte, top sirloin cap roast, and some others. I get mine from a place that dry ages their halved cows for about $5.xx/lb and it's delicious.

If you can find the whole subprimal, you can carve off the "picanha" cut and then have some top sirloin steaks to also cook.

Its a fad right now. It has nothing to do with the cut, and everything to do with how its cooked. Flap or skirt rolled up would be 10x better then this cut.

Usually these fads start with cheap cuts, but word gets around and these cuts become expensive. Its like Short Ribs, they were a hard to cook cheapcut until they became a fad, now they go for $6-$10/lb for choice.

:hand:

It's one of the best cuts of beef, period. Especially if you cook it rodizio style and get a nice crusty fat cap that melts in your mouth when you bite into it.

:hand:

It's one of the best cuts of beef, period. Especially if you cook it rodizio style and get a nice crusty fat cap that melts in your mouth when you bite into it.

:hand: Please........

Try skewering some flap, or Hanger steaks cooked the same way. Then come back and spew that nonsense. I get you like this cut, or the way this cut is cooked, but lets not pretend its better then other cuts.

Try skewering some flap, or Hanger steaks cooked the same way. Then come back and spew that nonsense. I get you like this cut, or the way this cut is cooked, but lets not pretend its better then other cuts.

Hmmm, maybe you can help all of us to stop "pretending" and cook up some flap or hanger steaks and convince us. I mean, I know you like those cuts, I get that. Spew some nonsense at us! :becky::thumb:

Just sayin!

Bob

59b7053c9ae25_LightenupFrancis.jpg.d84082f67494e711a73310d53b7a293f.jpg

No need to be a d!ck.

Hmmm, maybe you can help all of us to stop "pretending" and cook up some flap or hanger steaks and convince us. I mean, I know you like those cuts, I get that. Spew some nonsense at us! :becky::thumb:

Just sayin!

Bob

Challenge accepted. Just give me a few days to procure the meats in question.

A Brazilian coworker has been into that fad for about 46 years. I first learned about this fad from landarc about 7 or so years ago on here (and what the fark does he know...:twisted:), and brother Phubar Phed me my Phirst Phad picanha about 4 years ago. I shared it with my pet rock while I hula-hooped.

So, back to true talk about the OP's subject. I don't meant to detract too much from the beef realm, but, is there a pork cut equivalent? I am imagining some crispy, crunchy pork fat kind of offering if there is a pork option.

Let's not forget to praise the beef flavor of this cut, but the toe curling goodness of that fat cap too. Fat is flavor. I'd hit that with lot of hardness!

Bob

Back