MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Default Need opinions on a firebox Idea for Dera BSKD.

I was wondering if I got a peice of plate steel large enough for the top of the firebox that would fit into the grill area would that effectivley keep the eat flowing trow the smoke chamber? Has anyone ever tried this yet? I was thinking that if I could essentially turn the firebox area into a grill/gridle surface without loosing too much heat by keeping the lid open I could increase teh cook ability. I haven't been too keep on cooking on top og the lid yet, it's just not seasoned well enough. I saw a couple of drawing in the past about shields but never heard anyone who's actaully used one.

My plan is to just simply get a piece of heavy guage plate steel that will either fit into the grill inset area or a slightly larger piece that would be able to lay flat across the entier surface area of the firebox and just kinda sandwich between the lid and box. All ideas and opinions are requested.

thanks

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

John, several of us do this with the factory ashpan. I only do it in cold/windy conditions when every btu counts as it's not without its problems. It cuts down the effective volume of the firebox and makes clean combustion of wood a bit more difficult.

Mark's mod of using a piece of thinner material arched inside the firebox lid creating an insulating space between the lid and the added piece of material is actually a better way to go IMO.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348
I was wondering if I got a peice of plate steel large enough for the top of the firebox that would fit into the grill area would that effectivley keep the eat flowing trow the smoke chamber? Has anyone ever tried this yet? I was thinking that if I could essentially turn the firebox area into a grill/gridle surface without loosing too much heat by keeping the lid open I could increase teh cook ability. I haven't been too keep on cooking on top og the lid yet, it's just not seasoned well enough. I saw a couple of drawing in the past about shields but never heard anyone who's actaully used one.

My plan is to just simply get a piece of heavy guage plate steel that will either fit into the grill inset area or a slightly larger piece that would be able to lay flat across the entier surface area of the firebox and just kinda sandwich between the lid and box. All ideas and opinions are requested.

thanks
If you can find the thread on Phil's MOAB he has the same thing. Huge piece of plate sitting just below the lid of the firebox. The 1/4" plate for the rest of the pit doesn't hurt but TK and other kept that thing humming with nice little fires.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

John,
For cooking on top (painted or unseasoned is not good)--I just lay a sheet of HD aluminum foil on top of the firebox.
Then, cook away

Do eggs, reheat fatties, heat muffins, whatever for breakfast.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Doorbusters
Full Fledged Farker

I just use a $4 skillet from Wal-Mart directly on top of the firebox, or my cast skillet. Works great.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Mark's mod of using a piece of thinner material arched inside the firebox lid creating an insulating space between the lid and the added piece of material is actually a better way to go IMO.
Plus it will add years to the life of the firebox.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote