MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Ordered My 22.5 WSM! But Shipping Problems. Arrgg!!!!

I need to vent on something trivial and I'm guessing this is the right audience as many of you can understand and may have experienced my frustration.

So I was extremely happy after buying a 22.5 WSM on Wednesday on Amazon and I have Amazon prime so overnight shipping is only $3.99. I know Sears has a deal the WSM as well, but I had some Amazon gift cards I needed to use and made it about the same price. Plus again the overnight shipping is awesome. I was so pumped about getting it today and waited and waited and nothing came. I checked the Fedex shipping number and saw that while the order was processed for overnight shipping but it was still in the "Initiated" phase, which means the seller didn't give it to Fedex on Wed. I called Fedex to confirm this was the case and they said "Yes the seller did print out the shipping label to 'initiate' the process but never gave it to Fedex".

It still shows as initiated even late into tonight which also means Fedex still doesn't have it and I won't be getting it tomorrow either.

So I of course spoke with Amazon and all they could do was refund me the $3.99 overnight shipping which I get since they really are just the facilitator for Sellers. So now I have to get in contact with the seller who is "DependableResource".

Has anyone bought a WSM off Amazon and specifically from them? As a seller they had really good feedback. They are past customer service hours so I can't call, but I have already sent them an email and will call Friday when service hours start.

This isn't the end of the world and I have 2 smokers out back still :), but was really hoping to get it for this weekend as a buddy and I are doing our first full practice competition run to get ready for a comp in a few weeks. I wanted to be giving this baby a spin as well along with the other smoker we use.

Now at best I'm guessing if I can get a hold of them tomorrow and they get the package to Fedex and overnight it I will get it Saturday. Not too bad but we are doing and overnight Fri-Saturday cook. So I could and will use it Sunday if they ship it Friday.

Anyways. I just needed to get that off my chest. Nothing worse is the purchasing world than ordering something and they package is in shipping limbo.
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ

Yes, I have, and it arrived with no problems. Sorry about you woes, bro.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Yes, I have, and it arrived with no problems. Sorry about you woes, bro.
No biggie. I actually feel better after typing all that out :). I'm sure it is just some anomaly shipping problem that rarely happens, but did happen to me. I'm going to give Dependable Resource the benefit of the doubt as mistakes do happen, at least until after our first conversation tomorrow which if it goes ok and they correct the problem I won't be upset.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
caseydog

Even if you get it on Saturday, you need to burn it out before cooking on it. My burnout smelled like an old oil-burning Chevy. There is all kinds of manufacturing oily funk on a new WSM.

So, relax and plan to use it next weekend. Or, who knows, it may surprise you and show up tomorrow.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

What you need to understand is, overnight shipping does not mean you are always guaranteed to get it the day after you place your order. What it means is, you get it the day after the vendor actually ships it. And if they ship it too late in the day, it's a two day anyway. I understand your frustrations, but it will be worth the wait
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Even if you get it on Saturday, you need to burn it out before cooking on it. My burnout smelled like an old oil-burning Chevy. There is all kinds of manufacturing oily funk on a new WSM.

So, relax and plan to use it next weekend. Or, who knows, it may surprise you and show up tomorrow.

CD
Fedex and ups won't deliver saturday unless it goes out saturday delivery. I'm also suprised you had so much oil on yours. Mine was clean out of the box.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
What you need to understand is, overnight shipping does not mean you are always guaranteed to get it the day after you place your order. What it means is, you get it the day after the vendor actually ships it. And if they ship it too late in the day, it's a two day anyway. I understand your frustrations, but it will be worth the wait
Yeah I guess that sounds right, but when you order on Amazon and have Prime at the top are 2 buttons for 1 click purchasing. 1 is for overnight and one is for 2day. Next to the overnight button it said get it by March 31st. So that sounds like I should have gotten it today to me. Even if not I would have thought they would have at least given it to fedex today. They printed the shipping label on Wed and didn't give it to fedex then. Ok, I get that, but they just sat on it all day today too? That is why I'm a little ticked.

I still know it will be worth the wait :). And luckily I have my other buddies/smokers to keep me company.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD
Ah I thought you could cook on them right out of the box since the porcelain coating won't rust and you don't really need to season. But you are saying if there is some oil in there I should smoke it out?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cheif View Post
Fedex and ups won't deliver saturday unless it goes out saturday delivery. I'm also suprised you had so much oil on yours. Mine was clean out of the box.
Fedex home delivery runs on Saturdays and no extra charge. I was surprised but I received a few things recently that I wasn't expecting til Monday and it showed up on sat. I even asked the driver and he said yep we deliver on sat's to homes.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Yeah I guess that sounds right, but when you order on Amazon and have Prime at the top are 2 buttons for 1 click purchasing. 1 is for overnight and one is for 2day. Next to the overnight button it said get it by March 31st. So that sounds like I should have gotten it today to me. Even if not I would have thought they would have at least given it to fedex today. They printed the shipping label on Wed and didn't give it to fedex then. Ok, I get that, but they just sat on it all day today too? That is why I'm a little ticked.

I still know it will be worth the wait :). And luckily I have my other buddies/smokers to keep me company.

Trust me, I'd be as irritated as you...or worse. Congrats on your purchase, can't wait to the pron from your first cook.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

You should burn charcoal in it once before smoking just to give the shiny coating on the inside some smoke on it, otherwise it burns hot.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #12
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Never heard of a WSM needing any kind of burn out at all. Even if it's clean outta the box, no burn out needed. They are good to go out of the box. Hope you get yours soon.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Never heard of a WSM needing any kind of burn out at all. Even if it's clean outta the box, no burn out needed. They are good to go out of the box. Hope you get yours soon.

Bob
Thanks. So it sounds like some folks do it but it isn't necessary. After reading some of the comments I read up on it and like some other have said it can burn hot. I'm probably going to do chicken my first go round so if it burns hot it won't be too much of a problem. Hoping to get the problem resolved today and get it Saturday.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

I would do a butt or two, make it a nice long cook.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
I would do a butt or two, make it a nice long cook.
I'm dreaming of it right now :).