MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #1276
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
So, I nearly cut my thumb off tonight. It's ironic because I was talking with my new cook tonight and he was explaining how the only time he's ever cut himself is when he gets distracted talking to people while cutting. So, tonight I'm slicing brisket for a customer and he's at the window chatting about how he also went to MSU. Of course, by conversing with him while slicing I must have lost focus and about sawed my thumb off.

Nothing like a super sharp serrated knife sawing through the top of your thumb down to the bone to end the night. Left a massive trail of blood through the restaurant and we eventually got it wrapped tight enough to temporarily stop bleeding through towels. Going to wait until tomorrow when I unwrap it to see if it's possible it will close on its own or if stitches or something else. I'm guessing it will, but I'll probably just super glue it shut.

Otherwise, a great week, a good day today, and lots of new customers as well as plenty of regulars who come in every other day or so. I have to say, it's really cool to have people who come in all the time and getting to spend some time to get to know them, talk BBQ, etc.

More importantly, can't wait for my one day off tomorrow. Of course my wife is also off due to the holiday and she has a whole list of errands for us to run. Oh well. I can sleep when I'm dead.
You should really consider getting a safety glove while cutting brisket. It's not worth losing a thumb over.

I hope you are okay.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #1277
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not to mention having them for your employees to wear as well.
What'll happen if you're down an employee and have workmans comp to deal with?

Being safe is much cheaper and less painless than not being safe

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #1278
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I wasn't going to respond to the cut thumb situation, but I just can't let it go. You have workman's comp for all the employees, that means you too. Not having it stitched up is not a good idea. You are inviting infection and possibly nerve damage. You have to take care of yourself first. I know you have a great staff, but will they be able to run the place without you yet?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #1279
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Michigan is a state that unless you incorporate or some other way of separation of yourself as sole owner you cannot insure or get comp on yourself.
Been there done that when I broke my back

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #1280
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

A business never survives wasting it's assets. Get your thumb evaluated by an expert. It's what you use to make money.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #1281
landarc

My brother used to cut fish in a fishery up in Humboldt, and he wore the gloves as did almost all of the workers. There is simply too much going on, and it happens so quickly. Get the gloves, wear them religiously, or place your meat cutting station where nobody interacts with you, but, that kind of sucks.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #1282
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

If Jeremy's next post has no spaces in it, we'll know he hurt his thumb pretty good...
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #1283
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Hah. I can still use the spacebar because I always use my right thumb for that. And yeah, no workman's comp on me, but I do carry my own short-term disability policy. Also picked up a glove today. At the very least, probably a good idea to use during the insane dinner rushes.

The cut is bad, but it's on the same thumb, and close to the same spot I tried to hack it off with a utility knife about 10 years ago. That cut caused nerve damage that left most of my thumb numb for a good few years. This cut feels about the same. Lost all feeling on a good part of the thumb, but it will grow back in a few years. Hopefully.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #1284
JCQuick
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Michigan is a state that unless you incorporate or some other way of separation of yourself as sole owner you cannot insure or get comp on yourself.
Been there done that when I broke my back
Same in Florida
JCQuick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #1285
Hoppy
Full Fledged Farker

Beings I just retired from the ER after 20 years in the game if you wait until tomorrow you have waited too long. Cutting yourselves while slicing meat can lead to serious infection.

That is why we ask what a patient was cutting up when they have been injured in a kitchen accident.

Just a heads up.

[B]If Ya Got'em Smoke'm![/B]

Yoder Custom Chisholm II
Weber Gold
Awesome Wife, Co-Cook and Best Friend
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #1286
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok...so this is my first post since joining The Brotherhood. I must say that this thread is, quite possibly, one of the most interesting reads ever. I started yesterday morning and have read every single word of every post. Like a good book, I simply couldn't "put it down".

My wife, family and close friends have been urging me to drop what I am doing and open a Q joint. I have seriously considered doing so but am stepping back for a bit to let all this soak in.

Many thanks to you, Jeremy, for sharing the highs and the lows of starting up a new restaurant. I hope that you continue to update us as frequently as your hectic schedule allows so that I (and others) can live our dreams through you...and hopefully someday, I'll possess the knowledge (and cajones) to make my dream a reality.
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #1287
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I have a concealed carry permit, but don't carry. But it's probably not a bad idea.
As business owner, you certainly should when coming in or leaving for the night. You are a target at those times mostly because that is when a lot of business owners are carrying the business cash so perps are looking for that opportunity. Regardless if you do that or not, you should have protection with you just in case.
GrillsGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #1288
Redleg71
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

For you local folks, I'll be on WNDU 16's morning show tomorrow (Friday) during their foodie forum segment. It wasn't so much an interview like I thought it would be, but a camera crew came and filmed a bunch of the stuff at the place like platters of food, slicing brisket, pulling pork, etc. I guess they will use that as a backdrop while someone talks about the restaurant and what we do. Either way, free advertising, so I'll take it!

But as of today we've officially got two weeks under our belt. How the time flies. I've learned a lot, the staff has come together, mistakes are becoming almost non-existent, and the customer flow is still steady.

But there is one thing I'm struggling with, and I don't know if my standards are just too high, or if customer expectations are just lower than I thought. When I taste something and it isn't perfect, at least as far as I'm concerned, I don't sell it. Like today, pulled a fresh new brisket out of the holding cabinet and started slicing it for a customer and tasted a piece. Flat was too dry for my liking, so I told the guy I wasn't going to give it to him because I felt it wasn't good enough and subbed his brisket for some ribs and gave him a free dessert. But he insisted he still wanted a sample of the brisket just to get an idea of the flavor. After he tried it he said it wasn't too dry at all and he would have loved to buy a pound to go to take home.

So what the hell do you do? I know it's dry. I'm cooking many briskets a day and it isn't hard to see when one is overcooked a bit. I know it isn't good enough, but the customers like it. If they like it and are willing to pay, is it really that bad, or am I just being too critical and am I throwing money away by resorting to using the meat in chili, beans, etc?

The same thing happened earlier when two customers both wanted chicken. One as a half bird, the other pulled. I filled the order and after sending it tried some of the chicken I was pulling and it was dry (to me). We didn't have any chicken ready at the time to replace it, so I went out there and apologized for the dry chicken and gave them dessert and a few extras, and they both insisted that the chicken was amazing and giving them free stuff was totally unnecessary.

So I don't know. Maybe I'm just overly critical, which is leading to waste. But I just think about it if I sample something and it isn't one of the best things I've put into my mouth, then it isn't good enough to charge people money for. Then again, you look at all the crap people are paying for elsewhere and it's a reminder that this isn't a KCBS competition and it's just regular people looking for good barbecue.

People love businesses that value quality. You should sell it bulk at 50% off and market your screwups! It will be great from a merketing perspective and will cut your waste costs

Old 02-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #1289
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

While I don't have a full fledged restaurant...I've had the same dilemma in the farmer's market during the summer. I've pulled ribs out of the smoker...usually towards the end of my supply for the day...and I know they're not perfect. I see them as being overdone, on the verge of falling apart, and the edges on some almost crusty.

On more than one occasion, I've sold them at a big discount with an apology. Just about every one of those people come back the following week and ask for the ribs done the exact same way. I guess my point is you're the biggest critic of your cooking and it's almost never "perfect" in your eyes (even though your customers think your food is awesome). That shows you care....really care...about what you're serving. And THAT is what makes your customers happy...and coming back.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #1290
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
As business owner, you certainly should when coming in or leaving for the night. You are a target at those times mostly because that is when a lot of business owners are carrying the business cash so perps are looking for that opportunity. Regardless if you do that or not, you should have protection with you just in case.
My cousin ran the snack bar in a bowling alley. He always carried. One night after work, he was shot in the base of the skull by a 14 year old using a .25 cal. Unless you are carrying the weapon in your hand ready to use, the armed thief wins. Safer to leave the deposit till morning.