First chuckie

oldpro

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I did my first chuck roast, and it turned out very good - not great. I used Angelo's Beef rub mixed with some brown sugar. Angelo's rub is pretty hot, but I grew up eating their brisket in Fort Worth, and it was some of the best, so I use that when I'm in a hurry. Put the rub on 24 hours in advance.

We had a big cool front coming through with an all day rain, and I barely got the Weber going when it hit. Added hickory chunks and started cooking. The temp stayed between 230 and 250. After 6 hours, and two more hickory chunks, the internal temp was 170 degrees. I wrapped it and cooked for two more hours to 195 internal temp.

It made very good pulled beef sandwiches, which my wife liked a lot, although it was pretty hot seasoning wise. The chuck picked up more of the heat from the seasoning than a brisket does. It was fine for me. It seemed to be a little drier than a brisket, and since I prefer the point portion to the flat on a brisket, I would have preferred it to be more juicy. Maybe basting would have helped that, but I didn't do that with this one.

It was good enough that I will do it again. It got me through a rainy day!

I did my first chuck roast, and it turned out very good - not great. I used Angelo's Beef rub mixed with some brown sugar. Angelo's rub is pretty hot, but I grew up eating their brisket in Fort Worth, and it was some of the best, so I use that when I'm in a hurry. Put the rub on 24 hours in advance.

We had a big cool front coming through with an all day rain, and I barely got the Weber going when it hit. Added hickory chunks and started cooking. The temp stayed between 230 and 250. After 6 hours, and two more hickory chunks, the internal temp was 170 degrees. I wrapped it and cooked for two more hours to 195 internal temp.

It made very good pulled beef sandwiches, which my wife liked a lot, although it was pretty hot seasoning wise. The chuck picked up more of the heat from the seasoning than a brisket does. It was fine for me. It seemed to be a little drier than a brisket, and since I prefer the point portion to the flat on a brisket, I would have preferred it to be more juicy. Maybe basting would have helped that, but I didn't do that with this one.

It was good enough that I will do it again. It got me through a rainy day!

I hear ya oldpro, while we really enjoyed the chuckie I did Sunday, we had sammys yesterday and I found the meat to be on the dry side. I also foiled at 165. I think the next time I will add a little beef broth to the foil before closing. Maybe that will help. :biggrin:

It sounds mighty tasty OldPro. I like to add broth during the foil sometimes. It works great with venison too. :-D

I'm curious. Do most people baste or add liquid to their chuckies? I know some of you foil and some don't. Since I was watching the temp, I'm pretty sure I didn't overcook. It would pull, or I could slice it with a very sharp knife.

I no longer baste brisket, and I never basted pork butts. I wrap both, and being juicy has not been a problem unless I just go to sleep at the switch and overcook them.

Back