BGE: Dinner

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been struggling with how to grill on my BGE. I know what it's capable of, but I lack the skill to help my Egg realize it's potential. I've destroyed a couple of butts and nuked a ridiculously expensive ribcap. This is not something I'm used to. Thanks to Groundhog66, and others on the forum, I'm finding my way around.

My first steaks on the Egg were cooked with the TREX method. I didn't care for that at all and posted here on the forum about my experience and asked for advice. You all came back quickly with the suggestion to reverse sear.

Without further adieu, here is tonight's dinner.

White trash alert: Please excuse the tater tots. Draeger's had crap potatoes today and the kids love them, so we figured "what the heck". I'd ask you to excuse the EZ-Up too, but it's raining so f**** it. :D

I't dark and POURING rain, so I setup my brand new EZ-Up:

IMG_0936.jpg

Some prime filet from Draeger's and a little salt and pepper:

IMG_0939.jpg

I cooked indirect with the platesetter and porcelain grate to 115F. The grate temp was 375. I pulled them at this point and stoked my lava:

IMG_0946.jpg

I put the steaks on the lava:

IMG_0947.jpg

Here's where I had to improvise a bit. With the lava, I learned the hard way on my rib cap that it's easy to burn, so I setup my iPhone as a timer and seared for 30s per turn, 60s per side. I pulled them prior to getting my lava ready at 115. After searing, I was at 118. Pretty close to where I want to be, but not quite there. I stuck them on the very edge of the grid and shut down all vents for about 60s.

I had my first near death Egg experience as I opened the lid and had a backdraft come at me and sear much of the hair off of my arm.

IMG_0957.jpg

I ended up at 130F after a rest, which is perfect to my taste. It was like pure butter:

IMG_0958.jpg

The butt goes on in 2 hours and ribs in 12. Looking forward to a nice long week of successful cooks.

Thanks for checking out my crazy good dinner.

Dave

Rubbed ribs and injected butt:
IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Looks good on the dinner.

FYI... do the "burp" before opening the lid when running high heat... lift the lid about 1 inch, then close... repeat a few times before opening up wide... will save a few hairs and reduce the flare-up.

Steaks look great. Take notes or create a blog to document your cooks. Then you can look back on them.

Sounds like you are going to be eating very well this week, glad you are having fun with it.

looks good and sound like us friends need some egg love from onehump .... all that are close to his place we need to go watch the meat cook lol

Haha! I've got a butt on the Egg right now and there's no way I'm throwing this one out. I've got StokerLog running on my PC and the Stoker HTML page on my phone.

So far everything is perfect. Starting a new thread on that cook.

Thanks for the continued advice guys. I appreciate every bit of it.

Dave

The steak looks great! Looking forward to seeing the finished ribs and pork butt pron!

Kudos to you for smoking tonight cause it is pretty wet & windy down the road from you!

Looks like your off and running Dave! Great job on the steak! I'm sure the butt and ribs will come out great as well!

Cheers

Thanks guys!

Yeah John, the weather is horrible. I don't even want to walk the 4 feet from the patio door to the EZ-Up. Speaking of EZ-Up, I went to Big-5 today in Dublin and picked it up. It was $150 and I asked for a "price match". She asked which price and I told her "your best price". She said "How's $99?"

Thanks guys!

Yeah John, the weather is horrible. I don't even want to walk the 4 feet from the patio door to the EZ-Up. Speaking of EZ-Up, I went to Big-5 today in Dublin and picked it up. It was $150 and I asked for a "price match". She asked which price and I told her "your best price". She said "How's $99?"

Thanks for the tip! I have 2 pop up covers already (not EZ-Up brand but very similar) but will keep that in mind the next time I need one. :heh:

Nice job on the steaks...I use a cast iron grate to sear mine...:thumb:

Try rubbing up some baking potatoes with EVOO and salt then roasting them on your BGE @ 400 for an hour...the potato skin comes out very crispy and the inside is moist and flakey...perfect potato. I also use a couple of beer can chicken holders to keep them up off the grate...:thumb:

IMG_7026.jpg

I've burned the hair off my forearms a couple of times...you learn to "burp" the BGE after that!

The "burp" is so deeply ingrained into my head now I often find myself burping my eggs when they're not even lit! :crazy:

Looks like you nailed the steak perfectly. Congrats.

Hey, never apologize for tater tots or anything else that you/your family likes. You'll see just about everything here...and I mean every.thing.

Steak looks great!!! Nice deal on the EZ-up, pretty sly on the price match.

Back