Company picnic for 200+ and no turning back

history123

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi all!
New member and have read a lot on our site about quantity etc for the masses. My boss tasted my hobby recipes of ribs and pulled pork and wants me to cook for the company. He wants more food than our group can possibly eat so good to go on quantity. we're doing 50 racks of spare ribs and 14 butts for pulled pork.

My question is relating to the smoker size and the differences between using my personal smoker versus the massive unit our company owns and sends to our regional offices.

I'm assured that the unit holds temp well etc but wondering what the glaring differences are when using a massive unit vs a home sized smoker.

The picnic is this Saturday afternoon and I'm not able to get my hands on the trailer sized unit until the Friday before. I've never used it and will have no opportunity to test it out.

I can start as early as Friday at 10am and the picnic is at 2pm the next day.

okay, hit me. I know I'm an idiot for agreeing to this so let's try to get that part out of the discussion. I feel stupid already. I have had great success with doing up to 10 racks and 4 butts. What am I going to experience with 50 racks and 14 butts?

OKAY......... GO

Larry

The main issue I can see, with the "massive unit", is if you have never operated it you could run into problems trying to cook that quantity of meat. Every unit, big or small, operates differently. Is there any way you can get it early enough to do a test run or two? It would not be good to have meats not cooking "right" just prior to serving.

i tried posting pictures of the unit but couldn't upload sorry. Well the good news is that the picnic went well. I learned a lot. We ended up renting a second trailer. 50 racks take up a lot of space so we put all the butts on the second unit.

Biggest lesson learned was that i needed multiple digital thermometers for the pork buts. After 12 hours or so the one i had my only thermometer in had reached 199 (I took a nap and bam we were there). I then opened up the unit and shut it off thinking i was going to wrap all of them and hold in coolers until it was time to head to the picnic. I decided to check the temp on the lower rack of butts and they were only at 175 degrees. I lost a lot of time getting the unit back to temp and it took another 4 hours to get the lower racked butts to temp. We had plenty of time so all went fine.

And thus, most of us who cook for large cooks, use instant reads. No way to monitor all of the meat at once, but, a fast instant read makes the chore of testing temps a whole lot faster.

When I was learning to cook for a professional kitchen, I was told to make sure I had an instant read in my pocket at the start of shift, and to use it for everything. It is like a carpenter who shows up for work without a hammer, what are you thinking?

no doubt landarc.

well, still pretty happy with the results. I'm not a caterer, just a hobby guy and had never cooked for that many.

Out of 50 racks there were 3 left and out of 16 butts there was only 2 zip lock bags left.

i'm grateful for this site because there was a lot of good info.

Just make sure to start a good 2-3 hrs before you would normally at home. Ribs and butts both will do fine in a cooler waiting on your guest rather than them waiting on you to finish the food.

Back