MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Grease Stains on UDS

I'm planning my third UDS build with a Weber lid mod. One downside to the UDS is the U for "ugly." Anybody been successful in preventing the grease streaks running down the outside of the drum? If so, how did you do it?

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Weber is smarter than peeps give em credit for.That is why THEY are designed for the crud to drip down the INSIDE.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not without a lot of work to the lid. The grease comes down off the lid and looks for the easiest way down.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Weber got it right for the WSM. However, if I’m using a 22.5 grill lid, it is a different story. On the WSM, the lid fits inside an outer lip on the center barrel section causing the grease to run on the inside as Hoss mentioned. On the grill, the outer lip is on the lid which sits outside of the drum diameter. This causes the grease to run down the outside of the drum.

Hoss is on to something though. Has anybody fabricated an outer lip on the drum? I can’t think of an easy way to do it. Grease gutter?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
MattCom
Take a breath!

Someone on here once suggested putting a bead of high heat silicon about an inch up from the edge of the lid, this will keep the drips inside the barrel. I don't like the idea a foreign material right above my food surface, and if it ever came off it would be in the bottom of the barrel.
I also saw someone who welded a ring on the inside that works the same way. That is the ideal way if you have access to a mig and someone with some skill.

My drum is SS, so i just wipe it down when needed.

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

hmmm i dont really see an issue... i guess im not worried about grease on my smoker.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

Yea, what he said... what's the problem??? U is for ugly, right? :)
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Use the flat lid that came with the drum

Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cut off just over two inches of a kettle bottom to insert into the drum and used Rutland gaskets from Ace Hardware to seal it in. The kettle lid seals perfectly and the drippings fall inside. I have never had a single lid drip in just under three years.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
swamprb

The soon to be patented "swamprb UDS/Kettle flange mod".
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Although minimal, I don't mind a few external grease streaks running down from the lid. At least the lid will keep rain or moisture out when the drum is left out in the open.

Last edited by Carbon; 03-04-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in the process of my weber uds build as well. Anyone have a rec on how to clean up the grease that does run? Just soap and water or is there a de-grease spray you all use? tia
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

SmokeSmeller, I did the same exact thing except I finished it off with some high temp caulk. I imagine the grease from the lid just gets soaked up by your gasket where mine pools up and drips onto the barrel because of the caulk. Maybe the answer is to keep it simpler and forget the caulk.

Does your flange fit tight inside the drum with the gasket? Mine did not and that is why I added the caulk to fill in any gaps.

Mark,
Greased Lightning works pretty well.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas68 View Post
SmokeSmeller, I did the same exact thing except I finished it off with some high temp caulk. I imagine the grease from the lid just gets soaked up by your gasket where mine pools up and drips onto the barrel because of the caulk. Maybe the answer is to keep it simpler and forget the caulk.

Does your flange fit tight inside the drum with the gasket? Mine did not and that is why I added the caulk to fill in any gaps.

Mark,
Greased Lightning works pretty well.
Ya know, I've never thought to analyze why it doesn't drip outside the lid. My grandson his smoking is very first batch of ribs on it right now. I will take a good look when he takes them up in a couple of hours.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Bludawg

I use a flat lid I cant bring my self to destroy a weber and have never found anything short of a taraadactile that wouldn't fit under it