MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #46
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
Good morning BBQ Fans!! It is going to be a wonderful day!!

We have started the ball rolling here with some positive feedback from some of the candidates. Lets keep it going this morning.

The KCBS has been a non profit organization from the beginning and been governed by volunteers. Do you think it would be better served by being a for profit company and run as a business? From what I understand we have come close a couple of times to violating the non profit status with too much money in the bank.

What do you think guys?
Several friends have suggested to me that this is what they believe should happen. I disagree.

Making money, and fulfilling the current mission statement don't have to be mutually exclusive. Looking at grants and existing education programs, it seems clear to me that a greater emphasis needs to be placed on those areas. I believe there is a greater value to society in general and KCBS in particular if we focus on the existing goals.

I do agree that KCBS would benefit from being run more like a business. Sound fiscal and marketing principles would serve KCBS well as a not for profit organization. The way it appears to me is that most of the money is banked, little is invested in infrastructure or in any other way to benefit the organization in the future.

I'd prefer to see less time spent on minutia and more time spent developing a vision for the future, putting attainable and visible benchmarks in place for membership to track progress. Elected leadership needs to have the time and resource to lead and plan, rather than manage.

If elected, and KCBS is converted to a strictly for profit entity I will resign. I'm willing to serve the membership, and do my best to promote and preserve BBQ as the current mission statement mandates. I currently run my own business, and will launch a separate company within the next year with partners. I'm willing to spend my time on an organization that I believe in, and serve like minded members to accomplish a common goal. I have zero interest in spending more time, chasing money.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #47
Jorge

Require judges to cook with a team? No.

I think KCBS could do more to encourage that practice, but I don't see it as being practical to require it. I don't want to be responsible for saddling a team with someone that just may not be suited to the task, that is unwilling to understand boundaries etc...

I think it would be a great practice for KCBS to maintain a database of teams willing to host a judge, and make that information available to judges interested in the opportunity.

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #48
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
From what I understand we have come close a couple of times to violating the non profit status with too much money in the bank. What do you think guys?
If we're going to remain a charitable, non-profit organization then we need to keep a very close eye on where our money goes. Dispersing money always has the chance to corrupt both the giver and the taker of those funds.

I think that each and every charitable disbursement should get a complete top to bottom review every time a request for funds is submitted. Just because we have donated in the past does not guarantee a check this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I told him sure, but there were a few things he had to do in order to accomplish this:
1) Pitch in on expenses
2) Get there in time to set up
3) Stay all night
4) Help around camp during the day (i.e. dishes, trash, etc.)
5) Help tear down

He looked like I ran over his mother with my car. I asked him what the problem was and he replied: "I just wanted to get there after work on Friday and stay for a few hours."

Not happenin'.
Steph, I'm 100% in favor of points 2 through 5 above. #1 I'm not too sure of, although letting the CBJ know just how much this hobby costs and having him/her chip in for dinner / drinks, etc is more than fair.

The part about just showing up for a few hours is what really gripes my arse! I'm of the persuasion that to "cook with a team" means a hell of a lot more than just a few hours on Friday night when everyone is laughing, eating and drinking! How can some one find out what comp cooking is all about unless they do the whole thing???
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #49
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
Tarheel, as a cook would you support using the comment cards for scores of 6 or less and 9's? Personally, I usually know what we didn't do right but, when we knock it out of the park with 9's I want to know what it was about that entry that made it a 9.
What do you think about making the comment cards go both ways?
They do go both ways, I have gotten them for both, the 9 is usually good enough to tell me you liked it tho.

If you give me a six I want to know what you thought was wrong with it. I have turned in some entries that we thought had a good chance at being in the top 10 only to have a couple of judges give it 6's or 7's. That is when I need to know what you were tasting that you didn't like. We also know when it just isnt going to work.

Had a cooker quit on me in Dillard this year with the ribs in it. Didn't realize it till it was too late to get them done. No doubt they were tough. Still got 2 9's on tenderness. I know they were tough so what am I gona get from those judges when I do get it just right?
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #50
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=Rookie'48;1832294]If we're going to remain a charitable, non-profit organization then we need to keep a very close eye on where our money goes. Dispersing money always has the chance to corrupt both the giver and the taker of those funds.

I think that each and every charitable disbursement should get a complete top to bottom review every time a request for funds is submitted. Just because we have donated in the past does not guarantee a check this year.

I think it was more about the fact we had too much money for a non-profit in the bank. Not up to date on all of that but I guess you can only have so much in the bank and we were approching that limit.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #51
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Require judges to cook with a team? No.

I think KCBS could do more to encourage that practice, but I don't see it as being practical to require it. I don't want to be responsible for saddling a team with someone that just may not be suited to the task, that is unwilling to understand boundaries etc...

I think it would be a great practice for KCBS to maintain a database of teams willing to host a judge, and make that information available to judges interested in the opportunity.
You don't think that requiring them to cook with a team would weed out some of those who are just in it for the food and are not committed to excellence in BBQ. It would still work the same way, they have to find a team willing to let them cook with them. I want the judges to be just as committed to this as I am.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #52
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
A CBJ came up to us in Excelsior and asked us if he could cook with us to get his Masters. I told him sure, but there were a few things he had to do in order to accomplish this:
1) Pitch in on expenses
2) Get there in time to set up
3) Stay all night
4) Help around camp during the day (i.e. dishes, trash, etc.)
5) Help tear down

He looked like I ran over his mother with my car. I asked him what the problem was and he replied: "I just wanted to get there after work on Friday and stay for a few hours."

Not happenin'.
If the judge took you up on that and you won a bunch of money were you planning to split it with him/her ?
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #53
Jorge

Quote:
You don't think that requiring them to cook with a team would weed out some of those who are just in it for the food and are not committed to excellence in BBQ. It would still work the same way, they have to find a team willing to let them cook with them. I want the judges to be just as committed to this as I am.
I think we'd be just as likely to weed out some judges that know and understand the rules, and make their best effort to judge consistently and fairly by imposing such a rule. Cooking for 24+ hours isn't for everyone.

As far as judges that are in it just for the food....I absolutely support the decision that I understand that you made regarding coolers at your contest. Teams and judges can vote with their feet, and wallets in coming years if your stance remains the same. As a cook, I know that I'd appreciate the fact that you gave it some thought and took action. Over time I think that your pool of judges will become above average because you WILL cull those that aren't there to do the job asked, and expected of them. As I've said before, I think 99% of the complaints are about 1 % of the judges. Cooks talk, and if a contest has continuing issues interest dies off.

Personally, I've never understood the desire to take leftover and partially eaten food home. If a judge takes a fair sample, and gives their best effort to render a fair score I don't care what they do with the food in front of them. If they aren't doing that, it should be an issue addressed by the table captain and Rep.

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #54
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Good morning BBQ Fans!! It is going to be a wonderful day!!

We have started the ball rolling here with some positive feedback from some of the candidates. Lets keep it going this morning.

The KCBS has been a non profit organization from the beginning and been governed by volunteers. Do you think it would be better served by being a for profit company and run as a business? From what I understand we have come close a couple of times to violating the non profit status with too much money in the bank.

What do you think guys?
I think you raise a good point about the tax status of the KCBS. I strongly believe that if the organization has an accurate budget with bylaws that dictate
what amounts of funds can be carried over including: amount in rainy day, relief funds, and other specific line items it wouldn't be an issue. If you should have an abundance of funds that would draw attention from the IRS then a more detailed budget and more philanthropy may be a good idea.
Turning the organization into a business would then turn every member now into stock holders and that opens up a HUGE can of legal worms.
I would suggest that if having too much in savings is an issue then maybe invest in recruitment and training for quality reps where there are shortages, add funding to youth activities, build an online education database( like Dave Compton suggested), and support the other state and regional bbq societies better.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #55
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I also like what's been done with the Sam's Club series but there need to be some big tweeks to the system before it launches next year. I would like to see the organization of each contest being opened up to an application process so that some of our great KCBS organizers have a shot at the job, not just board members.
Yeah there is something wrong when the board members snap up all the good "jobs" like that. Anyone on a board or other elective office should really avoid anything that appears to be favoritism.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #56
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
If the judge took you up on that and you won a bunch of money were you planning to split it with him/her ?
It wouldn't have to be a bunch of money. Whatever percentage we split expenses, we'd split the winnings. That's only fair.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #57
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Roy, I can offer a bit of insider on this. I don't think it is any surprise that I have received Grants for my foundation the last 3 years. For some reason KCBS does not want to advertise that. I am not sure why? But I would think that they would want ot be out there telling people that we are trying to cure cancer, trying to cure hunger, trying to take care of inner-city youths.... KCBS is not just about Extreme Makeover and whatever else they can get the name in lights. All of these other well deserving requests for Grants should be highlighted and shown brightly for all those to see.

If I am shooitng myself in the foot for discussing this. Then so be it. I am not in anyway taking away from KCBS, just would rather they promote what they are doing and trying to assist others. But I am not on the Board and I can only appreciate and thank them for the support over the years. KCBS does a lot of good things, giving out Grants and scholarships is a tremendous thing that they do. Could they add more funds to Philantrophy and take away some of the "slush" funds that they have created? I'll let others decide on that...

My understanding is that they are going to changing their application process around a bit. I don't have any problem with that, just don't freeze out some of the 501c3's that they have supported over the years because they want new blood. I want to be awarded Grants because of what we do, not because we were a token for that year and not the next.

When we submit our application, I know personally I give them more information than is required. I do not want anyone to come along and say that I got favortism for whatever reason. If I am a legit 501c3, then as a foundation I have nothing to hide. So when the board or Philantrophy Chair requests more information from me, I don't have a problem with that. So I know that they do go over the Grant Requests with a fine tooth comb.

I am proud of what we as a foundation has done in trying to assist others. Just as I would hope KCBS would feel the same. I hope that I am allowed to apply for another Grant next year from the Board. I hope that they realize what we are doing is to try and make a difference. Granted we are tiny compared to other national cancer research foundations. But I like to look at it as we are tailored for BBQ. It effects us all and if it hasn't, it will.

So thanks to the KCBS Board of Directors. They receive a lot of heat. Even from me... But in the end, I truly believe that they want what is best for KCBS and us cooks. They are disfunctional at times, but so is my family. Doesn't mean at the end of the day that we don't support each other.

Cancer Sucks!

Scottie Johnson
KCBS # 7644
Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation

[quote=Tarheel;1832372]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
If we're going to remain a charitable, non-profit organization then we need to keep a very close eye on where our money goes. Dispersing money always has the chance to corrupt both the giver and the taker of those funds.

I think it was more about the fact we had too much money for a non-profit in the bank. Not up to date on all of that but I guess you can only have so much in the bank and we were approching that limit.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #58
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=Scottie;1832529]
So thanks to the KCBS Board of Directors. They receive a lot of heat. Even from me... But in the end, I truly believe that they want what is best for KCBS and us cooks. They are disfunctional at times, but so is my family. Doesn't mean at the end of the day that we don't support each other.

Cancer Sucks!

Scottie Johnson
KCBS # 7644
Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation

Yes, they do a lot of good things that most don't see or even look for. Some folks can't see the big picture. And yes I to have given them my fair share of heat as well. And the board says!!! But I will also be one to stand up and praise them when they do good. I know that what they are doing is not an easy job and most of them have figured out it is a thankless job most of the time too.

So for you candidates out there if you can't take the heat don't get in the kitchen. Cause I will still be here to stir the pot and I am sure Scottie will stroke it once and a while too.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #59
Jeff_in_KC

Tmi.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #60
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
...what do you think about requiring judges to cook with a team prior to judging?.

Roy
The first candidate with the 'cajones' to stand for that gets my vote.