MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #31
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Remember when I said you might not be my candidate?

You totally won me over with that post

Vote the FAB 4!
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #32
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

See, there we go, there are some good things. I can feel the energy building across the country now. I agree with most everything you guys are saying too. I do believe that I run the best contest tho. Sorry Jeff.

There will always be room for improvement with any process. If you don't pay attention to it on a daily bases you get behind and then it gets really hard to catch up. But I also believe you can micro manage something to death too. Not to mention anything like pork collar or hair dryers. It is easy to get to far down in the weeds with things.

I too think that events like the Sams club events will help us grow but is the gain worth the cost. We do have to remember that the small contest is what keeps the lights on too. There will come a day when the board is going to have to say no not at this time. If that rubber stamp keeps running ramped with contest it will end up hurting the big picture.

Keep it coming guys, what do you think about requiring judges to cook with a team prior to judging? I myself am a little tired of 6's on appearance form that one or two judges that just got certified when I am getting 9's from the rest. I think I know how to put it in the box.

Roy
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #33
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
There will come a day when the board is going to have to say no not at this time. If that rubber stamp keeps running ramped with contest it will end up hurting the big picture.
We're seeing that now. KCBS says no and the organizer goes to one of the regional organizations.

Quote:
Keep it coming guys, what do you think about requiring judges to cook with a team prior to judging?
Roy
I think it's as pointless as requiring cooks to judge a contest before they can cook.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #34
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would like to come up with a way to get more judges to hook up with more cooks. I think that cooking with a team should be part and parcel of the judging package. I know that I've introduced at least half a dozen judges to cooks so that the judge could cook for his/her Master's badge and I wonder what we can do to get more judges to know more cooks.

I'd also like to see more cooks in the judging tent so that they can hear the comments made between courses. Things like: "What did you think of rib #4? All I could taste was the sauce" or "Those chunks in #6's pork entry were all fat - he would have been better off not putting them in there" or "Wow! That has to be one of the best briskie slices I've had lately". Then you'll hear the "WHY" of the scores.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #35
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

I think it's as pointless as requiring cooks to judge a contest before they can cook.[/QUOTE]

Come on now you don't think a judge could learn something from cooking with a cook? I will give you a prime example, judge cooking with a team for his masters, judged 30+ contest already, thought the organizer was paying for the meat. That is what your entry fee is for isn't it? And you should have seen him after awards with the score sheet. Sounded just like a cook.

It can be an eye opening experience for most all of them. And I do believe it should happen sooner than later.

I have tried a couple of things trying to get judges to go out and visit with cooks and talk to them. We have lots of judges that will stop by and see us at a contest. Most of them are not bad. Just the ones who give me a 5 or 6 in appearance, them I want to execute. Just kidding.

At my contest I strongly encourage the judges if they give a 6 or less they need to fill out a comment card. I also don't let them take any food from there entries. I have the cooks provide goodie bags of meat for them to take home. Thats one of the other pots I stir.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #36
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
See, there we go, there are some good things. I can feel the energy building across the country now. I agree with most everything you guys are saying too. I do believe that I run the best contest tho. Sorry Jeff.

There will always be room for improvement with any process. If you don't pay attention to it on a daily bases you get behind and then it gets really hard to catch up. But I also believe you can micro manage something to death too. Not to mention anything like pork collar or hair dryers. It is easy to get to far down in the weeds with things.

I too think that events like the Sams club events will help us grow but is the gain worth the cost. We do have to remember that the small contest is what keeps the lights on too. There will come a day when the board is going to have to say no not at this time. If that rubber stamp keeps running ramped with contest it will end up hurting the big picture.

Keep it coming guys, what do you think about requiring judges to cook with a team prior to judging? I myself am a little tired of 6's on appearance form that one or two judges that just got certified when I am getting 9's from the rest. I think I know how to put it in the box.

Roy
Requiring would be tough. Anytime you mandate something you run into problems. Having someone like Dave Compton at a judging class to "highly recommend" that judges cook with a team and then have a list of teams willing to take on an apprentice for a contest would be a more productive means. I think that having a database of teams willing to take a judge on if it helps with scoring for them and everyone else would be great! Sign us up at Butler Center BBQ!
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #37
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I think it's as pointless as requiring cooks to judge a contest before they can cook.
Come on now you don't think a judge could learn something from cooking with a cook? I will give you a prime example, judge cooking with a team for his masters, judged 30+ contest already, thought the organizer was paying for the meat. That is what your entry fee is for isn't it? And you should have seen him after awards with the score sheet. Sounded just like a cook.

It can be an eye opening experience for most all of them. And I do believe it should happen sooner than later.

I have tried a couple of things trying to get judges to go out and visit with cooks and talk to them. We have lots of judges that will stop by and see us at a contest. Most of them are not bad. Just the ones who give me a 5 or 6 in
appearance, them I want to execute. Just kidding.

At my contest I strongly encourage the judges if they give a 6 or less they need to fill out a comment card. I also don't let them take any food from there entries. I have the cooks provide goodie bags of meat for them to take home. Thats one of the other pots I stir.[/QUOTE]
I think I metioned your amazing comment card recommendation in another post and I love it! I like to know what I need to work on and what I did right. Both are equally important to me. Recently in Dubuque we tried a new product and in the category that we tried it in we scored very well. I wish a judge would have mentioned why they scored it so high.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #38
bam
is One Chatty Farker

If only folks would vote if not same chit different day.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 AM   #39
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
What???
lol it all makes denver in my head lol
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #40
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

I will vote for anyone who agrees to ban judges from bringing ziplocks and coolers into the judging tent! Kidding, but not really!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #41
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
I would like to come up with a way to get more judges to hook up with more cooks. I think that cooking with a team should be part and parcel of the judging package. I know that I've introduced at least half a dozen judges to cooks so that the judge could cook for his/her Master's badge and I wonder what we can do to get more judges to know more cooks.

I'd also like to see more cooks in the judging tent so that they can hear the comments made between courses. Things like: "What did you think of rib #4? All I could taste was the sauce" or "Those chunks in #6's pork entry were all fat - he would have been better off not putting them in there" or "Wow! That has to be one of the best briskie slices I've had lately". Then you'll hear the "WHY" of the scores.
I have encouraged cooks to do the very same thing. If you want to know what others are doing go judge! I also do beleve in the comment cards and think judges need to provide that feedback to the cooks so they know they need to improve. I have changed the way I do things because of what judges say they like or don't like.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #42
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I have encouraged cooks to do the very same thing. If you want to know what others are doing go judge! I also do beleve in the comment cards and think judges need to provide that feedback to the cooks so they know they need to improve. I have changed the way I do things because of what judges say they like or don't like.
Tarheel, as a cook would you support using the comment cards for scores of 6 or less and 9's? Personally, I usually know what we didn't do right but, when we knock it out of the park with 9's I want to know what it was about that entry that made it a 9.
What do you think about making the comment cards go both ways?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #43
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Good morning BBQ Fans!! It is going to be a wonderful day!!

We have started the ball rolling here with some positive feedback from some of the candidates. Lets keep it going this morning.

The KCBS has been a non profit organization from the beginning and been governed by volunteers. Do you think it would be better served by being a for profit company and run as a business? From what I understand we have come close a couple of times to violating the non profit status with too much money in the bank.

What do you think guys?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #44
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

A CBJ came up to us in Excelsior and asked us if he could cook with us to get his Masters. I told him sure, but there were a few things he had to do in order to accomplish this:
1) Pitch in on expenses
2) Get there in time to set up
3) Stay all night
4) Help around camp during the day (i.e. dishes, trash, etc.)
5) Help tear down

He looked like I ran over his mother with my car. I asked him what the problem was and he replied: "I just wanted to get there after work on Friday and stay for a few hours."

Not happenin'.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #45
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

We've had two judges cook with us, one this year and one last year. We didn't ask for help with expenses and didn't require them to stay overnight since we really don't have room for another person, but both helped with setup and teardown, and both were a huge help throughout the competition. The stayed until we were ready to get some sleep on Friday night and were there when I woke up in the morning, so they really didn't miss much by not sleeping there.

If you were to ask either of them what they thought of the experience I know that both will tell you that it opened their eyes about what we go through as cooks. They also helped us out a lot with feedback, suggestions, etc. One of them has asked if he can cook with us once a year and we'd gladly have him.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote