MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #10756
PoppyJ
Found some matches.

I have read a lot about Temp gauge placement on these UDS's, probe length and so forth. I have an opportunity to pickup a Tel-Tru with an 8" probe for a great price. Would this be better in order to get a reading at the "near center" of the drum. This one just happens to be a lot better on price than some of the other Tel-Tru's.
PoppyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #10757
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyJ View Post
I have read a lot about Temp gauge placement on these UDS's, probe length and so forth. I have an opportunity to pickup a Tel-Tru with an 8" probe for a great price. Would this be better in order to get a reading at the "near center" of the drum. This one just happens to be a lot better on price than some of the other Tel-Tru's.
put it below the bottom grate and you should be fine
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #10758
N8man
Babbling Farker

Is the therm designed to be removable or permanent fixed?
If fixed then it will limit the size of the charcoal basket to be used....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyJ View Post

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #10759
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

What N8man said. It would be almost impossible to get you charcoal basket in & out with a probe that long that is mounted. 3" is about the max for a fixed therm.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #10760
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Or you can use a long stemmed pull-thru thermometer. Install a small brass nipple fitting with a hole the same size as the stem. The thermo will insert straight across and stay level.

Here I have a 12" turkey fryer thermo inserted in my UDS. I know I've posted this pic in this mega-thread about 2 years ago.

Last edited by Carbon; 04-02-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #10761
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Im using a 12in turkey fryer thermometer for my build using a brass fitting i had laying around.. I modified it a little and drilled a hole tru the center that way u can slide the thermometer in and out to remove the fire basket..Its pretty much same thing carbon posted above. Only thing bad about the turkey fryer thermometer is u can only find it with a two inch dial and most are cheap so im sure they are not very accurate haven't used mine yet so cant really say if it is are not.. If anybody knows where i can get one with a bigger dial please let me know..

Last edited by HookedOnQ; 05-12-2015 at 02:28 PM..
HookedOnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #10762
BigTone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey fellas, I was going to burn out my drum today or tomorrow, what size hole do I need to drill for the air hole in the bottom for the 3/4" threaded pipe nipples? is it a 7/8" hole? thanks, ~Anthony
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #10763
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTone View Post
Hey fellas, I was going to burn out my drum today or tomorrow, what size hole do I need to drill for the air hole in the bottom for the 3/4" threaded pipe nipples? is it a 7/8" hole? thanks, ~Anthony
I believe it is a 1" hole.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #10764
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

BigTone - I used a 1" holesaw for my 3/4" pipe nipples.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #10765
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Or you can use a long stemmed pull-thru thermometer. Install a small brass nipple fitting with a hole the same size as the stem. The thermo will insert straight across and stay level.

Here I have a 12" turkey fryer thermo inserted in my UDS. I know I've posted this pic in this mega-thread about 2 years ago.
The turkey thermometer is a little slow to show a temp spike. I like to use a $16 Wal-Mart digital.
cjs27410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #10766
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.
Here’s my UDS. $5 barrel and around $95 spent at Lowes. It took me a couple of weeks from start to finish using this thread as a step by step how to. Cooked a couple of “Boston Roasts” on Easter Friday. Started the charcoal chimney at 4:45 waited for nice blue smoke at around 6:15 before the butts hit the smoker. The small one, 5lbs, took 10 hours @ 235-265. The large one, 7.5 lbs took around 12 hours. Pulled the small one at 195 and the large one at 185. Rested both of them for an hour or so. A crowd of – I can’t wait to see what it tastes like – friends ate all of the Q before I could get a finished product photo. Next time I’m going to do 4.

THEY WERE REALLY GOOD.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #10767
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Default Year old UDS

Built my UDS last winter, and finally getting around to posting pics. 25 bucks for a barrell, buddy of mine sandblasted the inside and about a hundred bucks in various supplies and a CL find on a 22.5 BBQ pro kettle for the second grate and drum. Sits very nicely at 250-275 with both nipples capped and the valve about half open. LOVE IT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0337.jpg (43.4 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0339.jpg (81.5 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0043 (3).jpg (34.2 KB, 718 views)
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #10768
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTone View Post
3/4" trade size measures out at 1 1/8". At this size the threads will not grab the barrel. A good unibit will get you close to an inbetween size.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #10769
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=cjs27410;2435445]Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.
Here’s my UDS. $5 barrel and around $95 spent at Lowes. It took me a couple of weeks from start to finish using this thread as a step by step how to. Cooked a couple of “Boston Roasts” on Easter Friday. Started the charcoal chimney at 4:45 waited for nice blue smoke at around 6:15 before the butts hit the smoker. The small one, 5lbs, took 10 hours @ 235-265. The large one, 7.5 lbs took around 12 hours. Pulled the small one at 195 and the large one at 185. Rested both of them for an hour or so. A crowd of – I can’t wait to see what it tastes like – friends ate all of the Q before I could get a finished product photo. Next time I’m going to do 4.

THEY WERE REALLY GOOD.

Nice work! Can you tell me where you got the hook for your lid? I have been trying to find something and havent had any luck. Is it a part of your handle assembly? Thanks
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #10770
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

[quote=wmarkw;2436099]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs27410 View Post
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.

THEY WERE REALLY GOOD.

Nice work! Can you tell me where you got the hook for your lid? I have been trying to find something and havent had any luck. Is it a part of your handle assembly? Thanks
The handle is from a pressurized water can that had rusted. 5/16 threads. The hook is a piece of shifter linkage from my pile of junk container.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker