MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
BigWil
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First comp what to enter

Hey all. I want to compete in the Boo-b-que in rehoboth beach delaware. This will be my first competition ever. So my question is should I do the amateur 2 meat comp. Or the pro 4 meat comp. My thoughts are baby steps. Just dip your toes in the water and do the amateur. But my alter ego (go for it man) keeps saying if I'm going to be there all night anyway might as well put some meat on the smoker.
BigWil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #2
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Go for it Wil. Pigheaded BBQ will be there. If you have any questions, fell free to stop by our site, will be glad to answer any questions you may have. This is one of opur favorite comps.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

If you feel comfortable with all four meats, go for the pro side.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Consider the cost difference. Sounds like this might be your first visit to a comp. Consider the difference in expense (entry, meat etc) the price to learn. I'd suggest the amateur then spend as much time as you can soaking up knowledge from the pro's
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

I think the advice from poorolddan is pretty good. Do the amature comp and check out everything you can from the pro side.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

As a backyard team, I am going to suggest the amateur side. I am still learning, and recently entered a pro comp just because it was 4 miles from my house, and got my butt handed to me.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
morgan-que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Morgan

Just jump in both feet in to the deep end and go for the pro. Entry fee is not much more and the reward is greater. Not to mention it will be just that much more a learning process.

Good luck which ever way you go and remember either way you go you will be hooked!!

Old 09-03-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The sad truth is if your going into competition BBQ without due diligence your going into a battle with a pocket knife when everyone else has a sword.
If you can easily afford all the costs then just consider it a lesson.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Serious Hog
On the road to being a farker

Do the backyard/amateur and only focus on making 2 killer boxes. Spend the rest of the time learning from other teams, socializing, and just having fun. I promise you from experience, if you get called up on stage at your first comp you'll be hooked! We waited until we won our first Backyard Grand Champ before we started cooking Pro.

WSM 18.5" X4, WSM 22.5", WSM 14", Weber OTG 22.5", Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Go Anywhere, Char-Griller Outlaw, Char-Griller Pro, Old Smokey, Masterbuilt Elite
Serious Hog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
BigWil
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Hog View Post
Do the backyard/amateur and only focus on making 2 killer boxes. Spend the rest of the time learning from other teams, socializing, and just having fun. I promise you from experience, if you get called up on stage at your first comp you'll be hooked! We waited until we won our first Backyard Grand Champ before we started cooking Pro.

I think that is probably what i should do. I can afford to do both but in doing my due diligence I'm learning that i should probably just cook the amateur and try to soak up as much information as possible. So I'm just going to do the amateur. Thanks everyone for the advise and comments.
BigWil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
comp, Competition, first comp