MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Exclamation ***SPECIAL*** BBQ Brethren "Big Farking Sammich" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Our new SPECIAL TD Category is...

"Big Farking Sammich!"

"My, that's a BIG one!"

Who doesn't like a BIG Sammich? The culinary possibilities are virtually endless!

We thought this would be the perfect category to resume the Special Throwdowns, which will now occur once a month, although on occasion we may toss in an extra here and there when somebody comes up with a brilliant category.

So, GET COOKING!

Here are the RULES...

1. You must cook a BIG Farking Sammich.
2. The Sammich must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
3. Submitted dishes must be cooked between now and Sunday, March 31st
4. All pics (any number must be submitted by March 31st.
5. You may submit multiple entries if you desire. For each entry please specify which photo you want used in the voting thread, otherwise Biggles will choose and his decision will be final.
6. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
7. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
8. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
9. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO US! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to us via any other means will be ignored.
10. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
11. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your ENTRY posts family friendly.
12. The only time a team entry will be accepted is when the team entry is made by Brethren at a Brethren Bash, and the team name must also be submitted with the entry. Otherwise only individual entries will be accepted.

The voting will begin Monday April 1st after the "Vote" thread is submitted and will run through Sunday April 7th. All votes will be public.

Before submitting an entry to this Throwdown, make sure you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by Moose; 03-30-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
bigabyte

Default *OFFICIAL ENTRY* - Smoked Corned Beef on Everything Bagel Sammich!

I guess I'll start this one off!

I made some Smoked Corned Beef on my WSM Saturday as documented in this thread.

Now I like Reuben's and all, and I'm sure I'll make one with these leftovers at some point, but my FAVORITE sandwich with Smoked Corned Beef or Pastrami is on an Everything Bagel with lots of Mustard!

So here we go. Start with a toasted Everything Bagel...

Add one of your favorite mustards that you think pairs well. This one is a Dijon and the thought of it made my head all fuzzy, as you can tell from the photo.

Now add some of the Smoked Corned Beef.

I think a nice Spicy Brown Mustard is in order for the next step...

Mmmmmmm....Sauerkraut!

It could use some more meat...

Some more of that Dijon...

Now these are some Bread and Butter Jalapeno Pickles that I made a couple months back. I made them by taking a jar of Bread and Butter Pickles and a jar of Jalapenos, then combining the Bread and Butter Pickles (with their pickle juice) and the drained Jalapenos, and then packing back into the jars. Because the Jalapeno juice was drained, there was a lot of space left that was replaced with Sugar to get the whole mix back to the original sweet level of the Bread and Butter pickles and to somewhat tame the Jalapenos and make them into Cowboy Candy. Once this mingles, the Jalapenos are some serious nommage on Nachos, and the Pickles are now even better than before for some major Sandwich excitement.

I think a little more Smoked Corned Beef is a good idea, don't you?

Oh, gotta have more Spicy Brown Mustard.

Served with some Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper Kettle Chips.

It didn't suck!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mighty fine mustard bagel there biggie
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
deguerre

Shouldn't that be in the Small Farking Sammich TD? A bagel? You could have at least gone Dagwood on it.

Still though. I'll have one please.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
bigabyte

That's a 9x9 platter that is sitting on. And it's too tall to fit in my mouth. The sandwich is definitely a big'un.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
deguerre

No more that 4" diameter I bet. Poser.

I really need to copy Grail's avatar while posting these...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
bigabyte

Correction...I measured in case I was using "man" estimates.

It's a 10.5" x 10.5" platter.

I measured another bagel, similar size, it's 6" diameter. Probably about 4" tall on the sammich.

Duh.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good, but that is clearly not an everything bagel, I see sesame & poppy seeds, but no signs of garlic or onion which are standard fixin's for an everything bagel. I'll have to deduct points for falsifying your entry thread.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Correction...I measured in case I was using "man" estimates.

It's a 10.5" x 10.5" platter.

I measured another bagel, similar size, it's 6" diameter. Probably about 4" tall on the sammich.
OK. So it's a medium then.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
bigabyte

LMAO!!!

I think if you look a bit closer you will see irregular shaped pieces for the onion and garlic. Right up front even!

Damn...guess I should have put a ruler and some arrows pointing out all the bits on the bagel!

Duh.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

If there is garlic and onion on there then it is not much and you are clearly using a subpar product. Deducting points for poor ingredient selection!
[/B]Loser of Known Space
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

dig it baby, dig it.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Default Official TD Entry - Big Farkin' Sandwich: A Heroes' Journey

Our story begins in the quiet village of Hunger. A peaceful village which has provided abundant meals to its inhabitants for generations. Delicious meals of smoked meats, grilled vegetables, hearty soups and perhaps its most comforting elixir, gravy, kept the villagers strong, satisfied and free from want.

For more than 33 seasons the villagers of hunger lived tasty, satisfied lives. That was until the evil Lord Diet unleashed his forces upon the tiny village. For more than a fortnight the Lord Diet's minions, lead by Queen Wifey laid waste to the village, burning it's crops, setting free its livestock and extinguishing it's cooking fires. The poor Hungerians, weak and malnourished were on the brink of defeat but their spirit was still strong. They waited patiently for an opportunity to strike back against Lord Diet and banish him from the world. Last night that opportunity presented itself when the ever vigilant Queen Wifey left her post overlooking the village to celebrate her certain victory in the style to which she had become accustomed, cocktails with friends.

The poor starving Hungerians seized upon the opportunity and called forth four heroes from the furthest corners of the Earth to wage the ultimate battle against Lord Hunger and defeat his forces for good. From the South came Chicken Thigh,

From the East Round Steak,

From the West came Pork Chop

And from the North came the most famed warrior in all the land, Naked Fatty.

Our fearless warriors came together on the outskirts of the Village of Hunger and began their preparation for battle. Upon meeting the other Heroes, Naked Fatty left his party to scout the enemy forces amassed on Mt. Traeger.

Chicken Thigh, Pork Chop and Round Steak went through the needler and cast iron crusher to get themselves nice and tender.

When Naked Fatty returned from Mt. Traeger he had been transformed into a browned smokey super warrior. Their was party now complete our intrepid heroes began to assemble their battle armor.

First came

to enhance their flavor, seasoned flour to boost their adhesion, buttermilk for its viscosity and tangy properties and flour and fine cornmeal to help seal in their delicious juices.

Our brave contingent made their way through the Village Hunger and headed to Mt. Traeger where they threw themselves into the heat of battle.

Knowing that the battle would be hard (about 425*) and long (35 minutes) the Hungerians began to prepare their most healing and comforting of potions to welcome their victorious saviors home, fatty & buttermilk gravy.

They began with bacon drippings,

and then added flour to create a roux

When it reached a golden color, buttermilk and chicken base were added along with copious amounts of black pepper.

This was simmered until thick at which point some naked fatty was added for good measure.

The villagers also prepared a victory bed for their embattled heroes, a CWB brushed with bacon drippings and toasted to a golden brown.

As the battle raged on, the worst possible scenario unfolded. Queen wifey returned from her victory party to see her forces under attack. She unleashed her most dastardly weapons to try and keep Lord Diet's forces from being defeated!

Thankfully for the Village Hunger, our courageous heroes had the battle well in hand and were able to fight off this dastardly counter attack. Victory had been secured! Our heroes returned to Village Hunger, browned and hardened from battle, but fully intact.

They mounted their victory bed one at a time, each receiving a shot of rejuvenating Franks Red Hot to aid in their healing.

First came Pork Chop

Followed by Round Steak

Chicken Thigh

And finally our bravest warrior, Naked Fatty

As our heroes settled in to their victory bed the Hungerians smothered them with their most famous concoction, buttermilk fatty gravy,

And tucked them gently under the covers
(Entry Photo)

Victory has never tasted so good.
[/B]Loser of Known Space
Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
bigabyte

CLEAR!!!

Duh.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #15
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
My mouth was watering the whole time you were building this sandwich. I, too, LOVE layers of 'corned beef/pastrami/Montreal smoked meat' with layers of mustard and more and more. I REALLY LOVE mine with horseradish. My mouth is still watering, better have a gulp of the Guinness in front of me. Do you every fry up your saurkraut for a little brown and carmelization before putting it on? Mouth is watering again. Geez, Biggie, delicious looking sandwich!!
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote