• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket rub recommendations???

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Going to smoke a brisket next weekend and would love to know what's worked best for you as far as rub goes.

Thanks!

General rule of thumb: Start with the basics (salt/pepper first)... need a starting point first.

A foundation or a reference of taste first.

Too complex of a rub would not reveal what did or did not work.

I love meatheads big bad beef rub. I use it on both brisket and tri tip. Yes, I oil before rubbing. The oils help dissolve the oils in the spices and help penetrate the meat.

Does bbq always sous this dirty?

The smoking wood you use is very important when you use a simple S&P rub. Try post oak if you can find it, or white oak if not.

Too many good ones to name, just depends on what type of flavor you want. 50/50 course pepper and kosher salt works (adding some salt free lemon pepper is also good, thanks AK!) Oak Ridge Black Ops or their Comp. beef/pork, Bovine Bold, Smoking Guns hot.... etc..

I prefer 1/3 kosher salt, 1/3 fresh coarse pepper, 1/3 minced (roasted or not) garlic. Rub brisket with Worcestershire before applying rub. Fresh pepper ground in coffee grinder is best. All ingredients match up great with each other on size and go perfect with beef.

saltpeppergarlicrub002.jpg

t

50/50 of kosher salt and course black pepper and add 1/4 of total amount granulated garlic.

So, if you use 1/2 cup each of salt and pepper for 1 cup total, add 1/4 cup of granulated garlic. This had become my go to base and I use it straight up on many things lately.

Back