MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
2000milesofsmoke
On the road to being a farker

Default Instant Read Therm....

Anyone have any advice on alternatives to the Thermapen. Not sure I can justify $100 on a thermometer.
2000milesofsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Not quite as fast as a Thermapen, but still good.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...st/rt600c.html

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
bshm

They sent me a deal on a refurb, I deleted it but it might be an option. Give "em a call?
I'd put the Thermapen in the buy once cry once category.
bshm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Not gonna save you a bunch but I am happy with my PT100.. I went with the Maverick over the Thermapen due to backlighting.. Other than the other day when it read 7 degrees off my Mav 732 and I confirmed in boiling water and fixed with a change of AAAs I have been nothing but satisfied..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Does this work on chicken to get an actual temp readout?

To the OP here is one i really like and got at RD
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=156273

Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

check out the maverick PT-100. it is about half the price of a TP. i have both and the maverick gets used often also, i especially like how it has a back light on the display. check out this video that was made by a fellow brethren:

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
dawg
Got Wood.

bite the bullet and get the thermo pen it is worth it!
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I can't afford a thermapen either. Bought a $15 Taylor digital and it works JUST FINE.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
2000milesofsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
I can't afford a thermapen either. Bought a $15 Taylor digital and it works JUST FINE.
That is my issue. I purchased a cheaper Taylor and had major issues yesterday on my brisket smoke. It was reading 200 but was tough to insert because the meat was not tender and rendered yet.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like both the PT100 and Thermapen work very well.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I've done some research and read alot of good about the thermoworks rt600. I will be purchasing one soon to find out for myself since the thermopen isn't in the budget right now. I figure for $20.00 you cant go wrong

Old 07-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Teltum

I have a thermpen now. I used to have a cheap wireless meat temp thermometer but I quit using it after serving pink chicken to my family. If you only grill then cheap out. If you cook a lot spend the money on good equipment.

By good I mean a pt-100. A thermapen is very nice but a thermo-couple should do. The copay for 2 people getting food poisoning or the time off from an undercooked chicken for just one day pays for the better equipment. That is how I justified the cost.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000milesofsmoke View Post
That is my issue. I purchased a cheaper Taylor and had major issues yesterday on my brisket smoke. It was reading 200 but was tough to insert because the meat was not tender and rendered yet.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like both the PT100 and Thermapen work very well.
It may have been the brisket you know.. It's done when it's done. Experienced brisket meisters here recommend not to use a thermopen on brisket because the temp is irrelevant to the tenderness. When it probes like butter, it's done. Your Taylor is probably fine. Test it in boiling water. If it reads 212F, it's fine.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
2000milesofsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
It may have been the brisket you know.. It's done when it's done. Experienced brisket meisters here recommend not to use a thermopen on brisket because the temp is irrelevant to the tenderness. When it probes like butter, it's done. Your Taylor is probably fine. Test it in boiling water. If it reads 212F, it's fine.

Cheers!

Bill
Yeah, I understood it was the brisket. I didn't go by the therm. but by how it felt. Either way, it's bye bye taylor....

Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

If you really wanna save some money, have a look at this. I have one of these and it's fully adequate for BBQ and grilling use...

It's not quite as fast as the Maverick and Thermapen but it's faster than any of the others I have used that are cheaper than those two. How much money is a few seconds worth? :)
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote