MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Default Got my first batch of homemade charcoal going

I had to start the process last night because I had to get the wife to the airport this morning for business trip to NY city. Wanted to get started as soon as I got back this morning. Sorry if pictures ain't good all I have is an I phone. So hear we go, last night I split and filled the 30 gal barrel with pecan. And had that barrel sitting on a bucket raised off the ground.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471436.167476.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471456.968019.jpg

This was to make it easier getting it to sit flush with bottom of 55 gal barrel. Then it was a little tricky but i got the two flipped over.IImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471591.201212.jpg

Then this morning started filling around the the barrels with scraps from splitting and some bark and broken limbs, used leaves and pine needles to fill in voids.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471736.420985.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471760.637948.jpg

Got a small fire going on top and then put on the lid and stack and few blocks to help hold things down.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471831.130267.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471851.231158.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471868.534502.jpg

Thanks for looking and bareing with me on quality of my posting ability. I will update things as they progress today good or bad. Wish me luck!!

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pix are fine - keep 'em coming! Looking forward to the progrees - I'm jealous!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Nothing wrong with that!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Good Luck!
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Bludawg

I like it! Is that a R/F Chargriller outlaw I see

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
rexbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great to me. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Rex's Red Hot BBQ
[url]http://www.savoryreviews.com[/url]

KCBS & MABA Member
[B]Black Thermapen[/B] and Backup [B]Blue Thermapen[/B]!
BBQ Guru Shotgun Smoker, Traeger Lil Tex, Traeger Texas, Weber Performer, Weber OTS (X3), Weber Spirit (gasser)
rexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Ok I got things under control now . I think anyway. Wasn't gettin much of a draft so I took handy dandy cutting torch and blew some holes around the top of barrel. It's sounds like a small jet engine now.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359475108.825872.jpg

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I like it! Is that a R/F Chargriller outlaw I see
Good eye!! You are correct. I realy like it but dont use it much anymore.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

That is pretty cool!! I wish I had a handy dandy cutting torch for times like that. I bet you didnt even have to stop your burn or take it apart to do that huh.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
jestridge

I ran a 3/4 copperpipe from the lid to the heat source which give you extra heat as the gas burn Look like too much exhaust in my opinion
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Garrett
Babbling Farker

The fire burned out now. Just waiting on things to cool off. The suspense is killing. I may have farked up. I thought more was going to be better and I think the pine needles and leaves I used to fill in voids may clogged it a little from drafting. Oh well, if it didn't work, it will just be a learning process. Should know shortly.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359489305.665983.jpg

Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
I ran a 3/4 copperpipe from the lid to the heat source which give you extra heat as the gas burn Look like too much exhaust in my opinion
Thanks for advice. This is my first time trying this. If it don't work out I do plan cutting a little off the stack. Do you have any pics of the copper pipe that you want to share?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I see what you did now. Took me a while to figure it out. So you burned off the needles, etc as a way to get the logs to start smoldering also?
Was there a way for the flames, fire to get up under the barrel with the logs and therefore get those to start burning and smoldering also?
I'm curious with the results too.
Cool set up!
Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Bbq Bubba

Im going to guess you just have overheated wood inside the barrel.

Looking forward to seeing the results.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Garrett
Babbling Farker

As bad as I hate to admit it, looks like Bbq Bubba was right. Just a bunch of farking hot wood. I will not give up, I'm gonna make charcoal dang it. I'm going to make a few changes now and try it again. Right after I clean up my mess. I will investigate and report back. Making changes now!