MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Default Good Karma

O.K., I'm a Lutheran and don't believe in Karma. But I do believe in good vibes and I was remembering some of them today and thought I'd share.

Pork BBQlossal - Rooster from Florida Skin and Bones walked over to our camp and handed us a HUGE bone in pork chop and said "enjoy" - then he walked away. He's his own guy - but he's also a great guy. I also recall Spanky and the Meat Mafia throwing a HUGE party - must have fed around 75 people - on Friday night. Great neighbors in the mud.

Marshalltown was fun. That's when we met Boondoggle and hung out in the Qchen along with Rod from Busterdog. Lots of fun. Ryan was there as well, but we were too busy trying to shig to get any real conversation in. Boondoggle shared their beer and (was it Goodfellas?) shared their whiskey. However, nobody shared how to place over 25th in pork.

Waterloo...well, Waterloo sucked. Cold and hard to get the fire going. But Ron was generous with his coffee - which was some of the best I ever had! Rod's son showed what a gentleman he was as he hung out and offered to get us ice and water. He surprised me by asking how we were doing and about our summer. That's maturity for a teenager!

Nevada was really great. We ended up getting help from a lot of good folks. Rod let us hook up to his generator, and Boondoggle gave us some leftover parsley so that we didn't have to go into town to get some. Walking from camp to camp doing shots was a blast - especially when Bob from Smokehouse72 did his photo shoot. One of the best lines of the summer was spoken by that dude who was a judge in the OLN All-Star BBQ Showdown (he was a table captain in episode 3 of Pitmasters, too). Someone offered him some Templeton Rye. He responded: Give me 2 shots of that and I'll pi$$ you a shot of Jack Daniels!

The awesome thing about Nevada was watching the guy who ended up with RGC. We met him first at the Qlossal and he really struggled. Talking with him at Nevada it seemed like he was having a rough time at all his comps. Then he busted heads in Nevada and the look on his face was priceless.

I'm sure I have forgotten some stuff and some people but this is a start.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
This Is How We Que It
On the road to being a farker

I know Spanky and the Meat Mafia. Ran into them two years ago at the Great American BBQ, but didn't see them out there last year. Give me a hollar!
This Is How We Que It is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Man, Nate. I'm all stoked up to get back out there and create some new stories now. Thanks for the kind words regarding the waterboy.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

One of the best lines of the summer was spoken by that dude who was a judge in the OLN All-Star BBQ Showdown (he was a table captain in episode 3 of Pitmasters, too). Someone offered him some Templeton Rye. He responded: Give me 2 shots of that and I'll pi$$ you a shot of Jack Daniels!

His name is David and he is a tour guide at the Jack Daniels Distilary. We just saw him there for the Jack contest. Great guy
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
O.K., I'm a Lutheran and don't believe in Karma. But I do believe in good vibes and I was remembering some of them today and thought I'd share.
Karma is real brother, and it's got nothing to do with structured religion...

What comes round goes round, and that's one of the great things about comp bbq...

Hope to see you on the trail in 2010...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
GratefulSmoker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post

What comes round goes round, and that's one of the great things about comp bbq...

Very well put Jeff. Karma happens!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#00ff00][URL="http://www.smokinandfarmin.wordpress.com"][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black][U]Team Name:[/U][/COLOR] New Pigs On The Block BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][U][COLOR=black]Smokers:[/COLOR][/U] FEC100, 4 x Weber Kettles 22.5, 1951 Hasty Bake project, Hasty Bake Ranger[/COLOR][/SIZE]
GratefulSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post

Pay it forward. I'm a big believer in that.

See you out there Jeff.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote