MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Southern Pride mobile pit users

Hey Gents, quick question. What kind of power source will work to power a gas fired wood burning Southern Pride pit on a trailer. Will a small generator do the trick or would I need something more substantial? I'm looking at the possibility of either the 300 or 500 series. Keeping options open before spending $$$

Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Should mention, the power will only be used for the automatic ignition, exhaust, and rotisserie so can't imagine it will draw a whole lot of juice. Hoping a small, quiet generator would do the trick.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
BBQ BJ
Found some matches.

The info plate on my Southern Pride SPK500 shows a maximum draw of 5.5 amps. I have never had any issues with using a generator, however, I have a 9000 watt that I use for my house.
BBQ BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

42BBQ a Honda 2000 quiet generator should do the trick. I had a SPX 300 with smoke extractor and exhaust fan, ran my 13,500 BTU AC and had lights on and never an issue with the Honda 3000IE.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Beautiful, thanks for the info. Been thinking about Southern Pride vs a traditional stickburner for a lot of reasons. But one quick question, lots of mechanical and moving parts in an SP, how much annual maintenance goes into one?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
Beautiful, thanks for the info. Been thinking about Southern Pride vs a traditional stickburner for a lot of reasons. But one quick question, lots of mechanical and moving parts in an SP, how much annual maintenance goes into one?
Moving parts in a southern pride??? you have a electric motor driving the gear box via Vee belt, the gear box is a Boston reduction unit which drives a bull gear thropugh a pinion..mine runs 5 days a week during the busy season (spk 700), for maintinence use the food grade grease on the beariings once or twice a year, some grease on the pinion twice a year and once a year ck the gear box oil and drive belts.....the only problem with a SP, is it will trip a ground fault breaker....
I can put 20 butts in at 11:00, along with 10 briskets..set the temp ...add some wood....................................go to bed
and come back at 8 am and pull them out...you going do that with a stick burner?????????????????????
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Heck no I ain't Brother! Hence the leaning in that direction. It just seems like a great balance, wood burning but LP fired....match made in heaven. Just doing some basic calculations on amps vs watts and generator size to run the moving parts on an SP it doesn't take much in the way of juice.

The hold feature seems Taylor made for vending also. I sorta think I'd be foolish to look anywhere else for what I want to do.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
I can put 20 butts in at 11:00, along with 10 briskets..set the temp ...add some wood....................................go to bed
and come back at 8 am and pull them out...you going do that with a stick burner?????????????????????
You can if your cooking on an Oyler.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

also of note I will run day and night with the propane assist, only will use 2 20 pound picnic jugs of propane for 3 days and about 2 bushels of wood..if I am doing lots of chicken, you have to go lighter on the wood and crank it up to 325 or so for a ncie crisp skin....200 halves done in 70 minutes..