Myrtle Beach contest puts stop payment on checks

Pickin' Porkers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
With all the other problems at Myrtle Beach.... At first we thought the checks had bounced but in further checking with our bank, the Omar Shriners put a stop payment on two checks we won at Myrtle Beach over the Labor Day weekend. Not sure if anyone else has ever run across this situation before but I sure hope all teams will remember this activity in future contests.

Wow. That's just adding insult to injury right there.

In some States this could be considered fraud. Have you contacted the police?

Have you been given a reason why it was done?

Hmmm. I just checked and our checks so far are okay. I hope they stay that way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

...and the hits just keep coming. This is a contest whose issues just keep growing and growing. Being new at this, I don't have enough experience, but I can't imagine another contest being much worse than what I have heard about this one so far. Maybe somebody more seasoned and wiser can answer that one.

Be interesting to know what they're response is. I assume you have tried to contact them to find out why?

stopped checks sometime take several weeks before the action takes place, we had one here at work that took about 6weeks because of the different systems it has to go through. We ended up taking legal action to get paid.

Everyone I guess would agree a lot of people has lost respect that had a hand in this mess!

In the past KCBS has made good when an organizer defaults.

How did you find this out? I just deposited mine with no issues. Did your bank immediatly know it had a stop payment on it or did they have to wait until it processed?

Unless your bank and the bank the check is drawn on are the same you won't know if a stop payment was placed on them until they get processed through the system which will be several days. I deposited mine last Tuesday and so far they are still good.

I have not been given an official reason by the Omar Shriners why the stop payment was placed on these two checks and my bank has in fact indicated that a stop payment was issued by the check writer. I want to emphasis that this is NOT Shriners International but a division named the Omar Shriners based in Summerville, SC. Any comments or hard feelings should not be directed towards the wonderful Shriners Hospital.

I called the person in charge of the cook teams who acted as if he knew nothing about it with a promise "to look into it". The attitude indicated I would be waiting a very long time in hearing back. All that matters is that we have a contest organizer that does not honor their prize checks and the reason is irrelevant to me. The day after the contest I did have some issues about vending there which was resolved by our team packing up and leaving, however, vending the day after a contest is a completely different issue than the contest itself. The contest was over....a completely separate issue and doubt this was the reason.

The two checks totaled $600 and we have pissed more than that away at many contests on eating out and booze. Principle is the guiding factor here and we'll see how the two sanctioning bodies handle this since they have been notified (KCBS & SBN). They have not had enough time to investigate nor determine the corrective action; however, it is scary to know teams spend as much money as we do competing and that the sanctioning bodies may not have the backbone nor "teeth" to enforce the sanctioning agreement. We shall see how all this plays out.

Other issues such as power, water and turn-in mishaps are numerous and won't be discussed here. However, it is the responsibility of all organizers to provide sufficient volunteer labor to assist meeting the needs of the contestants and public which we did not see at this event.

Ever since hopkinsville, Ky, 2005, I've cashed my checks ASAP on monday.

Unless your bank and the bank the check is drawn on are the same you won't know if a stop payment was placed on them until they get processed through the system which will be several days. I deposited mine last Tuesday and so far they are still good.

Podge, I deposited my checks on Tuesday Sept. 4th...day after Labor Day and I just found out today!

I've never had that problem with any of the comps we cooked......but then, we never won anything either so it all kind of works itself out.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
I know there was a contest out here in CA a couple years back where the checks bounced. One of the teams had to go so far as to file a small claims court to get the matter resolved. As I recall, in CA there are laws that allow you to claim more than the actual amount through this type of lawsuit. Not sure if this is true elsewhere and if there is a difference between a bounced check vs. stopped payment. In any case, the organizer would be wise to make good on all payments as things could get very ugly fast!

With all the other problems at Myrtle Beach.... At first we thought the checks had bounced but in further checking with our bank, the Omar Shriners put a stop payment on two checks we won at Myrtle Beach over the Labor Day weekend. Not sure if anyone else has ever run across this situation before but I sure hope all teams will remember this activity in future contests.

This should really be handled differently. Sometimes chit happens. Either way you should contact them and give them a chance to make it right B-4 airing it out in a public forum.

Something similar about a year ago in St. Louis, although the checks didn't bounce, they just weren't given out. Although I think most or all got paid a few months later. Is this happening more often? It was asked back then, should KCBS be doing more about guaranteeing the awards $.

Back