Need confirmation on my estimates

walrus79

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm doing my first catering gig this Sunday. Pretty simple, they just want pulled pork (for sandwiches) and hot dogs, 75 each (but may up to 100 each, I'll know by the end of the day.

I'm planning to cook on average 10lb butts and do 4 (if 75) or 5 (if 100). I've read to factor about 40% loss of meat in cooking process and 1 lb will make 4 sandwiches. It's a church group (mix of adults and children), so I don't assume I need to factor for "big eaters". So, I should have roughly 24lbs (or 30lbs if they up it). Does this sound solid? I don't mind having some extra leftover, just don't want to be anywhere near running out.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

I did 28 lb (4 butts) for my sons Grooms Dinner last Friday, ended up with 17 lb pulled. There were 22 people. I ended up with 7 lb left over. Some had 6, some had 1. So 1/2 per person? It was well received.
Curly

Figure 5oz per person and add 10% and you will be fine. I would figure this using 50% loss during cooking.

I would cook 47lbs raw butts for 75 people and 63lbs for 100 people.

I just did a party for 70+ last weekend (think it was about 65 adults and 25 kids). 72 rolls, 72 chicken legs (25 lbs.) and 45lbs of raw butts. I took home one butt (7.5lb raw that I left hid in the cooler LOL) and a few pieces of chicken. 2 pieces of chicken in the last pan when I left. We let them self serve and they would get about 1/4 to 1/3 lb. on each sandwich or plated helping. Had maybe 2 or so lbs of pork left when I took off. I think you are right in the ballpark and I too always want to see some left over and people will pig out on real BBQ, even religious people! Good luck

Back