MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Default pork butt question

When I cook competition I always inject my pork butts. Am cooking for a group in a couple of weeks and am thinking I will not inject. For a competition eat one bite so want whatever extra flavor I can get. But with eating for dinner hot out of the cooler with sides and sauce to the eaters liking I am thinking the meat can hold its own without an injection. Any thoughts? Keith

Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've only injected once, and didn't really notice an improvement so...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
didisea
Take a breath!

I would think that you could consider these factors:
1. Type of cooker your using. If you aren't using a water pan type cooker you could add a small pan of water to the cooked to make a moister environment.
2. Are you cooking hot n fast or low n slow?
3. You could inject with just some apple juice type mixture and forgo the phosphates.
4. If you are just pulling vs. pulled and slices?
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
chad

I always inject. If it's good enough for the judges it's good enough for my guest. However, YMMV!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

I inject, but I have not catered for over 100 yet. Time becomes a factor.

Also depends on your injector. I have the cajun injector, and it will take a century if I still have it when I do a party of 200 or more.
There are injectors that will work faster than others.

Maybe don't use as much salt/sugar in your injection when cooking outside of competition.

Test, test, test. We BBQer's are much like scientist's. Trial and error.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I always inject. If it's good enough for the judges it's good enough for my guest. However, YMMV!
Your opinion is one I respect quite a bit. What are your reasons for injecting? Also, what ARE you injecting if you can say without releasing a team secret?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't think I have ever cooked a butt that wasn't injected, but if I had to cook for the multitudes I might have to rethink that. Why not inject, not enough time? We do it for the judges because there is a benefit to injecting. 5 minutes per butt and it's done.
I don't use the phosphates in the injection when cooking outside competition and use the usual mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, sugar, water, salt, and Texas Pete's Hot sauce. Lots of good recipes, all pretty similar.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Don't think I have ever cooked a butt that wasn't injected, but if I had to cook for the multitudes I might have to rethink that. Why not inject, not enough time? We do it for the judges because there is a benefit to injecting. 5 minutes per butt and it's done.
I don't use the phosphates in the injection when cooking outside competition and use the usual mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, sugar, water, salt, and Texas Pete's Hot sauce. Lots of good recipes, all pretty similar.
I tried it once because so many people, especially competitors, on this site do. For me, it really didn't make a that much of a difference in moisture or really flavor to warrant continuing, and I don't get complaints. It would depend on what was injected though I'm sure.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

My competition injection has phosphates in it to help hold moisture. I just don't know if that is needed for normal eating. I have so much leftovers from a competition that my at home eating is reheated frozen leftovers. It is rare for me to cook a butt home to eat. But from my vauge memory of times that I have cooked at home I have not injected at all or used a Chris Lily type injection and I don't think I have ever had one I did not like. I would just cook one up and see but I don't know if it will fit into my schedule or not. Thanx for all the input so far. Keith

Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

I recently did 10 butts for a vend, only 5 got injected. I cook them for 4-6 hours, foil till finished, hot hold and pull as needed. The non injected ones were fine when pulled but seemed to dry a little faster in the chafer. I just added a little juice that was left over in the foil and it perked them right up. Considering another vend at the end of the month where we will need 30+ butts and I'll be danged if I am gonna inject them.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
sunrise

I always inject for whatever, a comp, a farmers market, a catering job. Why would you not want to put your best product out for the people. If you want to please the judges, then you should also want to please your customers.
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
I always inject for whatever, a comp, a farmers market, a catering job. Why would you not want to put your best product out for the people. If you want to please the judges, then you should also want to please your customers.
So your telling me that you foil, use butter and brown sugar and sauce the chit outta your catering and vending food?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
So your telling me that you foil, use butter and brown sugar and sauce the chit outta your catering and vending food?
Honestly Bubba, I do. When my butts are in the smoker, (Lang 60) I let them go for 4 hours, then flip them over, fat side down, sauce them generously, let them go until they get to 175. At that point I put them in pans, pour sauce, apple juice & a little more rub on, then cover them with foil and let them go until 204, then we pull them and try to get them pulled as soon as we can handle them. Not to brag, but my pork butts are good, as far as customers go, they love them, a few of the comps we have done they won, then at others, the judges thought they were done too much for there liking.
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
bosshawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

Cooking for comp and cooking for 3 hundred people are 2 different things.judges are looking for specific tastes and textures.at catering gigs people just want great bbq.in a comp you mite pick 6 of your best ribs most ribs I serve would be deemed overcooked at a comp but my clients want fall off the bone
bosshawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #15
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Bosshawgs nailed... you cook for comps and vend different. If I cooked at my shack exactly how I cook for comps I would never sleep and go broke... just like I do at comps ;)

The key is cook to your target audience. For vending no need to inject the butt has plenty of moisture! I do foil mine to power thru the stall when I'm in a hurry.

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote