Yardbird

Weston81

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just picked up my first shaker of Yardbird last weekend after reading all the reviews online. I think I got a little carried away with it! I used almost an entire shaker on 4 racks of spare ribs. It was the smaller of the two shakers(7oz) but the ribs had a fair amount of heat to them. Do I just give them a light dusting next time? I was also wondering about possibly mixing a tbsp or so with apple juice to make as an injection for my pork butts and wanted to get some thoughts on that. Regardless my wife said they were the best ribs I have ever made and believe me I've tried a lot of things on ribs. I wasn't expecting the heat but enjoyed it, I just want to make sure I am not overdoing it and I actually ended up glazing the ribs with some bbq sauce to knock down the heat.

Normally I do to, but I didn't know if what I used was a ridiculous amount when it comes to Yardbird. With other rubs I have used either store bought, or home made I really lay it on thick. Guess I just wanted to know if anyone/everyone used less of this particular rub and also thoughts on how it would work as an ingredient for an injection.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Man, I've never been to another BBQ blog where it's so active. Stuff is constantly flying on the board. Great way to learn a lot but hard to keep up.

Just wanted some suggestions from other folks, especially on using it as part of an injection. Didn't know if anyone had tried it and if so what were the results

I cover my ribs so you don't see rib meat, but I don't cake it on. Make sure you always give rub time to dissolve before putting the heat to it.

Last edited:
I cover my ribs so you don't see rib meat, but I don't cake it on. Make sure you always give rub time to dissolve before putting the heat to it.

Yeah??? But what do YOU know about using Yardbird? Oh wait. Nevermind. :becky:

I use quite a bit of rub on mine, too. I like 50/50 Yardbird and Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple.

Do you use a mustard rub base to help it stick? I normally don't use it That may have part of my problem I used the mustard base and the same amount of seasoning as I normaly do. So I could've ended up with quiet a bit on there that usually fell off once I put my ribs in the rib rack.

Lots of guys here do a mustard slather and lots don't. If it tasted good to you then its probably the right amount. :thumb:

Back