MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
btcg
Babbling Farker

Default JOS BBQ Memories Class - Open Pit Cooking Technique

This class involves open pit cooking techniques, so I think it belongs in Q-Talk. Looking at the JOS site, I spotted something new:

BBQ Memories Class

January 7-9, 2011
In a time less complicated, when men barbecued out of necessity more than out of desire, BBQing was a way of life. It wasn't done because of competitions or to be the next food trend, it was done to be able to feed families, large ones, cheaply. The cheapest meat on a farm was pork. This class will cover what my Dad, Jack Mixon, first taught me about BBQ, and that was open pit cooking. I have constructed an identical replica of my family's original masonry pits and fire barrel. I'll cover selection of woods and starting of fires with lightered knots in the traditional manner. You'll go with me to my meat purveyor, Elmer Yoder, Yoder's Butcher Block, to select our whole hog, shoulders and ribs. Not only will we be doing open pit cooking , but we will also be preparing traditional South Georgia side dishes from start to finish, including Brunswick stew, cole slaw, potato salad, and homemade desserts.
We'll load the fire barrel and shovel coals all night, listening to grease sizzle on the embers, as it fills the air with aromas from days gone by. When the cooking is finished and the sides prepared, dinner on the grounds will begin. Fellowship, knowledge, and good food will have been shared.
Because this will be a more intimate setting than my other classes, I'm only taking 15 guests. This is not a competition class. You'll be learning a method of cooking that's is almost forgotten. If you love nostalgia and home cooking, join me January 7-9, 2011.
$1500

Fifteen hundred dollars? WOW.

Gotta say, I did the JOS august class, and was totally satisfied. It sharpened me up by at least 30%. I highly recommend the class. But this seems a bit over the top, IMO.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

Thinking about this, I wonder if this class has a deeper meaning. For one thing, if there's a lot of interest, I could see Myron expanding it from 15 people to the current class size. Why not?

Secondly, if there is a lot of interest, I wonder if this signals the end of the current cooking class, as we know it. Think about it: if enough people will pay $1500, why do the class at half of that?

I'm wondering if Myron's testing the waters, so to speak.

Good thing I got into the August class when I had the chance.

Also- if you've got a lot of corporate types who want to take the class so they can hang with Myron, why stop at $1500? I can see this evolving:

"have Myron come to your event... only $________."

-or-

"join Myron by the lake at _______ for a getaway weekend of competition style cooking techniques for only _______"

Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
This class involves open pit cooking techniques, so I think it belongs in Q-Talk. Looking at the JOS site, I spotted something new:

BBQ Memories Class

January 7-9, 2011
In a time less complicated, when men barbecued out of necessity more than out of desire, BBQing was a way of life. It wasn't done because of competitions or to be the next food trend, it was done to be able to feed families, large ones, cheaply. The cheapest meat on a farm was pork. This class will cover what my Dad, Jack Mixon, first taught me about BBQ, and that was open pit cooking. I have constructed an identical replica of my family's original masonry pits and fire barrel. I'll cover selection of woods and starting of fires with lightered knots in the traditional manner. You'll go with me to my meat purveyor, Elmer Yoder, Yoder's Butcher Block, to select our whole hog, shoulders and ribs. Not only will we be doing open pit cooking , but we will also be preparing traditional South Georgia side dishes from start to finish, including Brunswick stew, cole slaw, potato salad, and homemade desserts.
We'll load the fire barrel and shovel coals all night, listening to grease sizzle on the embers, as it fills the air with aromas from days gone by. When the cooking is finished and the sides prepared, dinner on the grounds will begin. Fellowship, knowledge, and good food will have been shared.
Because this will be a more intimate setting than my other classes, I'm only taking 15 guests. This is not a competition class. You'll be learning a method of cooking that's is almost forgotten. If you love nostalgia and home cooking, join me January 7-9, 2011.
$1500

Fifteen hundred dollars? WOW.

Gotta say, I did the JOS august class, and was totally satisfied. It sharpened me up by at least 30%. I highly recommend the class. But this seems a bit over the top, IMO.

Not the cheapest meat anymore.

Seems you could do all of these things in your own backyard and still keep most of your money in your pocket.

$1500 is STEEP! More power to him if people will pay that money. It does mean less work on his part if he has smaller classes.

MOD NOTE: Let's keep this thread ON TOPIC and free of off topic opinions, thoughts, etc about the individual involved. Otherwise, it will get moderated. Thanks.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
btcg
Babbling Farker

MOD NOTE: Let's keep this thread ON TOPIC and free of off topic opinions, thoughts, etc about the individual involved. Otherwise, it will get moderated. Thanks.

Bob

Bob,

I agree about off-topic comments, especially so after having Myron more or less confront me about past conduct by people here on the site.

But let me also state something here that you all are unaware of:

We met Myron's 19 year-old son when we initially pulled in on the first night, and we had many discussions with him. He told us that his Dad was looking to maximize his earnings, as he (Myron) could not be sure how long his fame would last: makin hay while the sun shines, so to speak.

His son also told us that he himself(Micheal) would be doing comps, starting in December. We thought it would be in addition to the JOS comp team... but he may be taking over the JOS comp team, so as to free up Myron.

As you noted, I don't blame him (Myron) for maximizing his income... just a shame that many may be priced out of a darn good class.

FORGOT: I believe Cowgirl cooks over an open pit quite a lot. Think it might be cheaper to take a class from her. ;)

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
BobBrisket

Quote:

Bob

Bob,

I agree about off-topic comments, especially so after having Myron more or less confront me about past conduct by people here on the site.

But let me also state something here that you all are unaware of:

We met Myron's 19 year-old son when we initially pulled in on the first night, and we had many discussions with him. He told us that his Dad was looking to maximize his earnings, as he (Myron) could not be sure how long his fame would last: makin hay while the sun shines, so to speak.

His son also told us that he himself(Micheal) would be doing comps, starting in December. We thought it would be in addition to the JOS comp team... but he may be taking over the JOS comp team, so as to free up Myron.

As you noted, I don't blame him (Myron) for maximizing his income... just a shame that many may be priced out of a darn good class.
I can totally see the idea of capitalizing on his fame while he can. It's really is a business decision for him and probably a retirement decision as well. As you said, it's sad though that many people that can't pay that kinda "hay" will be left out. Personally, I'd love attend a class with that type of theme. I've always loved that style of cooking. This could also be a sign that Myron is looking to give a bit more control to his son and is grooming him to take over the bizz.
Would be worth it just to see the pit he built and get ideas for making your own. Sadly though, I just ain't got that kinda hay.
Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I can totally see the idea of capitalizing on his fame while he can. It's really is a business decision for him and probably a retirement decision as well. As you said, it's sad though that many people that can't pay that kinda "hay" will be left out. Personally, I'd love attend a class with that type of theme. I've always loved that style of cooking. This could also be a sign that Myron is looking to give a bit more control to his son and is grooming him to take over the bizz.
Would be worth it just to see the pit he built and get ideas for making your own.
Bob
Give me a few minutes and I'll let you guys in on a few things that happened during the August class on this topic that wil interest you guy, and especially those competing against the JOS team.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds like a cool class. Gotta win me an episode of BBQ Pitmasters so I can afford this and a few others.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

Okay, so, you'd like to see the pit that was constructed?

It's behind Myron's son:

It wasn't quite complete in August, but I'm sure that it is now. The 2 boxes are sitting on the grate.

Now, as to Myron's son and his ability, I snapped that picture as Myron was instructing us as to making his whole hog pre-cook injection.

As you can see, Micheal was standing near the pot and adding the ingredients per his Dad's instructions. It was soon painfully clear that Micheal was a raw rookie as to BBQ techniques.

Of course, Myron began by having the liquids added to the cooking pot. After each ingredient, he'd pause and allow us to take notes. After the liquids were heating, he began discussing the dry ingredients we'd be using. Before you knew it, Micheal had grabbed the dry ingredients and poured them into the pot.

BUT: you've gotta let the liquids heat up so as to allow the dry ingredients to dissolve properly. This is where it got comical.

Myron looks over at his son and says:

"Micheal, you didn't add those dry ingredients in yet, did you? That pot's got to heat."

Micheal, of course, does what most 20 year olds will do: he lies:

"NO...no, I..... ugh, didn't"

Of course, we all saw him, and he wasn't fooling his Dad. After a few well crafted obscenities at his son, we continued. It was a hoot.

But this is something to consider if Micheal does enter comps, as planned. It was quite clear that he's got a lot to learn. Good to know if you're competing against him.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
BobBrisket

LOL!! I'm sure his learning curve will be a lot less than the average person with all that knowledge and gear at his disposal.

That pit is really nice. Just curious, did you happen to notice if the pit is as thick as a full size brick (top layer), or is that top layer of brick cut in half? Did he use firebrick as the inside course or just regular brick?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
The drunken pig
Got Wood.

So his son the Rookie is going to be teaching the class?

And it costs 1,500 buck?

1,500 bucks is an obscene amount of money.
The drunken pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

I don't have 1500.00 of nostalgia in me. I'd rather put 1500.00 worth of beer in me
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Do we bring our own lighter fluid or is it included in the $1500 ?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
The drunken pig
Got Wood.

Or why not spend 1,500 bucks on meat and bbq it yourself.

You could be build your own damn bbq pit with 1,500 bucks.

This celebrity thing is a scam.
The drunken pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Okay, so, you'd like to see the pit that was constructed?

It's behind Myron's son:

It wasn't quite complete in August, but I'm sure that it is now. The 2 boxes are sitting on the grate.

Now, as to Myron's son and his ability, I snapped that picture as Myron was instructing us as to making his whole hog pre-cook injection.

As you can see, Micheal was standing near the pot and adding the ingredients per his Dad's instructions. It was soon painfully clear that Micheal was a raw rookie as to BBQ techniques.

Of course, Myron began by having the liquids added to the cooking pot. After each ingredient, he'd pause and allow us to take notes. After the liquids were heating, he began discussing the dry ingredients we'd be using. Before you knew it, Micheal had grabbed the dry ingredients and poured them into the pot.

BUT: you've gotta let the liquids heat up so as to allow the dry ingredients to dissolve properly. This is where it got comical.

Myron looks over at his son and says:

"Micheal, you didn't add those dry ingredients in yet, did you? That pot's got to heat."

Micheal, of course, does what most 20 year olds will do: he lies:

"NO...no, I..... ugh, didn't"

Of course, we all saw him, and he wasn't fooling his Dad. After a few well crafted obscenities at his son, we continued. It was a hoot.

But this is something to consider if Micheal does enter comps, as planned. It was quite clear that he's got a lot to learn. Good to know if you're competing against him.
Not to take anything away from Micheal but I would have to say Nick is more of a right hand man to Myron..I think he might not have been there when you were there..I think he was up in Michigan that weekend at a comp..He is one hell of a smart guy and BBQ is a great passion of his..anyway sorry to ramble..Myron and his whole crew treated us like family when we were there in Feb.then in March we got to hang with his team all weekend long at smoke on the water..such cool people!
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

If, given the circumstances and opportunity, I don't believe there is a single member of this forum who would not want to capitalize on their fame.

Five years ago I would have thought it crazy that a group of 10 local guys would pay me $80.00 a head for a grilling class. Myron probably never thought, when he started out, that what he has achieved was possible.

Are my talents worth $80 a head? Is Myron's talents worth $1,500 per head? If someone is willing to pay it, then they are.

I say "good on you" Myron. Get everything you can get out of this opportunity.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cooking School, JOS, Myron Mixon